• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

I don't see a problem if availability is in February or even March... i really don't.

Nope not a problem at all, that would be fine... I was just initially responding to someone's claims of a January release, which I don't see happening. Paper release and full PR marketing blitz yes, but not product in hands.

Probably for the same reason we know everything about Kabylake long before its launched, Intel are incredibly leaky. AMD know what to shoot for because of it...

All we know about Zen is what AMD themselves put out, just because AMD are better than Intel at keeping secretes secret doesn't mean there aren't any Montherboards for it.

I think Motherboard Vendors want to make money, to suggest they ain't making boards for Zen is not logical.
What about motherboard leaks that come from motherboard manufacturers? No reason to believe Intel models would be more likely to leak than AMD models.

It seems odd to me to block DrunkenMaster. Trolls, yes. People who just post nonsense, yes. But DM posts sporadically and always supports their point.

Anyway, back on topic, I really don't get people whose sole goal with AMD is that they should drive down Intel prices. If AMD are competitive, then consider buying them.

If it wasn't for AMD we would still be doomed by DX11.

Yeah, because DX12 and Vulkan* totally weren't in progress before Mantle arrived :rolleyes:

*Yes I know the final version of Vulkan derives a lot of Mantle design aspects but it didn't originally (back when it was called OpenGL Next).

Yeah, because DX12 and Vulkan* totally weren't in progress before Mantle arrived :rolleyes:

*Yes I know the final version of Vulkan derives a lot of Mantle design aspects but it didn't originally (back when it was called OpenGL Next).

The Khronos group themselves said Vulkan is not OGLNext it is in-fact Mantle.

Also, Before Mantle Microsoft Said there would be no DX12, As for DX12 it has a lot of Mantle code in it.

The Khronos group themselves said Vulkan is not OGLNext it is in-fact Mantle.
Strange as they also said the name was changing from OGLNext to Vulkan (when they thanked AMD for assistance in development).

Also, Before Mantle Microsoft Said there would be no DX12
They hadn't announced it but were working on it (which should really be obvious to anybody as you can't just instantly magic a major API out of thin air, especially when it's the biggest change in generations).

For actual purchase? No. Where are all the motherboards?? Look at the Kaby board leaks that have been trickling out for the past couple of months... we've seen virtually the whole range already from all the big players. What have we seen for Ryzen? Pretty much nothing, which if they were in as ready a state as Kaby, we certainly would have seen more. I don't doubt for one second we'll see some big reveals at CES, more news about the whole CPU range, fully fledged motherboards etc. but anyone thinking they will be getting their hands on Ryzen CPUs and motherboards in January is set for much disappointment. I think March, February if we're REALLY lucky. But hey, if I'm wrong I'll be happy, but that's how I'm convinced it's going to go.

Legend as I have said, CES AMD will together with ASUS,MSI etc showcase their motherboards, the Canard PC was using a prototype motherboard and all the leakers have prototype motherboards, the chip is done, it is finished and taped out long AGO even companies that produce CPU coolers for the AM3 socket have promised adapters for their coolers for AM4, do not forget it comes with the wraith cooler as well.

Strange as they also said the name was changing from OGLNext to Vulkan (when they thanked AMD for assistance in development).

No, they said Vulkan is not OpenGL.

They hadn't announced it but were working on it (which should really be obvious to anybody as you can't just instantly magic a major API out of thin air, especially when it's the biggest change in generations).

When asked about XBox One development and DX12 MS were asked if DX12 would come to Desktop, they said no.

Then Mantle happened.....

Mantle was the API that was meant to ship with the XBox One but AMD added a caveat; that it would also come to Desktop in the form of DX12, MS refused because there is no profit in PC gaming and a good Desktop gaming API would harm their very profitable XBox Live service given that PC gamers don't need to pay that.

Its why the XBox One shipped with DX11 and was generally a bit crap.

In anycase AMD released it for Desktop on their own in the form of Mantle, MS reacted to that, quite childishly prancing around on stage with Nvidia saying DX12 was an exclusive partnership with them and had been in development for 5 years.

Riiight, so the XBox One was launched without its own API because that's a smart move.
AMD developed a low level API in half the time Miscrosoft and Nvidia could manage.
The Mantle cloned code and reference material in DX12 is just a really strange coincidence.

Last edited:

DX 12= 60%+ Mantle, Vulkan = 100% Mantle.
The documentation is the same for Mantle and Vulkan.

DX 12= 60%+ Mantle, Vulkan = 100% Mantle.

Thats probably about right, well....

DX 12= 60%+ Mantle.
Vulkan = 95% Mantle.

DX12 is a watered down version of Mantle, for a start its limited to 4 Draw Call threads, Mantle has 16, as does Vulkan.

Soupy_All_Appaloosa_size_restricted.gif

Legend as I have said, CES AMD will together with ASUS,MSI etc showcase their motherboards, the Canard PC was using a prototype motherboard and all the leakers have prototype motherboards, the chip is done, it is finished and taped out long AGO even companies that produce CPU coolers for the AM3 socket have promised adapters for their coolers for AM4, do not forget it comes with the wraith cooler as well.

I completely agree that CES will give us a truck load of new info and eye candy, I have no doubt that. I am only pouring cold water on the speculation from some that they will have a Ryzen CPU in their hands in January.

DX 12= 60%+ Mantle.
I very much doubt it's that much, they may have made some design changes due to Mantle but DX12 was in development before we ever heard of Mantle (these things aren't made overnight).

