• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

so, the air coming from the back of your pc isn't warming than the air int he room? how big is the room your pc is in?

Obviously, people are exaggerating and making it like a meme.... since AMD users used to claim how cool the chips run.

Even spiders seem to notice the wall near my pc is warmer than the rest of the room
CPU temp isn't the complete picture. Rip the cooler off a 5600x, temps go to 100c. Has the room got any hotter?

Last edited:
so, the air coming from the back of your pc isn't warming than the air int he room? how big is the room your pc is in?

Obviously, people are exaggerating and making it like a meme.... since AMD users used to claim how cool the chips run.

Even spiders seem to notice the wall near my pc is warmer than the rest of the room
As others have tried to explain, the heat of the air coming from your PC is not directly related to the temperature of a thermistor in the middle of the processor. It is only related to the amount of power that is being used by the components in the PC, including the CPU. This is pretty basic physics.

I agree that "95c is acceptable" seems quite the switch around. I guess we just have to get used to it and adjust our fan (or pump) curves accordingly.

But it is the power that makes the room hotter.

As others have tried to explain, the heat of the air coming from your PC is not directly related to the temperature of a thermistor in the middle of the processor. It is only related to the amount of power that is being used by the components in the PC, including the CPU. This is pretty basic physics.

I agree that "95c is acceptable" seems quite the switch around. I guess we just have to get used to it and adjust our fan (or pump) curves accordingly.

But it is the power that makes the room hotter.

You can adjust the max temp down to say 65c, looking a results at that temp the performance difference is negligible. I would aim for 80c.

Yes, I've done it many times, for you even, in the same way that a power supply is not a 1:1 of what the system is pulling vs what the PSU is pulling at the wall, there are efficiency looses in the components and circuitry, so a CPU pulling 242 watts at the socket is pushing a fistful more watts at the power rail.
But that entirely has to do with the motherboard and not the cpu, doesn't it?

But leaping out is the fact the high end the Zen4 cpu is often well above 30% extra performance within the same power budget
Because you are comparing it to last gen instead of it's actual competitor that comes out in a few weeks? I mean if raptor lake launched 2 days ago, would you be comparing it to the 5950x and claiming efficiency and performance wins? No, that would be dumb since zen 4 would be right around the corner. Well...

Because you are comparing it to last gen instead of it's actual competitor that comes out in a few weeks? I mean if raptor lake launched 2 days ago, would you be comparing it to the 5950x and claiming efficiency and performance wins? No, that would be dumb since zen 4 would be right around the corner. Well...
Because you are comparing it to it's actual competitor - because it is
fixed that for you :)

So you agree the 13900K is the space heater, you dug that one yourself.

Will need to see official reviews looking at power consumption in games, productivity etc before we can know this! The 12900k was more efficient in games than the 5950X, with the latter being more efficient in rendering/MT workloads. I suspect we'll see similar with 13900k vs 7950X, though IMO the 13900k will make further gains over AMD in this area, due to the efficiency of the E cores.

Last edited:
The 7950X has a TDP rating of:
170 watts to 225 watts boost
Maximum tested power consumption is 226 watts

The 12900K has a TDP rating of
125 watts to 242 watts boost
Maximum tested power consumption is 260 watts

All that's fine ^^^

AMD claimed Zen 4 is a more effient architecture than Zen 3.

At 120 watts the 5950X scores about 26,000 in R23

Locked to 65 watts the 7950X scores between 28,000 and 31,000 depending on whose review it is.

At the same wattage the 5950X scores about 15,000, half.

That's nothing short of amazing efficiency, a 12900K can't even do that at 300 watts. He has no right to bemoan AMD's architectural claims, its wilful ignorance, unlike a lot of others he hasn't even done any apples to apples testing for architectural efficiency.

Zen4 is going to absolutely slay Intel in laptops, the efficiency is amazing. Zen4 only has high TDP on desktop because for years PC gamers have been saying they don't care about power draw only performance, so that's what you get now, max performance. But of course the CPUs are amazingly efficient and can be manually tuned by owners and in laptops they will be by default tuned that way too - going to see Zen4 gaming laptops with cool temps and long battery life and with higher single and multithread performance than a 240w desktop 12900k, nothing short of amazing

Last edited:
When I look at the prices 7700X vs 5800X3D, its basically the same price, except the AM5 needs a motherboard and RAM as well so theres that. So I might wait for the 5800X3D to come down in price and get that and wait for Zen 5 or 6. DDR5 prices have to normalise first.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard from the £300 range. My 3770K is due an upgrade.

I was leaning towards the Asrock X670E Pro RS because it has PCIe 5.0 to future proof as I don't upgrade often.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard from the £300 range. My 3770K is due an upgrade.

I was leaning towards the Asrock X670E Pro RS because it has PCIe 5.0 to future proof as I don't upgrade often.
I would question why you want to spend £300 on a motherboard.

Look for the features you want, then decide if they are worth the price they are being sold for.

Hopefully somebody will come on and help you .:)

I think in a few weeks you have cheaper motherboards coming out I think
that havent got so many features if you're prepared to wait.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom