• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I'm really don't have to explain that do I?

Hint: Some of the people expect intel beating perfomance

literally the only thing we've seen suggests that ryzen will have slightly higher clock for clock performance than the broadwell-e equivalent. whether that holds up under a wider range of tests is yet to be seen, and its anyone's guess as to the final overclocked clock rates.

But you can't take people to task for accepting the only scrap of actual data we've been given at face value.

Personally I think the final score will have the ryzen at similar if slightly lower performance to the 6900k but at a lower price point, specially once you factor in the cost of an x99 motherboard over the more mainstream AM4.

In the end we simply don't know yet.

Soldato
literally the only thing we've seen suggests that ryzen will have slightly higher clock for clock performance than the broadwell-e equivalent. whether that holds up under a wider range of tests is yet to be seen, and its anyone's guess as to the final overclocked clock rates.

But you can't take people to task for accepting the only scrap of actual data we've been given at face value.

Personally I think the final score will have the ryzen at similar if slightly lower performance to the 6900k but at a lower price point, specially once you factor in the cost of an x99 motherboard over the more mainstream AM4.

In the end we simply don't know yet.

You should post more often.

For me I'd be happy with an 8 core 16 thread chip that offers unlocked Ivybridge performance. Add this to a unified socket with a 4-5 year life span and value somewhere between Intel and AMD and I'm sold. That would be the upgrade I've wanted for years.

Caporegime
6 core 12 thread Haswell level would be perfect for me.

Ivy - Haswell - SkyLake it doesn't really matter much because of Intel stagnation they are only margins apart, i have a 4 core Devils Canyon so a 6 core AMD Ivy Bridge would be just as welcome at the right price.

Last edited:
Soldato
We need some new transistor tech to come to fruition such as the 'Vacuum Transistors'.

Will mean breaching 5ghz and heading in to the 100+Ghz realms. They have already made experimental parts that hit 600+Ghz.

Soldato
And what? You keep trying to prove £200 is the same as £300 and Intel haven't been increasing prices :p

You repeatdly ignore inflation and exchange rates, intels consumer line (i.e 2600k, 7700k) pricing in dollars for the top end chips adjusted for us inflation rates has remained steady since at least sandy bridge an indisputable fact

Last edited:
Caporegime
The point that matters surely is that we still have 4 core CPU's priced and marketed at high performance levels.

Its not just Intel's IPC stagnation, its also that they still have 4 core CPU's in the pricey i7 branding.

Soldato
You repeatdly ignore inflation and exchange rates, intels consumer line (i.e 2600k, 7700k) pricing in dollars for the top end chips adjusted for us inflation rates has remained steady since at least sandy bridge an indisputable fact

See thats the problem. Why do you expect people to eat your spam but not others?

Soldato
Wish they'd hurry up and launch the darn thing, feels like my current rig is getting less stable by the day. Need a replacement, but I want to find out what AMD actually have to offer first! D:

Soldato
6 core 12 thread Haswell level would be perfect for me.

Ivy - Haswell - SkyLake it doesn't really matter much because of Intel stagnation they are only margins apart, i have a 4 core Devils Canyon so a 6 core AMD Ivy Bridge would be just as welcome at the right price.

It would allow people to get a toe in both the multi threaded and IPC pools. Yeah, maybe the 6 core 12 thread chip will be the best option for a lot of people.

Soldato
See thats the problem. Why do you expect people to eat your spam but not others?

Have intel increased their pricing, adjusted for inflation, in dollars (there a us company after all) for their top end consumer i7's (or top end i5's for that matter) since sandy bridge came out by any significant amount or not?

Just because some things have long, referenced and detailled explanation's =/= spam

Last edited:
Soldato
Have intel increased their pricing, adjusted for inflation, in dollars (there a us company after all) for their top end consumer i7's (or top end i5's for that matter) since sandy bridge came out by any significant amount or not?

Just because some things have long, referenced and detailled explanation's =/= spam

Most probably yes. Prices have climbed and we never used to pay anything close to RRP while costs have gone down. Intel are making a fortune each month so make of that what you will. For your sums to work out Intel must be leaving all that extra profit to the supply chain...

What's hilarious is your sums and explanations on behalf of Intel and obsession of following people around explaining your opinion of what you think could be the reason for the price increases. What you don't seem to grasp is I don't care why the prices have gone up because I have no control over them.

Associate
2u88ahk.jpg

Waiting for Ryzen

Soldato
Are we expecting any more actual news between now and when AMD Launch?
Do we know that the 8 core chip is going to launch at 3.4ghz?
Has there been any news at all about the dynamic overclocking actually working and what % increase over stock individual cores / the whole chip can achieve?
Is there any believable indications on what price the chips are going to launch at?
At launch is it just going to be the 8 core extreme chip or are we going to see standard 8 core, 6 core and 4 core variants on launch day?

Soldato
Are we expecting any more actual news between now and when AMD Launch?
Do we know that the 8 core chip is going to launch at 3.4ghz?
Has there been any news at all about the dynamic overclocking actually working and what % increase over stock individual cores / the whole chip can achieve?
Is there any believable indications on what price the chips are going to launch at?
At launch is it just going to be the 8 core extreme chip or are we going to see standard 8 core, 6 core and 4 core variants on launch day?

Anything past stock is currently speculation.

Soldato
Anything past stock is currently speculation.

Do we even definitely know what stock is going to be? For all the chips that are going to be released? I know the chip they demo'ed was at 3.4ghz but was that definitely the speed they are going to launch it at? Are the lower core count chips going to have a higher speed?

Soldato
Do we even definitely know what stock is going to be? For all the chips that are going to be released? I know the chip they demo'ed was at 3.4ghz but was that definitely the speed they are going to launch it at? Are the lower core count chips going to have a higher speed?
8-core stock clock is 3.4 GHz or higher (presumably there will be lower clocked SKUs too). We don't know anything about the stock clocks of the 4 or 6 core chips.

Back
Top Bottom