• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

I really don't understand AMD's motherboard releases. Surely to get the maximum number of sales they should launch them alongside the cpu's? Instead they delay them for months in which time prospective 9000 series cpu buyers will have gone with X670/B650/B620 boards. Delaying B850 boards until at least January is just foolish when they could have been already selling them for almost 6 months.
Well they release the x870 first because they make more profit on them. When sales slow, release the B boards. If they were all released at the same time the 870s wouldn't sell as well, therefore less revenue.

Intel's huge launches used to really get tons of publicity but even they now stagger things no matter how much OEMs used to love the launch-event hype.

I'm sure staggering is done in such a way as to maximise sales especially from serial upgrades, but I also suspect that launching everything at once would require far more validation, logistics, and OEM relationships people, hence why even Intel no longer do it.

The motherboard chipsets are all rebrands anyhow so aside from maybe better traces at the high-end for faster DDR5 (which forces a poorer ratio anyhow), the only thing the new motherboard might brings is a (possibly momentary) reduction in prices of existing ones.

Last edited:
The motherboard chipsets are all rebrands anyhow so aside from maybe better traces at the high-end for faster DDR5 (which forces a poorer ratio anyhow), the only thing the new motherboard might brings is a (possibly momentary) reduction in prices of existing ones.
This is a good point as not launching new 800 parts means they can still charge a premium for the 600 chipsets over the Zen 5 launch period, as someone’s whose been monitoring the motherboard market for the last few months I’ve seen board prices have actually increased for this launch and less deals are running.

Well they release the x870 first because they make more profit on them. When sales slow, release the B boards. If they were all released at the same time the 870s wouldn't sell as well, therefore less revenue.
But even the X870 boards are still not available. To me it makes more sense to launch the boards at the same time as the cpu's otherwise people will have already bought the older and cheaper boards.

X870 is barely an update by the looks of it, mostly just adds USB4.

And Wifi7

Which of course anyone can do themselves on their current board by buying a wifi7 add on, you don't need a new board but wifi7 is one of the only new features of x870 lol

Last edited:
Some interesting findings on DDR5 with the 9950x here:

I'm currently waiting for Corsair Vengeance 6000 to be delivered, although they are tighter (30-36-36-76) than the tested GSkill (30-38-38-96). I wonder how that might narrow the gap.

Hovering my mouse over the buy button for a 6400 kit instead, and return the 6000. Disaster.
judging from timings that 6000 is a hynix kit, and all of them are capable of 6400. Relax timings to match 6400 kit and manually select memory speed
as long as your CPU can do it of course. 6200 should be doable in any

note that in phoronix article 6400 is on top not only from speed/timings, its the only dual rank kit

Last edited:
M-die is great for my 7800X3D, here are the timings I've been able to achieve (1.35v)

image.png

It can do 2200FCLK solidly but I get an odd audio issue so took it back a little.

AIDA64 score;

image.png

Seems decent for 6000 stuff and am happy enough with it :)

edit - It's Gskill stuff I use

Last edited:
judging from timings that 6000 is a hynix kit, and all of them are capable of 6400. Relax timings to match 6400 kit and manually select memory speed
as long as your CPU can do it of course. 6200 should be doable in any

note that in phoronix article 6400 is on top not only from speed/timings, its the only dual rank kit
I'm actually pretty gutted about it. Spent lots of time and (way too much) money ordering what I thought were the perfect parts. Everything is here, just waiting for the memory to arrive tomorrow.

I think I would feel significantly happier with it being EXPO rather than having to manually overclock. I'd be so disappointed if it was unstable. I don't really have the time right now to learn all about mem timings etc.

The 6400 kit used is XMP and not EXPO, does that matter?

I'm actually pretty gutted about it. Spent lots of time and (way too much) money ordering what I thought were the perfect parts. Everything is here, just waiting for the memory to arrive tomorrow.

I think I would feel significantly happier with it being EXPO rather than having to manually overclock. I'd be so disappointed if it was unstable. I don't really have the time right now to learn all about mem timings etc.

The 6400 kit used is XMP and not EXPO, does that matter?
I am not sure exactly what kit you bought, but looking at the results I bet you are loosing 5%-6% performance at BEST. I would not worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom