• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
So it's all very exciting and I get a little upgrade itch like anyone else, but realistically is there any point for me?
I see all these % increases and improvments over X/Y/Z generation or comparitive chips, but even with my old 2500K @ 4.5GHz will I ACTUALLY notice any real difference? The most tasking thing I'd do is gaming, and currently at 3440x1440 with a GTX 1070 and aforementioned CPU I don't have any problems with The Witcher 3 at the moment. Admittedly I haven't even checked frame rate since owning my x34a but what's the point if I don't notice any problems..

Seems people get carried away with academic results :p (Each to their own might I add)

Overall if your only gaming. Simple answer is no, Ya dont need a ryzen o;

Associate
I keep seeing this. When you say we might see gaming benchmarks where the '7700K is ahead', what exactly are you expecting? 1,2,3,4 or 5 fps more? 90fps instead of 87 fps for the Ryzens?

Realistically, this is what we are talking about here, as 99.99% of gamers don't have a Titan X to expose the CPU as any kind of bottleneck and don't play at 720p. So you are talking about absolutely negligible and inconsequential 'leads' in average fps for the 7700K, if any.

I mean look:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968...w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion/8

This is the normal set-up for 'gamers' with a card on the level of a GTX 980 or 390X and as you can see, the 7700K's 'lead' over a 2600K is under FIVE fps. So I don't understand how people are expecting the 7700K to have anything other than an utterly inconsequential performance edge over the Ryzen's in normal set-ups.

Agree completely
....the peeps at fault are the ones benchmarking with the titan x so the uneducated buyers will see that and think it will apply to all cards

Associate
99% of the time these CPUs will be used in GPU-bound situations and a 7700K will perform identically to a R7 1700. This would still be the case if you overclock the Kaby to 5Ghz and the Ryzen to 4Ghz.

This needs to be repeated and repeated until casual gamers and even some people on here get it in their heads that under normal circumstances, there is no way a 7700K is going to have any gaming advantage over any of the Ryzens.

The only unknown is min framerates and 99th percentile but we don't even have a lot of data for that for Intel CPUs.

Soldato
If the lower end chips were being shown there would be considerably less consideration of a £490 8 core monster for gaming.

Leaks so far don't seem to suggest the lower cpus are clocked any higher than these corefests though. Limitation of how they built it?

Associate
I thought the price list showed 1600x to be about 260 dollars - why I thought it would be hammering i7 7700k......

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...ance-leak-intel-will-be-worried/#6d122ab15031
Has set of prices - where chips line up - AMD being very aggressive.....

the true competitor of the I7 7700 is the Ryzen 1400X and 1300, they will be under 200$ and a slightly better multi-threading, but much higher clock and closer IPC to the intel part, it's really too bad that AMD didnt release a 4core/8thread SKU just to take on the 7700.
but even now there isn't that many apps that ppl make use for single threaded performance, beside gaming, and even then you gonna get close enough average fps to cancels the minimum/maximum argument, meaning that you wont hit those minimums that often, otherwise the average gap will be much higher.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nothing new i see. Atm i'm only interested in how much better 1800x is over 1700x hehe. My cooling system is happy to cool down 250-300 tdp in to nice 70c temperatures on intel burn test heaviest option. Abd new bwater block that comes with cpu should make it eben btter since my xspc rasa remembers phenom II black edition !!!

Associate
Overall if your only gaming. Simple answer is no, Ya dont need a ryzen o;

OK thanks.

Don't need, but do want! :D

That is my situation. However going to wait for Zen+ on 7nm. That will be my perfect upgrade, it should smash what I got in every way :D

Yh I would quite like the new shiny toys and putting it all into a nice new case but I just can't justify it. I mean I didn't NEED an x34a but at least I get to see its use every time.

It's great but weirdly frustrating that the 2500K is still good for me :D

Caporegime
the true competitor of the I7 7700 is the Ryzen 1400X and 1300, they will be under 200$ and a slightly better multi-threading, but much higher clock and closer IPC to the intel part, it's really too bad that AMD didnt release a 4core/8thread SKU just to take on the 7700.

They aren't direct competitors since 7700K is an APU. Intel are looking to release a new quad core on their new enthusiast platform.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
If the lower end chips were being shown there would be considerably less consideration of a £490 8 core monster for gaming.