Vulkan = 100% Mantle.

I'm not disputing this, my point was that prior to Mantle, Khronos were already working on a successor to OpenGL 4.0 called OpenGL Next, and when AMD gave them Mantle on a silver platter they scrapped most of their development and announced OpenGL Next would now be called Vulkan (while thanking AMD for the big assist).

I was replying to the assertion made in the post I quoted, that if it hadn't been for Mantle we would still be stuck with DX11 which is blatantly untrue. We would still have DX12 and Vulkan/OpenGL Next, they just wouldn't be the same or as good.

Funny you should say "DX12 was in development before we ever heard of Mantle" DX12 was not heard of before Mantle, other than "Will there ever be such a thing?" to which the answer from MS was "no"

When you are the Hardware vendor for your products at the very least you assist in the software for said hardware.
The XBox One didn't ship with its own API, instead it shipped with DX11, because MS didn't play ball AMD didn't give it to them, instead they released it forcing MS to accept AMD's terms, and...... the XBox One gets a new API, surprisingly.
AMD having achieved their objective with Mantle they gave it to the Khronos Group to provide MS with much needed competition.
The lack of that being the reason for MS arrogance in first place.

Last edited:
I very much doubt it's that much, they may have made some design changes due to Mantle but DX12 was in development before we ever heard of Mantle (these things aren't made overnight).

I'm not disputing this, my point was that prior to Mantle, Khronos were already working on a successor to OpenGL 4.0 called OpenGL Next, and when AMD gave them Mantle on a silver platter they scrapped most of their development and announced OpenGL Next would now be called Vulkan (while thanking AMD for the big assist).

I was replying to the assertion made in the post I quoted, that if it hadn't been for Mantle we would still be stuck with DX11 which is blatantly untrue. We would still have DX12 and Vulkan/OpenGL Next, they just wouldn't be the same or as good.

GLnext went into development AFTER Mantle and DX12 as a result of those existing, it was always Mantle, it was renamed Vulkan when they came closer to being finished because that is how things go. They start off with a project name and came up with a final name for it.

If you have him on ignore you don't know what he said ^^^^

There is no reason why years ago the new 2 core as a 4 core, 6 core was the new 4 core... except Intel profiteering.

Someone quoted him.
So it becomes visible.

And no one can deny there's been a hardware stagnation, but is the hardware needed? At this current moment, what am I going to gain over my 4770K? Even if I magically ended up with an Intel 6 core tomorrow, nothing would change. That was more my point. The I5K and i7K (Mainstream for i7K) have been pretty level for price wise (Although that's from the 3XXX to 6XXX as Sandy was cheaper) and what the products did then, is the same now. The performance they give is still top drawer.

It might not be "right". But it is what it is.

All I hope is that Zen's prices forces Intel to change their tiers.
Frankly an entry i3 should be a 4C/4T and an i5 should be a 4C/8T while an entry i7 should be a 6C/12T these days for me. And hopefully that'll happen with Intels launch after Kaby (Because Kaby's boring)

When people don't know how to make arguments they put people on ignore and then say none of it was relevant if it's brought up.

His post was that quad core pricing is stable and that is normal like it's always been.

The entire post was showing that stagnant prices on chips has NEVER been the case until recently and only with Intel, there was nothing off point in the whole post.

As for the rest, he ignores pricing, which is all he was banging on about for pages about how Intel pricing isn't going up(it is) and how it's normal to get the same prices on the same rough cpu performance (it's not), when pointed out and shown how completely wrong he is he's now moved from pricing to how the chips alone have stagnated and moved to the "do we need more power" argument... which is in actual fact irrelevant to his initial point.

Regardless of if you need more than an Intel quad core, that doesn't mean the price of an Intel quad core should stay the same, so it has no bearing on the discussion at all. The price of 99.9% of products, and always CPUs up till recently, depended on the production cost... not the users need for such a product.

Regardless of if you need more than an Intel quad core, that doesn't mean the price of an Intel quad core should stay the same, so it has no bearing on the discussion at all. The price of 99.9% of products, and always CPUs up till recently, depended on the production cost... not the users need for such a product.

Of course product pricing depends on production cost but that isn't the be-all end-all. If it was, perfume would cost £5 a bottle instead of £50. You sell your products for what people will pay.

I actually think what's happened in the CPU market over the last 7ish years is a classic example of what happens when there is no competition. There are two issues at play here - the lack of progress in terms of raw performance, and the lack of cheaper products. There is an argument that innovation isn't as necessary any more because software requirements aren't increasing as much as they used to. Thus, they've taken a different approach, which is to move into markets where big gains can still be had (and therefore new products can actually be sold and people can actually be convinced to upgrade more often), e.g. low power and mobile spaces. Alos bare in mind that the server space is much more welcoming of "moar cores" than workstations and desktops.

Having said that, it is surely possible for Intel to offer their 4 core chips for less than they did nearly a decade ago, but they don't because there is no need to. As long as people still buy them, why lower the price? Despite the relative lack of need for more raw CPU horsepower, if AMD had a competitive high-end CPU offering all this time there is absolutely no way Intel's line-up would exist as it does now (at least for the prices that currently exist). That's where the competition element is needed - even if neither company can actually improve things beyond "5% IPC per year", prices would at least drop and new innovations would appear because there is a need to grab (and keep) market share from the other company.

Back
Top Bottom