• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
seems second refresh of Zen is coming in 2018 and according to the info that they have got those cpus also really look good. One of the editors added that Amd is very confident about Zen arch and that they think it will make Amd strong competitor in Cpu market for a long long time

Associate
ev
seems second refresh of Zen is coming in 2018 and according to the info that they have got those cpus also really look good. One of the editors added that Amd is very confident about Zen arch and that they think it will make Amd strong competitor in Cpu market for a long long time
whatever tech intel planned to dribble out over the nxt 5yrs, just got fast tracked, amd has just done intel fans a favour

Soldato
Associate
In Single thread 1800x is a little bit slower than 7700 but in multi thread according to editor 1800x is twice as fast. Also added that when it comes to MT this processor doesn't have any competition

Associate
oh to be a fly on the intel conference room wall right now, they cant go back to strong arming suppliers so what will they do?

my basket but still cant pull the paypal trigger

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,065.39
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Associate
hang on a minute i asked on the thread for the hype train to start up whilst i was down the pub, now im back it seems to have come true so feeling warm and fuzzy here (thats a joke btw froma few pages back).

Being a bit slow tonight, have i missed something ? just read the last two pages mentioning good overclocks and so on, where is this coming from ?

Soldato
hang on a minute i asked on the thread for the hype train to start up whilst i was down the pub, now im back it seems to have come true so feeling warm and fuzzy here (thats a joke btw froma few pages back).

Being a bit slow tonight, have i missed something ? just read the last two pages mentioning good overclocks and so on, where is this coming from ?

The hype train waits for no man (or woman).

Toot toot.

Soldato
If you look at the alleged full Ryzen Lineup, there are two models at each ?c?t grade: one X, one non-X. Except 8c16t where there are 3 models.

I'm starting to think they got better yields of working 8c16t parts than they expected and so crammed in an extra cheaper model at the last minute.

Probably what is now called the 1700X would have originally been called 1700.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Fair comment, and I don't think anyone should base their own requirement choices on AVX512.

I mean, there will be people who are considering choosing between a 6900k/6950k/1700x/1800x and want to do some professional HPC type work that uses AVX 512, but like 99.9999% of people who buy x99 based stuff aren't professionals nor doing anything requiring or using AVX512, let alone those buying at more mainstream prices. AMD don't have to compete with every chip for every type of usage overnight to have monumentally improved, being viable as a competitive option in one area would be great, it seems they will be competitive in actually most areas, not having the absolute best FPU throughout isn't a problem.

It's also I think very likely that Zen 2 or 3 at the latest will upgrade to dual 256bit FPU pipes that can combine to run AVX 512 anyway, though again that will have very limited real world impact, the AVX512 support, the much stronger FPU pipes will allow more smaller instructions to be packaged and still improve overall FPU throughput for more normal desktop usage.

Associate
oh to be a fly on the intel conference room wall right now, they cant go back to strong arming suppliers so what will they do?

my basket but still cant pull the paypal trigger

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,065.39
(includes shipping: £0.00)

you should just swap the M.2 SSD to a 850 samsung 500GB, if you dont get a high capacity 960.
the performance of the low capacity 256GB sux, you can check the review.
Tom's hardware

Last edited:
Associate
I completely forgot until last night that windows7 isn't supported, unless something changed & I missed it.
Has anyone anywhere been seen to show that it does/may still work with win7?

Also, what news of Linux for Ryzen?

Associate
If you look at the alleged full Ryzen Lineup, there are two models at each Xcore-Ythread grade. Except 8c16t where there are 3.

I'm starting to think they got better yields of working 8c16t parts than they expected and so crammed in an extra lower clocked model at the last minute.

Probably what is now called 1700X would have been called 1700.

Ah, you edited it. I thought you were implying there'd be an 1900x at some point.

Associate
I completely forgot until last night that windows7 isn't supported, unless something changed & I missed it.
Has anyone anywhere been seen to show that it does/may still work with win7?

Also, what news of Linux for Ryzen?
AMD validated windows 7 with Ryzen, so you can install and use, just offcial support for later updates wont happen.
im gonna dual boot 7/10 anyway, only Ryzen could have forced me to install that stupid Win10 :D

Associate
im pretty sure PC shippement as a whole will see a significant increase in 2017 compared to previous years, and if that happens remember then, that it was intel who single handedly killed desktop market, lack of innovation, continuous price gouging, left most ppl without any incentive to upgrade their rigs, no tablet or phone crap.
Gibbo can correct me if want, but i have the feeling that most ppl are going for a full overhaul, cpu, mobo, ram, drives, power supply...ppl are getting new builds not just a cpu, too bad Vega isn't out yet :D

Back
Top Bottom