• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
More like someone from WCCFTECH is tasked with reading OCUK and feeding 'news'.

90% of their articles are 'our sources say that X' where sources are some post by some guy in some forum.

They are a (biased) tech gossip site with lots of information and quotes out of context. They could post AMD offers Haribos with Ryzen for all they care :)

Soldato
I'm more curious if this is better to use compared to doing everything in the BIOS. Or can it interact with the BIOS settings directly?

The benefit is obviously being able to do these things on the fly. Depending on what you are setting, there may be latency either way depending on how good Overdrive is. But all will become clearer once these drop.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm more curious if this is better to use compared to doing everything in the BIOS. Or can it interact with the BIOS settings directly?

I like "in windows" clocking apps. For example, my system wont post at anything higher that 4.8ghz, but I can use EasyTune to up the voltage and multiplier once windows has loaded and bench at 5ghz.

Associate
Will be interesting to see overclocking results for an 1800x, i suspect it will achieve clock speeds far in excess of what a 1700 can do.

Thats what i'm expecting. What i'm really interested in is if the 65w quoted for the 1700 is purely from the fact that it is using less voltage at stock or is there more going on to get the tdp down that could effect overclocking potential?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thats what i'm expecting. What i'm really interested in is if the 65w quoted for the 1700 is purely from the fact that it is using less voltage at stock or is there more going on to get the tdp down that could effect overclocking potential?

I'm not.

I'm expecting it to be like the Athlon XP days. You could buy and expensive XP3200 and overclock it a tiny bit, or you could buy and XP2500m and overlock it to the same level ans an XP3200.

I just can't see AMD leaving any spare performance on the table with their top chip (1800x).

Soldato
Probably not. We already know that the R7 1700 can be overclocked to 4 GHz on water (side-note: I hope temps aren't an issue for air coolers), whereas the i7-6900K can generally get to 4.3 GHz as I understand it. Hopefully the R7 1800X can get to 4.2-4.3 GHz so it's not left behind on clock speeds; I imagine it will because you can't really have a chip with 4 GHz boost and 4.1+ GHz XFR suddenly get unstable at 4.2 GHz - the margin of error is too small and with chips degrading over time you'd expect some to stop working even at stock speeds and voltages eventually.

Soldato
Probably not. We already know that the R7 1700 can be overclocked to 4 GHz on water (side-note: I hope temps aren't an issue for air coolers), whereas the i7-6900K can generally get to 4.3 GHz as I understand it. Hopefully the R7 1800X can get to 4.2-4.3 GHz so it's not left behind on clock speeds; I imagine it will because you can't really have a chip with 4 GHz boost and 4.1+ GHz XFR suddenly get unstable at 4.2 GHz - the margin of error is too small and with chips degrading over time you'd expect some to stop working even at stock speeds and voltages eventually.

Depends on the Water cooler or Air cooler I'd say. I get better temps on the same OC on my 5820K with the Noctua D15S, than I did with my Corsair H110i GTX with Noctua IPPC fans installed.

So if people can get the 1700 to 4Ghz at a reasonable temp on a similar AIO water solution I don't see decent air coolers having much issue at all.
All depends on Power draw once they're clocked up, and silicone lottery. I do hope they not hot chips though.

Back
Top Bottom