• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
AMD validated windows 7 with Ryzen, so you can install and use, just offcial support for later updates wont happen.
im gonna dual boot 7/10 anyway, only Ryzen could have forced me to install that stupid Win10 :D

Ah groovy.
Fingers crossed it works okay.
There's something I never thought about, dual booting 7/10, but I'd still rather 7/Linux.
Haven't touched 10 & still want to avoid it ;)

Associate
Ah groovy.
There's something I never thought about, dual booting 7/10, but I'd still rather 7/Linux.
you have win10 OEM keys for 20$ all over the internet, not really that big of a deal, i too hate to install it, but gotta play sea of thiefs somehow.

Associate
Ah groovy.

I might be wrong and i have been down the pub but haven't MS said they are dropping support (support) for windows 7 soon ?

The cpu you will work with windows 7 (betting another bag of haribos on this) but without the support..

Soldato
Soldato
AMD Ryzen test review kit unboxing. These contained 1800X, Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz (v5.30 Hynix), Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Cooler.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
AMD validated windows 7 with Ryzen, so you can install and use, just offcial support for later updates wont happen.
im gonna dual boot 7/10 anyway, only Ryzen could have forced me to install that stupid Win10 :D

Windows 10 is easily the best operating system I have ever used. Super fast and no crashes. I do wish it was more like windows 7 in terms of not having all this app nonsense, but they never get in my way. I disable/uninstall everything I do not like and it is like windows 7 in the end, but just better :)

Associate
In Single thread 1800X is a little bit slower than 7700 but in multi thread according to editor 1800X is twice as fast. Also added that when it comes to MT this processor doesn't have any competition

This must be some typo, top Ryzen CPU can't fall behind a 7700K (~150£ cheaper) even at raw single-thread power, its rival is the 6900K.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean, there will be people who are considering choosing between a 6900k/6950k/1700x/1800x and want to do some professional HPC type work that uses AVX 512, but like 99.9999% of people who buy x99 based stuff aren't professionals nor doing anything requiring or using AVX512, let alone those buying at more mainstream prices. AMD don't have to compete with every chip for every type of usage overnight to have monumentally improved, being viable as a competitive option in one area would be great, it seems they will be competitive in actually most areas, not having the absolute best FPU throughout isn't a problem.

It's also I think very likely that Zen 2 or 3 at the latest will upgrade to dual 256bit FPU pipes that can combine to run AVX 512 anyway, though again that will have very limited real world impact, the AVX512 support, the much stronger FPU pipes will allow more smaller instructions to be packaged and still improve overall FPU throughput for more normal desktop usage.

If honest enough about it, nobody here is going to be in that user group. Outside the realms of stability testing, it's limited to a handful of professional application. Even then, it's questionable if you'd be looking at either consumer platform for this. It's taken users (and Intel) 3 years to adapt to the fact that when overclocking, the current some of these tests can pull limits the user. We've seen Handbrake, and that's as good a real world AVX test as any, especially in terms of power draw too.

The nail on the head is really that the performance is evidently competitive in most areas, and even the memory side should improve with firmware and microcode. Including I'd imagine, what is happening to some of the boards. How often really in the history of all things relevant, has VRM failure been due to design? It's almost always inherently firmware related. So short answer is in my opinion, give it 2 to 3 months, and you'll hopefully have a solid product, and an 8 core option that will make people question what they're really paying for elsewhere.

Associate
I think the 1700 (non X) is the same price range as the 7700k

True - :D but I thought 1700-1800X was taking on bigger cores of Intel - 7700k was getting taken on by 1600X It seems to line up with prices etc; i5s are dealing with 1500; and i3 is dealing with 1300-1400X - again way pricing and cores are lining up......but as I said I could be wrong :D

Associate
True - :D but I thought 1700-1800X was taking on bigger cores of Intel - 7700k was getting taken on by 1600X It seems to line up with prices etc; i5s are dealing with 1500; and i3 is dealing with 1300-1400X - again way pricing and cores are lining up......but as I said I could be wrong :D
It just goes to show just how good the aggressive pricing on these is, any word on the 16xx Prices? Given they are the equivalent of the i5's (aren't they?)

Back
Top Bottom