• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Seeing how semiconductor companies are now using lower numbers to denote performance instead of actual size, I'm guessing this 12nm is actually just an improved version of their 14nm? They compared it to a competitor's 16nm instead of their first 14nm LPP...

Soldato
Seeing how semiconductor companies are now using lower numbers to denote performance instead of actual size, I'm guessing this 12nm is actually just an improved version of their 14nm? They compared it to a competitor's 16nm instead of their first 14nm LPP...

Is that what was getting referred to as Vega and Ryzen+

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Well at a 10% increased clock speed on just a straight 1 to 1 shrink that will be mid 4Ghz.

I was basing on the fact that 3.9GHz all-core seems to be the most common overclock for gen1 Ryzens, 10% on top of that would be 4.29GHz, so if the majority could hit a reliable 4.2+ that's a decent improvement, and totally reasonable taking that those top slice Threadrippers are commonly hitting 4.1+ on the current fab.

Soldato
Yea. This was one of the reasons I went AM4. I'll upgrade the 1700 with the last AM4 compatible chip in a couple of years.

Probably only then need to add another 16Gb of ram and sorted for another 3-4 years. (GPU upgrade permitting)

I'm hoping by that time we have AM4 compatible chips greater than 8core /16thread.

Soldato
I was basing on the fact that 3.9GHz all-core seems to be the most common overclock for gen1 Ryzens, 10% on top of that would be 4.29GHz, so if the majority could hit a reliable 4.2+ that's a decent improvement, and totally reasonable taking that those top slice Threadrippers are commonly hitting 4.1+ on the current fab.

Well the XFR chips are 4-4.1Ghz stock.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Any core can run those types of speeds though.

At very high volts well outside of the efficiency range of the fab process yeah. No doubt everyone could get 4GHz if you were willing to pump the XFR 1.5V+ through your CPU constantly. Realistic all core speeds are 3.9 at reasonable volts. With the fab update that all core speed should shuffle up a few notches while remaining in the 'reasonable' voltage range.

Back
Top Bottom