Leaks so far don't seem to suggest the lower cpus are clocked any higher than these corefests though. Limitation of how they built it?

Possibly that reason, or the fact that a higher clocked 4 or 6 core chip would most likely score higher than AMD's flagship 8c model simply due to the higher clocks, especially in programs and games that aren't currently using more than 4 threads.

Associate
It's the minimum framerates that are key for me. Keep the sustained minimum's above 40FPS and I'm happy.
again the impact of the minimums shows in the average if you have a 7700 hitting higher mini and higher max fps, and then average the same as an R7 1700 with lower mini and max, that would mean, the 7700 hit the minimums more often than the 1700.
just something to keep in mind when reviews show up.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OK thanks.

Yh I would quite like the new shiny toys and putting it all into a nice new case but I just can't justify it. I mean I didn't NEED an x34a but at least I get to see its use every time.

It's great but weirdly frustrating that the 2500K is still good for me :D

If I had the 2500K I think I would go for it. But with a 4.7GHz Haswell, I can wait 1-2 more years I feel :D

Also by then there will be many more new games and programs that support 8 cores.

Associate
So i have just passed my board and cpu off to my Dad so am in the market for an asap buy. I mainly game, am I better just getting a I7-7700k bundle? I've currently got a gtx 1070

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So it's all very exciting and I get a little upgrade itch like anyone else, but realistically is there any point for me?
I see all these % increases and improvments over X/Y/Z generation or comparitive chips, but even with my old 2500K @ 4.5GHz will I ACTUALLY notice any real difference? The most tasking thing I'd do is gaming, and currently at 3440x1440 with a GTX 1070 and aforementioned CPU I don't have any problems with The Witcher 3 at the moment. Admittedly I haven't even checked frame rate since owning my x34a but what's the point if I don't notice any problems..

Seems people get carried away with academic results :p (Each to their own might I add)

Not sure what point I'm trying to make but whereas the 1070 was a big upgrade over my pathetic 6970, even an old 2500K doesn't strike me as being problematic in real life application.

I think you'd notice a difference.

Soldato
So i have just passed my board and cpu off to my Dad so am in the market for an asap buy. I mainly game, am I better just getting a I7-7700k bundle? I've currently got a gtx 1070

Wait for gaming benchmarks and reviews from real people playing real games, not leaked or manufacturer released synthetic benchmarks. There is lots of speculation, contradiction and misinformation flying around in this thread and not a single person has one of these CPUs yet (who can talk about it anyway). Only a few days to go, and all will become more clear then. Still, I'd lean towards Ryzen just to stick it to Intel... they can go suck it with their pricing.

For gaming 7700K is the one to choose.

As has been previously stated however (and backed up by gaming benchmarks vs Broadwell-E), the advantage it has is so minimal, and some games WILL actually benefit from the extra cores. It's wrong to simply say 7700k for games wins... that's just too vague.

Soldato
I keep seeing this. When you say we might see gaming benchmarks where the '7700K is ahead', what exactly are you expecting? 1,2,3,4 or 5 fps more? 90fps instead of 87 fps for the Ryzens?

Realistically, this is what we are talking about here, as 99.99% of gamers don't have a Titan X to expose the CPU as any kind of bottleneck and don't play at 720p. So you are talking about absolutely negligible and inconsequential 'leads' in average fps for the 7700K, if any.

I mean look:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968...w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion/8

This is the normal set-up for 'gamers' with a card on the level of a GTX 980 or 390X and as you can see, the 7700K's 'lead' over a 2600K is under FIVE fps. So I don't understand how people are expecting the 7700K to have anything other than an utterly inconsequential performance edge over the Ryzen's in normal set-ups.

There is an even better benchmark where they are using a GTX1080

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-review/

Scroll the gaming images and have a laugh. :D (it has 15 games benchmarks).

4.5Ghz Kaby lake, struggles to keep ahead on many current games from CPUs that are working at 15-20% less speeds. Or even it's stock 6700K (4.2Ghz).
The best one :D

R3Q4HunAKrSM2BFgcLv7dE-650-80.png

also this one the GTX1080 is been used
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_7700k_processor_review_desktop_kaby_lake,14.html

Back
Top Bottom