• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
turning the HTPC into a mini workstation (ITX) so the 1700 is looking appealing with that 65w TDP . so out comes the i5 6500 and in goes ryzen ... pretty looking forward to how it compares to my 5820k in real world scenarios

hopefully i still get some decent clocks out of it for benching

Associate
If you could follow the quote trail please, you're taking my reply out of context.

1800x > intel 6,8 and 10 cores in a lot of things

1800x is not going to beat 7700k at everything because the 7700k has frequency advantage stock and with OC taken into account. 1800x needed LN to hit 5.2, 7700K can do it with air.

Hence... 1800X will not make a good comparison vs 7700K since the intel chip has different priorities

The cleanest comparisons are vs the heavy threaded lower clock intel chips.

Yup, the 7700k should be compared to the 1400X or 1600x
One us 329$ the other is 199$ or 239$.
Basically you get 6700k performance at 2/3 price (i5 price).
Its a no brainer to get the 7700k after that.

Soldato
OP
Still in shock, AMD beating Intel in Performance, Power Consumption (TDP) and Price !!! Who would have thought?? The IPC is is really strong, yeah absolute shocker this is xD

Still undecided between R7 1700 or 1800X.. Hmm gonna wait for reviews though, just to get some extra info.

Associate
Still in shock, AMD beating Intel in Performance, Power Consumption (TDP) and Price !!! Who would have thought?? The IPC is is really strong, yeah absolute shocker this is xD

Still undecided between R7 1700 or 1800X.. Hmm gonna wait for reviews though, just to get some extra info.

The first time they compete in more or less level ground (14nm finfet vs 14 nm finfet), and they are in the game.
For years they tried to compete using 28nm planar vs intel 22/14nm finfet.

Associate

I went a bit crazy and went for the 1800x I just had my EK Am4 socket kit come through this morning.... sooooo excited haha

Soldato
OP
I went a bit crazy and went for the 1800x I just had my EK Am4 socket kit come through this morning.... sooooo excited haha

I am going MATX and there isn't any ETA for the decent MATX boards, so def gonna hold fire until reviews. Although I think I may just go bit crazy like yourself and get the 1800X when it's all available xD

Soldato
Looking forward to the competition. Very interested in the overall performance, overclocking, Tdp and how intel themselves will respond.

I know they have said their soon to be released 8 series will be very competitive so I'll look forward to that. While the 1800x is a fast chip it's not a massive upgrade from my 5930k at current.

Caporegime
Yup, the 7700k should be compared to the 1400X or 1600x
One us 329$ the other is 199$ or 239$.
Basically you get 6700k performance at 2/3 price (i5 price).
Its a no brainer to get the 7700k after that.

specualtion much the 7700k is still going to be quicker than most of you mention yet with no knowledge the new stuff is quicker lol.amd pulled a blinder here they got people buying on speculation with no benchmarks.i can tell you now when the actual benchmarks hit and people see chips like 7700k still ahead and with price reductions its going to make fun reading.

i love that amd have a decent range of cpus coming but just dont jump in double footed just yet.

Associate
Intel will have to cut the prices 40% if not more. That will create a lot of angry people who just a week ago bought a H-E/B-E at the inflated prices.
And if they do so, the Kaby Lake will have to chop a hefty 40% at minimum also. Or you will have 6900K at the same price of the 7700K and the 6850K going cheaper......

While will make the top of the range motherboards more expensive than the CPUs!

Intel deserve every bit of flac that is coming... greedy little buggers ...

Associate
oh to be a fly on the intel conference room wall right now, they cant go back to strong arming suppliers so what will they do?

my basket but still cant pull the paypal trigger

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,065.39
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Me personally i would go NH-D15​

Back
Top Bottom