• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

I've not used SteamOS since the early days, when it could only play about 20% of my game library.
I can't even find Linux apps for Battle.net, Epic Store, EA or Windows Store (I guess, duh).

I guess you have to emulate them? Does that lose much performance (since that's the thing we're interested in here).

I've not used SteamOS since the early days, when it could only play about 20% of my game library.
I can't even find Linux apps for Battle.net, Epic Store, EA or Windows Store (I guess, duh).

I guess you have to emulate them? Does that lose much performance (since that's the thing we're interested in here).

Its very much better now, its still not 100% but like 90% and getting better all the time, Valve developed Proton as a DXVK translation layer, i have little knowledge on it TBH but i game with someone who is a Linux fanboy and he's been using Proton for some years, he can play every game that i do, often with higher relative performance, just plain better, its why the Steam Deck works so well despite it having much weaker hardware than the ROG Ally.

Valve have confirmed they are developing SteamOS for competitors handhelds, such as the ROG Ally, Asus are dumping Windows and going SteamOS, there is also a renewed interest in SteamOS as a standalone ISO.

Last edited:
I downloaded 26100.1150 and did a clean install, I used the MW3 in game benchmark before and after and saw no CPU performance improvement from 23H2 to 24H2 with a Ryzen 7600. Weird because it was one of the biggest gains on the HUB video.

I downloaded 26100.1150 and did a clean install, I used the MW3 in game benchmark before and after and saw no CPU performance improvement from 23H2 to 24H2 with a Ryzen 7600. Weird because it was one of the biggest gains on the HUB video.

What GPU and resolution? the gains will mostly be seen at 1080p and below - at 1440p with high settings or 4K the GPU is the bigger bottleneck and CPU gains are much reduced.

I was just about to say ^^^^^ unless you're actually testing for a CPU bottleneck you're not going to see any improvement. Its not as if this patch will make your GPU faster, you know...? :)

Last edited:
While on this subject...

DX11 on the left, Mantle on the right, with a CPU that defiantly bottlenecked the game, in DX.

Not only are the frame rates 2X as high, the frame times in DX11 at this time were horrendous, these days even 30 FPS can still feel smooth if also a little laggy on DX12 or Vulkan, in those days even at 60+ it was like a stab in the eye with a rusty nail compared to what we have today.

Last edited:
What GPU and resolution? the gains will mostly be seen at 1080p and below - at 1440p with high settings or 4K the GPU is the bigger bottleneck and CPU gains are much reduced.
I was just about to say ^^^^^ unless you're actually testing for a CPU bottleneck you're not going to see any improvement. Its not as if this patch will make your GPU faster, you know...? :)
4K with DLSS Quality. However the MW3 benchmark has separate GPU and CPU numbers, and when I upgraded my CPU before the CPU scores improved significantly. 23H2 to 24H2 gained nothing.

I changed my settings to 1080p basic, I'm getting an average of 319 fps and a 1% low of 173 fps. That's very close to 23H2 from the HUB video which gets 331 fps average and 167 fps 1% low, my 7600 is weaker than the 7700x they tested but I use tighter RAM timings.

For some reason I'm not getting the new branch prediction optimizations on 24H2, not sure why. The iso that I downloaded was Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-gb_26100.1150. I created the USB installer using rufus and disabled the requirement for TPM, secure boot, Bitlocker and an online account.

Back
Top Bottom