• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Strikes me that if you are a WOW fan, you should disable all but two cores and start your system from there with a massive overclock and cooling to suit. However to decide the CPU market requirements on such a user requirement is a bit narrow. Maybe an overclocked i3 is the correct tool for the job.

This is why 10% to 20% here or there means nothing for me in reality - its not going to magically fix the problems in the game.

Also,I do know a lot of WoW players(even though its not my cup of tea),and only one of them has an overclocked CPU(an FX one BTW) and none of them have a card over £300(since most are not really into PC hardware that much),so it probably is running even worse for the average player.

Luckily,it has a cartoony art-style so you can drop settings without much of a visual difference. Interestingly one of my mates mentioned some of the add-ons are very poorly optimised and he just changed to another one and it actually had a decent performance boost.

I have a member in my guild that plays WoW and raids at Mythic level with us on a Mac Mini using an Intel IGP of all things. When the performance craters for us; it downright crashes his little machine.
Other's still use GTX 660's, and one recently upgraded from an Athlon X3 to a 6600K; which was a massive improvement. Then again that would be a massive improvement in every computing scenario possible.

It's true the game is extremely scalable, and you can also still switch between DX9 and DX11 depending on hardware to find the best balance of performance.

I can vouch for your friend and WoW-Addons. Some just destroy performance; many of them are logging ones though. For recording Damage/Healing Per Second to determine each players optimal performance in scenarios.
Some even had horrible memory leaks that would use up all 32GB of my system memory.

Even then they all do more than play WoW, so their system needs to be used in many cases. Hence the more techy ones not going full in on pure Single Threaded performance.
It's why I'll always recommend people look at their needs and use cases to see what's better overall for them.

I could have gone 4790K at the time and overclocked it to the moon, instead of my 5820K, but it wouldn't have done as well for my other needs. The same will be the case for many between the 7700K, or 1700/1800X if I had to make that decision.

Then factor in pricing between Z270/X99 and AM4, and that more and more future games are becoming more Multi-Threaded and I know where I'd lean to, especially if RyZen has comparable IPC to Broadwell-E, and comes with better base/boost clocks from the start.

^^^

Strikes me that if you are a WOW fan, you should disable all but two cores and start your system from there with a massive overclock and cooling to suit. However to decide the CPU market requirements on such a user requirement is a bit narrow. Maybe an overclocked i3 is the correct tool for the job.

I have doubts i suspect motherboards might be the issue ....but you never know ...

yeah sounds like the cpu's will be sent out to turn up on the 2nd but i am also worried about the motherboards.. I actually ordered my mobo from a less popular site in hope of getting it on the second. flip side though they might have not received as much day one stock as ocuk....

WoW is essentially a 13 year old engine with bits bolted on, while it does use multiple cores, it doesn't do it well. My 3770k barely see's more than 30% activity no matter what I am doing. GPU barely breaks 50% either but thats likely because I limit the FPS to 60 to stop my ears from bleeding with the coil whine of my Fury X

Its the same with Fallout 4 engine in certain areas of the game.. car assembly plant and parts of diamond city no matter what ..can not get a solid 60fps even with low in game settings tested on a 4790k ,6700k, amd cpu's ...gpu's 980 ,980 ti ,1080, rx 480 same issues low cpu and gpu usage ....
the rest of the game out of them problem areas runs fine ..i suppose it must be down to poor optimization

Its the same with Fallout 4 engine in certain areas of the game.. car assembly plant and parts of diamond city no matter what ..can not get a solid 60fps even with low in game settings tested on a 4790k ,6700k, amd cpu's ...gpu's 980 ,980 ti ,1080, rx 480 same issues low cpu and gpu usage ....
the rest of the game out of them problem areas runs fine ..i suppose it must be down to poor optimization

With mods its even worse!! :p

Been playing WoW since October 2003 closed beta test, I also overclock the crap out of everything and originally had a custom water loop back in the day, still do use water but went for the easier AIO option :)

blizzard need a new engine that one is so ancient.
they should be able to afford both that and a new designer of their old cartoon designs.

How many of you are expecting to receive your new parts on the 2nd?

I wouldn't mind if it only shipped on the 2nd and is delivered on Friday.

First time ordering from OCuk primarily for the free next-day delivery on the whole basket.

I had to re-order to upgrade my order to the 1700x from the 1700 but the guy on the phone said I wouldn't be pushed back to the 8th ETA. :o

Back
Top Bottom