• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Apparently AMD will be demoing DOOM running on the Zen CPU @ E3 and PCGaming event today! dont think we will get any solid info though, but will be nice to see atleast.

Soldato
With DOOM demo; I'm leaning towards Octoberish release for 8 core/ 16 thread Zen.....

APU Zen 2017 for sure......and big cores for servers.......but I have a feeling both small Vega and Zen will hit about the same time.

Wonder what type of perf and price we will see with Zen, even if it matches my 4770k in performance i will buy one as i gain double the amount of cores, and going into DX12 hopefully more cores get utilised.

Ive had my 4770k a few years now, so im happy with its perf and happy to buy Zen for extra cores if the perf is relatively the same.

Associate
Wonder what type of perf and price we will see with Zen, even if it matches my 4770k in performance i will buy one as i gain double the amount of cores, and going into DX12 hopefully more cores get utilised.

Ive had my 4770k a few years now, so im happy with its perf and happy to buy Zen for extra cores if the perf is relatively the same.

well - rumors have it at least matching Ivy - if we could get ahold of Bristol ridge apu desktop we'd have a interesting baseline to estimate off of.

Zen is 40% faster than excavator core - which is in Bristol ridge which is 20% faster than piledriver. Core for core this is without dealing with l3 cache etc. and cazziro has been show it is 20% faster than piledriver in lightly threaded...but multi piledriver is a beast and been shown to still match at times skylake.

Someone posted somewhere some benches showing piledriver about 50% slower in lightly threaded apps - now if we take that Zen will have 60% IPC improvement over piledriver - then we're in skylake range.....but its all just guess work right now.....

I pretty certain Zen will be above Ivy though......

Soldato
Look like Zen's CPU in games performance will be disappointment.

Microsoft has Xbox Scorpio in development, the console will have Polaris GPU and Zen SoC, the game division Microsoft Studios has it in labs for games development. Gameinformer interview with Microsoft Studios general manager, Shannon Loftis confirmed there is no performance difference between 8 cores 16 threads Zen SoC and 8 cores Jaguar SoC in games.

http://wccftech.com/xbox-scorpio-exclusives-wont-frame-rate-difference-scorpio-xbox/

Broadwell E had same issue with 10 cores 20 threads Core i7 6950X CPU got no performance difference in games compared to 4 cores 8 threads Skylake 6700K in reviews.

Caporegime

Microsoft has Xbox Scorpio in development, the console will have Polaris GPU and Zen SoC, the game division Microsoft Studios has it in labs for games development. Gameinformer interview with Microsoft Studios general manager, Shannon Loftis confirmed there is no performance difference between 8 cores 16 threads Zen SoC and 8 cores Jaguar SoC in games.

http://wccftech.com/xbox-scorpio-exclusives-wont-frame-rate-difference-scorpio-xbox/

Broadwell E had same issue with 10 cores 20 threads Core i7 6950X CPU got no performance difference in games compared to 4 cores 8 threads Skylake 6700K in reviews.

Wait, i'm looking for the line you quoted and can't find it, he doesn't say anything like that, did i miss something?

What he actually said was this.

“No, there wouldn’t be a frame rate difference, because typically the frame rate is determined by the game developer and what’s right for the gameplay mechanic,” Loftis said. “You don’t necessarily want to create two different mechanics for two different configurations.”

Loftis’ answer implies that game performance on the Scorpio might be limited to sub-60 frame performance of the Xbox One.

We asked about what happens when Xbox One games are only capable of sub-60 frame performance and whether Scorpio would be pinned to the lower spec in that regard. “Typically, yes. A good example is Killer Instinct, which is cross-play on PC and Xbox One. We have locked the frame rate to 60 frames per second,” Loftis says. “We could do better on super high end PCs, but that ruins the competitive nature of it.”

Basically the frame rates for Console games are capped, you don't want them too high as consoles are designed to run on TV's and if the frame rates are too high you end up with tearing or even image corruption.

absolutely nothing to do with the CPU.

Last edited:
Associate

Dude you just wan 1 + 3 = potato on that......

Soldato
Proof.....or this more of your usual anything possibly good for AMD we just down play as much as possible or call fake ;)

Anyone with a basic understanding of video would notice it.

How is it good for AMD... wow someone supposedly playing Doom with no fraps or performance indicators of any kind. If anything their refusal to share any numbers looks very bad at this point. Keep up the delusion though by all means.

Associate
Anyone with a basic understanding of video would notice it.

How is it good for AMD... wow someone supposedly playing Doom with no fraps or performance indicators of any kind. If anything their refusal to share any numbers looks very bad at this point. Keep up the delusion though by all means.

Its a simple demo video - WTF would they show any of that to tip their hand before launch. Yes lets just give away our numbers so Intel can see exactly what's coming - Intel will have est where zen will fall; but until they have hands on the actual chip its also just guesswork

They have the chips back - things are running on them and looks like validation going along smoothly - as I say we could possibly see Oct launch. Come on Orangey - you know better

Back
Top Bottom