• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I keep reading that the full line-up won't be out on initial release either :( Apparently the more mainstream 4c/8t etc isn't due until July :(

Going by the rumoured $ price for the 8c/16t ($580-$720) then that chip is of no interest to me as that's their i7 6900k competitor and way out of my price range.

I was looking for the i5 7600k/i7 7700k equivalent at hopefully a much better price, but alas it looks like waiting until July for those now

Associate
I keep reading that the full line-up won't be out on initial release either :( Apparently the more mainstream 4c/8t etc isn't due until July :(

Going by the rumoured $ price for the 8c/16t ($580-$720) then that chip is of no interest to me as that's their i7 6900k competitor and way out of my price range.

I was looking for the i5 7600k/i7 7700k equivalent at hopefully a much better price, but alas it looks like waiting until July for those now

At CES people were reporting the exact opposite. For example, see section 3 of this article:

Associate
i find it hard to believe there wont be a 6 core/12 thread cpu or two, thats got to be the current or upcoming sweet spot of cost/power/heat/price/marketability

much like the i7 2600k with HT or the 5820?, as in bit more than u really need currently, but nice capacity for the future

Soldato
I don't see the big deal - AMD will probably target an 8C/8T SKU against the 4C/8T and cheaper 6C/12T Intel SKUs and since the consoles have 8 cores,and cores should in theory scale better than SMT for gaming,as long as per core performance is competitive it should be fine for things like gaming,video encoding,etc.

Associate
i find it hard to believe there wont be a 6 core/12 thread cpu or two, thats got to be the current or upcoming sweet spot of cost/power/heat/price/marketability

Some people say that it's due to a design choice and how caches/communication are shared. But all that is just rumour. Nothing is confirmed.

Permabanned
It seems there will be only 4C and 8C Ryzen CPUs:

http://digiworthy.com/2017/01/29/no-amd-6-core-ryzen-cpu-but-the-8c8t-parts/

So that means 4C,4C/8T,8C and 8C/16T SKUs??

Even if 8C/8T is overall better than 6C/12T, it doesn't feel great buying artificially gimped product (SMT feature disabled) :(

That's disappointing if true. I hope it's wrong, I was looking forward to a 6c/12t upgrade. Now it'll depend on the 8c/8t's performance whether I switch from my 4790k or wait for Coffee lake, I could still go 8c/16t if the price is right though. It's all on AMD now, fingers cross.

Permabanned
AMD already stated they'll launch the full range straight off the bat though :/
I hope it isn't true and that the complete lineup of the none APU chips are available day 1

Did AMD say this regarding Vega?
I think they did but it may of been about Ryzen?
I heard someone on this forum stating it about one or the other but haven't read a source article on it, so it would be nice too.

Does anyone know for sure and have links please?

Last edited:
Soldato
Theoretically 8c/8t should be a lot faster than 4c/8t in most workloads that utilise more than 5 cores. There are a few cases where SMT is incredibly efficient and in those you wouldn't see as much gain.

Soldato
Did AMD say this regarding Vega?
I think they did but it may of been about Ryzen?
I heard someone on this forum stating it about one or the other but haven't read a source article on it, so it would be nice too.

Does anyone know for sure and have links please?

I think they may be getting confused with the server side where we are expecting staggered releases. Wccftech or Fudzilla said something about it but I can't be bothered trawling through their back history - in any case it's Wccftech and Fudzilla so file squarely under rumour for now, imo.

Soldato
$300 for 8c/8t
$600-700 for 8c/16t

huh?

hardly anyone is going to pay that much over the $300 part for what is effectively Hyperthreading.

Im thinking business and servers will pay, they dont have the VAT part so the prices make more sense. In many ways if they can utilise the extra capacity of a chip then they will do it.
Most home users is where its silly to have this much power, so many wont use it really. Most core game development is driven by averages which can be low, though I realise people are then wanting high res setups and just want the best etc

I got an old 8 core chip, its low ghz and I almost got a 12 core that happened to appear server surplus but I dont especially regret not having it as I dont do CAD or anything. 16 threads and Im waiting for most common software that will want or use that much. Windows is multitasking of course, 16 threads fits with 32gb I think

I thought this would be fully retail by now tbh

Back
Top Bottom