• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I like to read manuals for products if possible - but the only AM4 motherboards I've found manuals for are those for gigabyte - has anyone else found any others online (asus/asrock had none and I've not checked out msi yet).

Soldato
Anyway,again how is this any different from the Phenom II X6 and FX8150 and FX8350 launches?

The more expensive motherboards could eek out a bit of a larger overclock than the cheaper ones.

Are people seriously that worried about spending £100 more just to get 100MHZ or 200MHZ more??

Plus it would not surprise me one bit if all of those 8C models show some throttling at stock when they are only rated for 65W and 95W TDPs including the entire chipset,just like the APUs could when they hit the TDP wall.

Its why AMD has made such huge stock coolers for them and invented XFR,ie,I expect it means they will actually breech the rated TDPs to maintain higher average clockspeeds.

Caporegime
What has IGP could do with it?? The reference VRM design for AM4 is 6 phase - surely you knew that??

BTW,I remembered the Asus ones were a 220W capable 6+2 phase VRMA(oops).

Cheap and cheerful motherboards couldn't overclock an FX8350 - dude seriously look at all the threads people complaining of throttling on motherboards even on here just running them at stock.

Look at the throttling issues Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards had which Asus ones didn't have??

You needed a fairly decent 970 motherboards at the beginning to run them - some of the cheaper ones like from MSI had VRM burn outs as they underspecced the VRMs and many of the lower specced boards lacked VRM cooling. It took a while for one 760G based board to come out which could run an FX8300 series CPU fine,but it went through like a 1000 versions before we had a good one. The same with the lower end 970 ones,they could have issues and it took a while and many versions for them to be release good ones.

This is because they plonked in the same VRM designs as some 770 motherboards which had no cooling.

This is why for any of my mates who wanted to overclock safely,I specced £70+ 970 motherboards even with an FX6300 and they have lasted years. One of my mates got one of those earlier Gigabyte ones with the throttling issue(despite it being 8+2 phase) and it did eventually die last year,but it was horrible when overclocking.

The Asus ones are still going strong and overclocked better.
I was just telling thenewoc...oh never mind!

I had an FX-9590 running 1.5something volts on an old Asus Sabertooth 990FX (great board), 8+2 Phase Digi VRMs, good for its day but by todays standards its probably = whats on a £90 board, like my Gaming 3 which i think is modern 4+2, maybe 6+2, i don't actually know, i'm not that interested in it, it just does its job and does it well, i'm not that enthusiastic about this rig, its in many ways much better than my old AMD rig but in all other ways a bit like a Toyota... yawn.

The old AMD rig, that was like on old Datsun 240/350Z or an old Porsche..... something fun and interesting.

In anycase at silly volts 5Ghz on all 8 it never throttled, never.

Last edited:
Soldato
And if the reviews are good and people start scrambling for chips I bet some sites will up the price, then the preorder will look like the smart move.

Then I'll laugh they upped the price and stick with what I have, it hasn't killed me for the last 5 years another month or two isn't going to hurt, I only need to upgrade because the 1070 gets bottlenecked somewhat in BF 1.

Soldato
I was just telling thenewoc...oh never mind!

I had an FX-9590 running 1.5something volts on an old Asus Sabertooth 990FX (great board), 8+2 Phase Digi VRMs, good for its day but by todays standards its probably = whats on a £90 board, like my Gaming 3 which i think is modern 4+2, maybe 6+2, i don't actually know i'm not that interested in it, it just does its job and does it well, i'm not that enthusiastic about this rig, its in many ways much better than my old FX-9590 but in all other ways a bit like a Toyota... yawn.

The old AMD rig, that was like on old Datsun 350Z or an old Porsche..... something fun and interesting.

In anycase at silly volts 5Ghz on all 8 it never throttled, never.

The Asus motherboards from the 970 were incredibly solid - the 6+2 phase VRM was 220W rated and the Asus Sabretooth and Crossfire series were probably amongst the best AM3+ motherboards out there.

The Sabretooth launched at $199.99 so it is more like a £190 to £200 motherboard at current exchange rates,but you could get it for £120 to £135 back in the day once the prices dropped.

The problem is also that Intel has locked down motherboard chipsets so much that the cheapest Z270 one is £112.99:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...s/intel/lga-1151-z270-chipset?sPage=1&sSort=3

The B250 can't be used to overclock a CPU,and the cheapest B350 motherboard is £80 which can be used for overclocking,and thats the problem.

The Z270 equivalents for AM4 are BOTH the B350 and X370.

If Intel had not locked out overclocking on the B250 motherboards I suspect we would have seen cheaper X370 pricing overall,or better B350 ones.

Soldato
Hence decided to hold on. As said previously, if next gen of CPUs can only do 5-10% overclock (pointing finger to Intel also), then we should change the name here from overclockers to stockclockers.

Thats the issue though - top end SKUs have never really overclocked that well for quite a few years,since even Intel has now essentially launched pre-overclocked versions of chips in the Core i7 4790K and Core i7 7700K.

The biggest OC amounts have come from CPUs which have been clocked low,ie,the G3258 and those BCLK overclocked Core i5 6400 chips.

On the AMD side look at the FX8300 - it can hit nearly 1GHZ past its base clock looking at some reviews.

Its the same with graphics cards,I remember getting a big performance jump overclocking my HD5850 to nearly 1GHZ,but now companies are more willing to use clockspeed headroom on graphics to bump up performance so they could charge more.

Overclocking came from overclocking cheap parts to hit the performance of more expensive ones,but as time progressed companies have made sure it is harder and harder to do.

Soldato
I though OC was available on AM4 B350's ^^^^ ?

Yes,but you need to consider that both the B350 and X370 are targeting the Z270 motherboards too which start at £112+ instead of around £80. Even then what is the likelihood the cheaper Z270 ones probably cannot eek out as much clockspeed as a bit more expensive one??

So when you mean cheaper,it could mean an £80 B350,a £150 X370,etc. The issue here there is no real impetus for AMD motherboard partners to push a decent B350,when Intel has totally locked motherboards even at £100,which is a joke.

Remember,your socket 1155 motherboard was £90 and those were tracking the entry level enthusiast AM3+ motherboards in price.

Now that they start at £100+ I expect its more like the higher end B350 motherboards will target the lowest end Z270 and the X370 ones the rest of the range.

Its rather annoying TBH,but Intel has paved the way(again).

Edit!!

That does not even consider the socket 2011 pricing at £165ish onwards either.

Soldato
I noticed on the Asrock Taichi specs it says "Supports 300W EX OC", that's a lot of power! Maybe these things will need some high voltages and lots of power to overclock...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/index.asp#Specification

Yeah I saw that,when was announced.
- 16 Power Phase design
- Supports 300W EX OC

But lets wait until the reviews come out to see if these are of same quality as the ones used on the Z170 Formula OC I have.
Because if so, that's way more than the 12 phases the ROG Hero is using, and everyone who buys that board (Taichi), should find EK Luc in here, and demand a monoblock

Back
Top Bottom