• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
They did but as anyone who bought into the FM1 or AM1 platforms know, dead ends can spring from nowhere.

With the current direction AMD is heading, I don't think they will want to support any new sockets for the time being, perhaps just an AM4+ in the medium/long term

Indeed...

I'd like to get something more powerful in my backup am1 box, as want to runs some vm's on it... Think already have the most powerful cpu they ever offered for it.

Soldato
For 3 chip gens didn't they say?

I have no idea what that means Rossi. I realize it was possibly a very hopeful question, but I haven't really done much research on beyond Ryzen, so I was hoping someone else knew :)

I was thinking maybe I should cheap out for now and either just hold on with my AM4 system and hope for better refined Ryzen 5 chips, or possibly get a Ryzen 5 quad core now (instead of the 6 core) and then upgrade to Zen+ when it comes out.

Soldato
Does everything I wanted, running 2 x 16Gb is limited to 2933mhz with my Hynix RAM, but I'm hoping that will improve in the future. The VRM's stay really cool on this board, TBH I think I've got a duff 1700X as I've struggled getting stable about 3800mhz, I've had it at 3900mhz but it wasn't very stable when pushing it hard and temps got a bit hot above 1.4v. Currently running 3.7Ghz with low voltage, computer stays really silent under full load and it sips electricity rather than guzzles it which it does as you ramp up past 3.7Ghz.

You know that chip will turbo to 3.9GHz at stock settings right? Unless you run entirely software that can use 6-8 threads you've basically downclocked your CPU.

Soldato
I have no idea what that means Rossi. I realize it was possibly a very hopeful question, but I haven't really done much research on beyond Ryzen, so I was hoping someone else knew :)

I was thinking maybe I should cheap out for now and either just hold on with my AM4 system and hope for better refined Ryzen 5 chips, or possibly get a Ryzen 5 quad core now (instead of the 6 core) and then upgrade to Zen+ when it comes out.

It should be good for 3 generations.

Meaning on the same mobo (AM4) you should be good for Ryzen, Zen+, the Zen++ (or whatever it is called).

I.e. whatever mobo you buy now should be good to go for a good 3 years at the minimum. Hope this helps :)

Soldato
It should be good for 3 generations.

Meaning on the same mobo (AM4) you should be good for Ryzen, Zen+, the Zen++ (or whatever it is called).

I.e. whatever mobo you buy now should be good to go for a good 3 years at the minimum. Hope this helps :)

Don't hold your breath! 14mn Zen+ yes. If Zen++ is still on 14nm there's a fair chance. If I were a gambling man, which I'm not, I'd put money that 7nm will require different power delivery pins. AMD may well have catered for this already, but I am a sceptical :p

Soldato
My bad :) some of us just lose the silicon lottery sometimes. In fact i have never won it :p

I won it once with an awesome 3770k that did 4.9 on 1.28v.

Couldn't go higher due to thermals, so thought I'd delid it - and subsequently killed it in the process!

The next one I got was a lemon... :(

Soldato
I won it once with an awesome 3770k that did 4.9 on 1.28v.

Couldn't go higher due to thermals, so thought I'd delid it - and subsequently killed it in the process!

The next one I got was a lemon... :(

Ouch, expensive lesson!
I had a 4690k at 4.5 which i thought was good, turned out it was average when i checked the internet lol. Everything else was average or mediocre. Then again this is my first high end board i mainly go for £150 offerings so that may be why. But this time i just have a lemon.

Associate
Don't hold your breath! 14mn Zen+ yes. If Zen++ is still on 14nm there's a fair chance. If I were a gambling man, which I'm not, I'd put money that 7nm will require different power delivery pins. AMD may well have catered for this already, but I am a sceptical :p

I believe they have, since they've said it's good for more than 1 iteration.

And Zen++ is 99.9% likely to be 7nm (or not 14nm at least), since 32-core Naples is on 7nm just next year!

There's also the added complication of the X399 chipset.

By the time Zen++ is around, maybe it'll be better to go for a high-ish clocked 10-12 core chip on X399, rather than a higher clocked 8-core on X370.

Associate
You know that chip will turbo to 3.9GHz at stock settings right? Unless you run entirely software that can use 6-8 threads you've basically downclocked your CPU.

At stock it'll turbo to 3.9ghz occasionally for single threaded stuff, under full load it does 3.5Ghz all core. The 1800X does 3.7Ghz all core XFR so I'm happy with what I've got now.

I think I could probably do 3.9Ghz all core, but the voltage needed is quite high and the temps were over 80*C and about 240w according to HwInfo, at 3.7Ghz it's about 160w and a nice cool 60*C. It seems to be heavy AVX usage that kills the high OC's, 3.9Ghz is fine even at lower voltages if all you do is run simple stuff like Cinebench or even RealBench, if you run IBT or run other apps that heavily use AVX the voltage needed really ramps up to keep it stable.

I found IBT AVX a good stability tool, if it can handle that then my Seti@Home AVX is stable as is my gaming and video editing :)

Soldato
At stock it'll turbo to 3.9ghz occasionally for single threaded stuff, under full load it does 3.5Ghz all core. The 1800X does 3.7Ghz all core XFR so I'm happy with what I've got now.

I think I could probably do 3.9Ghz all core, but the voltage needed is quite high and the temps were over 80*C and about 240w according to HwInfo, at 3.7Ghz it's about 160w and a nice cool 60*C. It seems to be heavy AVX usage that kills the high OC's, 3.9Ghz is fine even at lower voltages if all you do is run simple stuff like Cinebench or even RealBench, if you run IBT or run other apps that heavily use AVX the voltage needed really ramps up to keep it stable.

I found IBT AVX a good stability tool, if it can handle that then my Seti@Home AVX is stable as is my gaming and video editing :)

Exactly the same as my findings. AVX will fail on most chips at 3.9 or above.

Soldato
Associate
Exactly the same as my findings. AVX will fail on most chips at 3.9 or above.

If you look at the wattage using the same application but SSE vs AVX it pulls about an extra 5 - 10% power when running AVX, I guess this is why it becomes less stable?

TBH not sure why that is as I believe on Ryzen it has two FPU's per core but fuses them for AVX, so it should really be the same doing heavy SSE vs AVX.

Back
Top Bottom