• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
Interestingly the 7600 performs a little better than my 5800X3d so there's obviously a number of factors, IPC, frequency and cache. I reckon this will be good until the "8800X3D" has dropped in price. It really depends on when you decide you need to upgrade.

The 7600 is an impressive CPU and certainly performs well. I suppose as you say, it all comes down to price and need.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? You tried cyberpunk with RT on a 6950xt and it played well? I mean come on...

The point is, 6 cores are not enough nowadays to give you a high end experience, and that's why they shouldnt start at 300$ / € or what have you. Even if your interest is just gaming, 6 cores offer a subpar experience, not just in gaming itself but also loading times, shader compilation time etc. They should start at 200 and 8core + cpus should sit at the 300$ sweetspot

All of this statement needs to be quantified. 100% feels with 0% context.

Anyway, I expect the 8600-8800X Zen 5 chip will perform very well.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh it will for sure but I think that some (not many) games want more multithreaded performance than is available from current gen 6 core CPUs.
as far, ipc and mhz and cache are dominators for gaming.
games atm means up to 4 cores is enough, 6 cores is a likely sweetspot for many.
8 cores does not add much for gaming yet.
I had 6 cores since zen1 to zen4 until the recent 7800x3d but I bought it for the cache, not for 2 extra cores.
Games I play is fluid in a way due to the cache tech.

Soldato
as far, ipc and mhz and cache are dominators for gaming.
games atm means up to 4 cores is enough, 6 cores is a likely sweetspot for many.
8 cores does not add much for gaming yet.
I had 6 cores since zen1 to zen4 until the recent 7800x3d but I bought it for the cache, not for 2 extra cores.
Games I play is fluid in a way due to the cache tech.

For playing games it’s not just about the CPU but the CPU and graphics card. Nvidia offload a lot of work to the CPU and also have more of a CPU overhead per core.

Soldato
The question is, can the 7600 beat the 7700? Or maybe can the 7600 beat the 5900?
The question should be can one CPU outperform another. Fixating on a single part of an architecture isn’t that useful in a vacuum.

Cores are a means to an end. They are not an end unto themselves.

There will undoubtedly be 6 core chips in the future that curb-stomp today's 16-core chips.

I want the same money to buy more and more *performance* in the future. I'm buying what I get *out* of a CPU.

What manufacturers put *in* the CPUs is just interesting techno-triva.

Last edited:
Soldato
The question should be can one CPU outperform another. Fixating on a single part of an architecture isn’t that useful in a vacuum.

Cores are a means to an end. They are not an end unto themselves.

There will undoubtedly be 6 core chips in the future that curb-stomp today's 16-core chips.

I want the same money to buy more and more *performance* in the future. I'm buying what I get *out* of a CPU.

What manufacturers put *in* the CPUs is just interesting techno-triva.
Obviously if the choice is between a CPU with 50% more cores or 50% more ST performance, the latter is better. The problem is getting 50% increases in ST performance gen on gen is absolutely impossible, especially doing it consecutively. So we are left with more cores as the only viable alternative to get more performance out of CPUs. 6 core cpus in general are still fine, but they don't belong in the 300 msrp price range. They should be entry level at 200 and below. I mean thats how much all 6 core zens cost before AMD pulled an intel in 2020 with zen 3.

Associate
Getting a six core now mean you will need to upgrade much sooner, which is good for AMD sales. The base CPU should be 8+ cores buy now. Hopefully the consoles will get a core bump, if/when this happen, the six core will be in real trouble.
Nah I need an actually good game that isn't a bad port to convince me we're in the 8C/16T era. I'm still only planning to get a 8600 non X when they're out, or when they're on sale. Need = when a thread is at 99% in a game.

Soldato
Nah I need an actually good game that isn't a bad port to convince me we're in the 8C/16T era. I'm still only planning to get a 8600 non X when they're out, or when they're on sale. Need = when a thread is at 99% in a game.
If everyone gets a six core, no games will need more than 6 cores as most developer will target the most common spec, even if they need to dumb things down. In my opinion, the AMD six core (at ~£250) is the worst value CPU and the best value AMD CPU is 7950X (at ~£550). This is strange as its normally the opposite which is good for people that want/need a 7950X and bad for six core buyers. The six core only exists to sell the dies that have issues, the price should reflect that.

Soldato
If everyone gets a six core, no games will need more than 6 cores as most developer will target the most common spec, even if they need to dumb things down. In my opinion, the AMD six core (at ~£250) is the worst value CPU and the best value AMD CPU is 7950X (at ~£550). This is strange as its normally the opposite which is good for people that want/need a 7950X and bad for six core buyers. The six core only exists to sell the dies that have issues, the price should reflect that.
The 7600 can currently be had for £218.99 plus a free game. Seems like decent value to me and competes with the 5800X3D. I own both of them.

Associate
Yes all chip production revolves around this otherwise it's just expensive sand.

If I spend £308 on a 7700 vs £218 on a 7600 my average performance goes up by 2% @ 1440p. Hence why I won't be bothering just yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes all chip production revolves around this otherwise it's just expensive sand.

If I spend £308 on a 7700 vs £218 on a 7600 my average performance goes up by 2% @ 1440p. Hence why I won't be bothering just yet.

Exactly why I went for it. I can upgrade 9nce prices have bottomed out.

Soldato

Yes, £90 for 2 extra cores is crazy, more so if all you do is game and web.

Associate
Unfortunate that the thread got stuck in 6-8-16 core discussion. Zen 5 is exactly an example why this is moot.
It has been true for zen generations a while: higher performance 6 core matches previous gen 8 core in multithreading while being faster in everything else. I expect Zen 5 6 core model to be faster than both 7700X and 7800X3D for everything including games.

To go beyond 8 fast cores for gaming there are tradeoffs. More complex cache topology or second CCD or E-cores.
To go beyond 16 there are more tradeoffs, basically server chips. Expensive and not much market.

So I am happy we are getting those 8 cores as fast as possible first.

Caporegime
Unfortunate that the thread got stuck in 6-8-16 core discussion. Zen 5 is exactly an example why this is moot.
It has been true for zen generations a while: higher performance 6 core matches previous gen 8 core in multithreading while being faster in everything else. I expect Zen 5 6 core model to be faster than both 7700X and 7800X3D for everything including games.

To go beyond 8 fast cores for gaming there are tradeoffs. More complex cache topology or second CCD or E-cores.
To go beyond 16 there are more tradeoffs, basically server chips. Expensive and not much market.

So I am happy we are getting those 8 cores as fast as possible first.

Exactly this.

The first 16 core mainstream CPU was the 3950X.
R23 score: 24,050

5950, again 16 cores.
R23 score: 28,600 (+19%)

7950X, again 16 cores
R23 score: 38,700 (+35%) or vs 3950X +60%

It looks like the 9750X? is 16 cores again but another 35% jump, so....
R23 score: 52,250 (+35%) or vs 3950X +117%

So since 2019, and in 3 generations we have increased performance by 117%, more than doubled it, that is not stagnation, anyone who thinks that is stagnation needs to think again :) i don't think we have ever seen that level of generation performance upgrade in that length of time, at least not since the last time AMD was pushing technology forward.

And i think we can all agree that increasing per-core performance higher is far better than just adding cores.

Back
Top Bottom