• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I hope 1300 turns out to be wrong...or at least there to be some leg room.

yeFzQIQ.jpg

$350 CPU matching a $600 CPU at an unknown (lower?) clockspeed seems promising enough to me.

The big question is how seriously do I take these new numbers from unknown people.

Last edited:
Soldato
$350 CPU matching a $600 CPU at an unknown (lower?) clockspeed seems promising enough to me.

The big question is how seriously do I take these new numbers from unknown people.

True enough if prices are to be believed, but 1300, means in CR15 it's not really anywhere near BWE IPC.

Truthfully I would ignore the scores quoted for now

Soldato
  • $499 (SR7B), 8/16 (core/thread) L2: 4MB, L3: 16MB, core speeds 3.6Ghz standard, Turbo to 4GHz (coor speed for 3.6GHz was confrimed as SKU3 being used on the Doom demo).
  • $349 (SR7), 8/16 (core/thread)L2: 4MB, L3: 16MB
  • $249 (SR5), 6/12 (core/thread) L2: 3MB, L3: 12MB
  • $149 (SR3), 4/8 (core/thread) L2: 2MB, L3: 8MB

I'm not sure where you got that info from, but it looks pretty wishful to me. If it's accurate, I'll be building a 6c/12t machine shortly. But I really doubt we will see a good 8c/16t AMD CPU for 4c/8T i7 money.

Pauls Hardware did a video earlier, with his estimations on where AMD might price their Zen's. That looks a lot more realistic to me...

Soldato
Soldato
True enough if prices are to be believed, but 1300, means in CR15 it's not really anywhere near BWE IPC.

Truthfully I would ignore the scores quoted for now

We can't comment on a CPU that isn't out. All we can comment on is this spreadsheet and the first question is do you personally believe it's reliable information. I take it you do since you run a system against the numbers in the questionable spreadsheet, a data set with it's own included questions marks...

For me the spreadsheet is most likely someone's stab in the dark at Zen's performance and pricing. The data that's most likely to be correct would be the pricing info, as those are the only numbers to not include a question mark. The question is how seriously do we take any of this. Is this a leak?

Soldato
We can't comment on a CPU that isn't out. All we can comment on is this spreadsheet and the first question is do you personally believe it's reliable information. I take it you do since you run a system against the numbers in the questionable spreadsheet, a data set with it's own included questions marks...

For me the spreadsheet is most likely someone's stab in the dark at Zen's performance and pricing. The data that's most likely to be correct would be the pricing info, as those are the only numbers to not include a question mark. The question is how seriously do we take any of this. Is this a leak?

This post makes no sense, seeing as I put "Truthfully I would ignore the scores quoted for now".

Not much more to be said to your post than; no I don't put much stock in that screenshot. I showed how low the quoted score was next to a 6850K overclocked. Which in CR15, is showing quite a lot as it's heavily multithreaded...(ergo, you want to hope it's not legitimate)

Last edited:
Permabanned
In fairness it's actually an okay price, it just seems low due to Intel's reign of pricing terror.

To clarify what I mean by that, accounting for inflation $300 would buy you:

2001: 1c1t CPU
2003: 1c2t CPU
2005: 2c2t CPU
2007: 4c4t CPU
2009: 4c8t CPU
2011: 4c8t CPU
2013: 4c8t CPU
2015: 4c8t CPU

Only having to spend £250 for a 6c12t CPU in 2017 is about right (and would be very welcome if accurate), or maybe a tad expensive, it just appears ridiculously cheap due to how long Intel's monopoly has been skewing the price/performance landscape.
You're going to be sorely disappointed with expectations like that, We may get a 6 core 12 thread for around £500, That'll be a result. You seem to have low expectations because of how cheaply AMD have had to price there FX chips, They did that because of how slow they were in single threaded work loads not because it's what they are worth, Now that they can AMD will jump on Intel's pricing bandwagon and offer us cpu's that undercut the chips they equivalate too.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Suspended
You're going to be sorely disappointed with expectations like that, We may get a 6 core 12 thread for around £500, That'll be a result. You seem to have low expectations because of how cheaply AMD have had to price there FX chips, They did that because of how slow they were in single threaded work loads not because it's what they are worth, Now that they can AMD will jump on Intel's pricing bandwagon and offer us cpu's that undercut the chips they equivalate too.

I hope I'm wrong though.
The problem with a £500 6 core Zen is this
No way AMD are selling £500 6 core CPU's when Intel are selling them for £420.

Caporegime
Did I miss some reviews?

I see some people talking about prices and stating they will gouge like Intel but forget AMD have been here before with a "90% of the performance for 50% of the price" component - look at the 4850/4870 graphics card launch. They could have creamed off massive profit with those two cards, but they didn't - and they weren't as far behind as they are now either. I think AMD will take the opportunity to punch Intel in the guts and make them hurt.

I've been Intel based since I moved from AMD X2 4200+ to Intel E6600 over 10 years ago. I'm quietly optimistic that AMD can give me a viable upgrade route this time round.

But then you could look at something more recent than the 4850, ie the 7950/7970. AMD don't price gouge, really?

Permabanned
Remember these are test or engendering samples,
?? She-boy's?? I think I'll wait for the hetro-chips....

It's not a derogatory piece of information, it means the CPU still kept within the specified TDP regardless (if true).

That part obviously went over your head.

Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are to quick.

It could also be the actual names of the CPUs, e.g. "AMD Ryzen 8570" or something for an 8-core version). Personally I think it's the marketing name of Summit Ridge but that'd be a shame since it was already a cool name. :p

I think Ryzen will replace the FX nomenclature.

Permabanned
Yeah, and look what happened with that.

They had to drop prices sharpish. I bet the pre-order crew got upset that they blocked reviews until it released.

I'm hoping that AMD undercut Intel equivalent cpu's a little, I haven't really looked at the pricing of the current e-range and was pleasantly surprised by the 6 core's price so if a 6 core comes at 400 or less I'll grab one or maybe an 8 core if it's south of £600.

Back
Top Bottom