• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
once the nda is lifted and all the ins and outs are known re ryzen, will there be a clear cut answer for someone like me, i7-7700k or 1700x, not an overclocker, infrequent gamer, just want a fast pc.

thankyou for the all answers to my questions iv asked here and in the other sub forums, its been most appreciated.

Soldato
There's nothing wrong with pre-ordering... two scenarios:

- The benchmarks get released, performance is good, you have a CPU while other scramble trying to get one - sit back and smoke a cuban cigar
- The benchmarks get released, performance is bad, return the CPU unopened and get a refund

It looks like shipping has gone back nearly a week already (2nd -> 8th) purely based on pre-bench pre-orders, so this will only go back further if performance is good

Soldato

- The benchmarks get released, performance is good, you have a CPU while other scramble trying to get one - sit back and smoke a cuban cigar
- The benchmarks get released, performance is bad, return the CPU unopened and get a refund

It looks like shipping has gone back nearly a week already (2nd -> 8th) purely based on pre-bench pre-orders, so this will only go back further if performance is good

Indeed. Already ahead of a lengthening queue.

Aren't reviews hitting 28th anyway? Or has this moved?

Associate

Agree

(2nd -> 8th) oh here we go :(

Soldato
@Gibbo Can you confirm pre-orders ship on the 2nd?

I asked via the customer service forum and basically purchase orders placed Wednesday when the ETA was 2nd March should be fine as that's based on the first/latest (at the time) stock order. Now that they've probably sold 1000 Ryzen CPUs, another stock order has been placed so any new purchase orders placed will use stock from that new stock order with the date of 8th March.

Would be good to get a confirmation from @Gibbo though. But assuming they got the stock for 2nd March orders, then they'll be released.

Soldato
Caporegime

Critics may feel differently about using LN2 to significantly overclock it, noting that it doesn't seem all that impressive when Intel processors can do the same with much cheaper cooling solutions. However, AMD is touting a high instructions per clock (IPC) for Ryzen, which typically means greater efficiency at the expense of higher clockspeeds. According to AMD, finalized silicon for Ryzen boasts a >52 percent IPC improvement over previous-gen parts.

Critics may point and detract but it doesn't take away from the fact that it beat the record, that says something about the IPC and its scaling with Mhz, with that in mind how high it clocks is less relevant, in the same way an FX-8350 can do 5Ghz on a 120mm AIO is irrelevant because a 4Ghz 6700K beats it.

Man of Honour
I asked via the customer service forum and basically purchase orders placed Wednesday when the ETA was 2nd March should be fine as that's based on the first/latest (at the time) stock order. Now that they've probably sold 1000 Ryzen CPUs, another stock order has been placed so any new purchase orders placed will use stock from that new stock order with the date of 8th March.

Would be good to get a confirmation from @Gibbo though. But assuming they got the stock for 2nd March orders, then they'll be released.
Makes sense, I'm guessing the ETA has just shifted for new orders as they've sold their intial stock allocation

Associate

@Gibbo said they have ~3000 Ryzen 1700 ready for the 2nd. I think the bottleneck will be the motherboards, there will be many people with Ryzen but no motherboard for a while.

Last edited:
Associate
And if the reviews are good and people start scrambling for chips I bet some sites will up the price, then the preorder will look like the smart move.

Back
Top Bottom