• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Even if no-one "needs" any faster CPU, you'd still expect prices to drop over the course of 7+ years in a healthy market with competition. That definitely hasn't happened.

I'm not sure of any other technology markets where anyone would be happy paying the same now as they did 7+ years ago for (nearly) the same product. Maybe the iPhone. ;)

For the last few years phones have been pretty stagnant too.
Sure my phone's got an octo core in it, but it's basically the same experience I've had for years.
Monitors were stagnant for years and years too, it's only been in the last few we've seen movement through 21:9, Freesync, Gsync and 4K, and lets face it. 4K's not really there unless you're a PC gamer.

I wouldn't say no to someone giving me a better performing CPU, but I don't need it, nor do many people outside of professional usage.

Last edited:
Not sure about the phones. High end phones are certainly stagnant but there's plenty of cheaper options now that have great specs too. My Galaxy S2 was a top tier phone at the time. When I went to replace it 3 years later, I could've got a basically identical phone for a third of the price. Not true for CPUs.

Monitors I partially agree with. You can't say they haven't gotten thinner (my NEC 24WMGX3 from 2009 is a beast) but I don't personally see why people care about that so much. Ironically GPU manufacturers have pushed through the biggest changes recently (FreeSync and GSync as you say). I think the far slower than expected ramp-up of OLED has stalled monitor development more than anything.

Phones are a mixed bag ultimately, I think most of the problem was how dire mid to lower end phones were, now that's gone away, it's more dependant on the software on the phone.

And I don't rate Samsung phones, their ROM's are crap.

I found my Xperia Play with custom ROM far better than any of my girlfriends higher end Samsung phones at the time.

Sure my phone's got an octo core in it, but it's basically the same experience I've had for years.
Monitors were stagnant for years and years too, it's only been in the last few we've seen movement through 21:9, Freesync, Gsync and 4K, and lets face it. 4K's not really there unless you're a PC gamer.

I wouldn't say no to someone giving me a better performing CPU, but I don't need it, nor do many people outside of professional usage.

4k isn't really there for PC gaming either yet unless your willing to spend vast amounts on gpus and settle for less than ideal refresh rate. 30-60fps gaming at 4k is pointless.

Really? While Snapdragon 810 runs a bit hot and isn't brilliant it was still significantly faster than old chips using the same ARM architecture, then their 820 with their own architecture was pretty much twice as efficient and way way faster a pretty short time later.

Software wise phones haven't gone much further, because while you can feel that difference between a web page taking 4 and 2 seconds to load, when it goes from 0.6 to 0.3 seconds it's far less noticeable. Phones got fast enough a while back but actual phone technology, as in the cpus themselves, have constantly moved forward and brought faster phones for the same money and pushed the price bracket down on the previous higher end chips.

...30-60fps gaming at 4k is pointless.

While I agree, this kind of talk is pure heresy to those who value image quality and pixels above ALL else... plenty do surprisingly. Thing is, even if AMD can offer something more in that arena with VEGA (and Nvidia with the upcoming 1080Ti), where are the 120Hz 4K monitors at?

This is buildzoid on reddit. He 'quotes' a post on a forum saying 4.2-4.4 GHz on all cores 24/7 is what we should expect basically.

https://youtu.be/bzxYh9FAQnI?t=728

He goes on for a while afterwards. Worth a watch.

Seems like it'll match clocks, with cheaper mobos and this guy implies VERY cheap for the chips too.

I wonder what price is cheap to him. He does seem confident that the pricing will be very aggressive.

This is buildzoid on reddit. He 'quotes' a post on a forum saying 4.2-4.4 GHz on all cores 24/7 is what we should expect basically.

https://youtu.be/bzxYh9FAQnI?t=728

He goes on for a while afterwards. Worth a watch.

Seems like it'll match clocks, with cheaper mobos and this guy implies VERY cheap for the chips too.

Thats not bad for an 8 core, the 6900K doesn't do any better.

While it sounds promising hearing him say it will be cheap, unfortunately whatever the price is in $, we'll get the same figure in £ no doubt! :(

Couple of things

8/16 he says is going to be much much cheaper than 6900k, he said it could make broadwell-e irrelevant due to how disruptive the cost will be of the chip, I'm now changing my mind from £750 to maybe even £500-600... Seriously

He doesn't think the 4 and 6 core variants will clock better and cited how Intel chips clock for this, and also said price depending on them they may be a better buy than Kabylake if your not going to clock a Kaby i5 to 5ghz etc.

