• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Can anyone recommend a motherboard from the £300 range. My 3770K is due an upgrade.

I was leaning towards the Asrock X670E Pro RS because it has PCIe 5.0 to future proof as I don't upgrade often.

I'd wait for b650e should have PCIe 5.0 with 1 gen 5 m.2

Few weeks I think

You set your fans to the maximum percent you feel comfortable with in terms of noise when the cpu hits 95c. With my t30 120 fans i would set them 60% @95c for example
It wouldn't be adaptive though. You'd need to set - as you say - the fan speed to what you're comfortable with 24/7, rather than what you'd allow it to peak at during intensive usage. Which means you lose the difference in cooling between your 24/7 and peak settings.

For me (I demand a completely silent PC when just browsing or watching media) this would be a significant problem. However another poster suggested there's an upcoming ECO mode, which restores behaviour to the Zen 3 template of hitting TDP etc before hitting the thermal limit.

After watching Jay and Steve do stock and overclocking testing with water, AC and LN2, I've got a kind of idea of the behaviour profile of a 7950x

By default, the 7950x's clock profile is quite conservative under water/air cooling and if you have a decent air cooler or AIO you'll be looking at your 7950x doing 5/5.1ghz all core.

If you happen to get better than AIO temps by either using an AC unit, sticking your radiator in the fridge, LN2, delidding direct die or w/e you can think of, that stock 7950x will run at 5.4ghz all core but won't go higher as the stock voltage create a power limit.

This tells us that the 95c temp limit, is limiting our performance - a stock 7950x is actually trying to reach 5.4ghz all core but it can't because normal AIO and air cooling isn't good enough.

But like I said the 7950x is very conservative and you can get better performance without better cooling - by doing manual adjustments in the bios you can get the 7950x to 5.3ghz, maybe 5.4ghz with Air or AIO cooling by playing around with voltage or just forcing it to push a fixed clock. And I think as time passes, people will find way to go even higher than 5.4ghz on air/water

Last edited:
Psst undervolting. I think there is a video incoming of Wendel overclocking via undervolting as he mentioned this in his recent motherboard review.

Jay tried undervolting but I don't think he quite knows what he's doing so it kept crashing anytime he tried it. Steve said he would undervolt on his stream today but I stopped watching before he got to it. The skaterbench guy got his 7950x to boot into windows and it can run a few seconds of benching load before crashing at 6ghz all core using an AIO cooler and tuned curve optimizer

Last edited:
From Puget Systems, the 7950x is 53% faster than a 12900KS in Unreal Engine 5

Just to be clear, this isn't 53% faster in playing UE5 games, its 53% faster in using UE5 to make games

Last edited:
Another quick question please.

Safe to assume a 1kW PSU is good for a 7950X with a future RTX4090?

Ta
In addition to what Dave2150 has posted, Nvidia have stated 850W is enough - this must apply to their FE gpu's - as Gibbo has stated some AIB 4090's have spec'd 1200W for their cards. A few ATX 3.0 psu's are available to buy from a competitor but not much choice as yet. OC's have them to pre-order.

Last edited:
Jay tried undervolting but I don't think he quite knows what he's doing so it kept crashing anytime he tried it. Steve said he would undervolt on his stream today but I stopped watching before he got to it. The skaterbench guy got his 7950x to boot into windows and it can run a few seconds of benching load before crashing at 6ghz all core using an AIO cooler and tuned curve optimizer

Jay doesnt understand AMD full stop - it showed when his `uber` 6900XT oc video had lower clocks than everyone on this forum.....

yes to those things :)

Personally, I'm waiting for the B650 boards, they look decent.
Think there's likely to be any price drops on the cpus soon due to raptor lake? Don't want to get caught out there, but I can at least keep hold of the ram because it's gone up in price since ordered anyway. I might also wait for b650 since they're releasing so soon then.

Think there's likely to be any price drops on the cpus soon due to raptor lake? Don't want to get caught out there, but I can at least keep hold of the ram because it's gone up in price since ordered anyway. I might also wait for b650 since they're releasing so soon then.
Prices will rather go up than down due to poor £ vs $ exchange rate.
Raptor Lake is priced very similar to Zen4 so don't expect any price changes unless it will be a lot faster which is unlikely.

Guys

I need to re-order 7950X and my cost is considerably higher as such if your thinking of buying one get it done as the price will go up later / tomorrow as re-buy is much higher due to weak pound.

Back
Top Bottom