He did not mention anything about Zen boost clocks, so that's still an unknown quantity.

But the biggest thing he said and then immediately realised he had messed up was "See you in a week after Zen launches"..

CES Zen Launch?? Gibbo smiley face thread? Surely it cannot be... Can it?

He does a lot of breakdown videos and overclocking and voltage mods etc he's pretty good.

But he is basically quoting Flank3r who is a Czech dude who works for a tech site I think for a lot of the info such as how well the chips clock etc.

Like I say though we still don't know about the boost and what revision chip that Flank3r etc has.

And also Buildzoid has admitted he is under NDA and hopefully is going to get a Zen sample to review at some point.

I don't think he has an agenda or is talking out of his rear

Couple of things

8/16 he says is going to be much much cheaper than 6900k, he said it could make broadwell-e irrelevant due to how disruptive the cost will be of the chip, I'm now changing my mind from £750 to maybe even £500-600... Seriously

He doesn't think the 4 and 6 core variants will clock better and cited how Intel chips clock for this, and also said price depending on them they may be a better buy than Kabylake if your not going to clock a Kaby i5 to 5ghz etc.

He did not mention anything about Zen boost clocks, so that's still an unknown quantity.

But the biggest thing he said and then immediately realised he had messed up was "See you in a week after Zen launches"..

CES Zen Launch?? Gibbo smiley face thread? Surely it cannot be... Can it?

amd stated Jan for their sr7 chip.

amd stated Jan for their sr7 chip.

For actual purchase? No. Where are all the motherboards?? Look at the Kaby board leaks that have been trickling out for the past couple of months... we've seen virtually the whole range already from all the big players. What have we seen for Ryzen? Pretty much nothing, which if they were in as ready a state as Kaby, we certainly would have seen more. I don't doubt for one second we'll see some big reveals at CES, more news about the whole CPU range, fully fledged motherboards etc. but anyone thinking they will be getting their hands on Ryzen CPUs and motherboards in January is set for much disappointment. I think March, February if we're REALLY lucky. But hey, if I'm wrong I'll be happy, but that's how I'm convinced it's going to go.

For actual purchase? No. Where are all the motherboards?? Look at the Kaby board leaks that have been trickling out for the past couple of months... we've seen virtually the whole range already from all the big players. What have we seen for Ryzen? Pretty much nothing, which if they were in as ready a state as Kaby, we certainly would have seen more. I don't doubt for one second we'll see some big reveals at CES, more news about the whole CPU range, fully fledged motherboards etc. but anyone thinking they will be getting their hands on Ryzen CPUs and motherboards in January is set for much disappointment. I think March, February if we're REALLY lucky. But hey, if I'm wrong I'll be happy, but that's how I'm convinced it's going to go.

Probably for the same reason we know everything about Kabylake long before its launched, Intel are incredibly leaky. AMD know what to shoot for because of it...

All we know about Zen is what AMD themselves put out, just because AMD are better than Intel at keeping secretes secret doesn't mean there aren't any Montherboards for it.

I think Motherboard Vendors want to make money, to suggest they ain't making boards for Zen is not logical.

Last edited:
Probably for the same reason we know everything about Kabylake long before its launched, Intel are incredibly leaky.

All we know about Zen is what AMD themselves put out, just because AMD are better than Intel at keeping secretes secret doesn't mean there aren't any Montherboards for it.

I think Motherboard Vendors want to make money, to suggest they ain't making board for Zen is not logical.

I don't doubt they are, and I suspect many boards and designs are fully formed by now... I just don#t get the sense or feeling that it's at the same stage as the Kaby boards which will be available REALLY soon. I suspect we'll get a big reveal at CES, a mother-load of eye candy and specs for the whole range, but I don't think we'll be getting our hands on it until Feb at the earliest. Like I say, happy to be wrong though.

I don't doubt they are, and I suspect many boards and designs are fully formed by now... I just don#t get the sense or feeling that it's at the same stage as the Kaby boards which will be available REALLY soon. I suspect we'll get a big reveal at CES, a mother-load of eye candy and specs for the whole range, but I don't think we'll be getting our hands on it until Feb at the earliest. Like I say, happy to be wrong though.

I don't see a problem if availability is in February or even March... i really don't.

Back
Top Bottom