• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Yeah, but that depends on the definition of cheap, this APU has 70% more stream processors than the RX 560 and thats over £100, it will probably perform somewhere between an RX 560 and RX 570 and have a 4 core 8 thread Ryzen + / 2 12nm CPU.
Will it be around £200? can anyone see it being more £300, is £200 cheap? is £300 too expensive?

I personally think this will be more for powerful thin and light laptops. Regarding desktop price,its hard to say if it would be released as a DIY part,as AMD has graphics cards too,but what about an AMD based NUC-like computer??

Soldato
I personally think this will be more for powerful thin and light laptops. Regarding desktop price,its hard to say if it would be released as a DIY part,as AMD has graphics cards too,but what about an AMD based NUC-like computer??

I think a really powerful desktop APU could coexist with AMD's discrete line up and open new markets at the same time.

The 4 core Ryzen chips are 80-140 depending on SMT and clockspeed and the chip probably isn't the biggest expense when it comes to a graphics cards total cost. I think if AMD can deliver a range of APU's with performance between the RX550 and RX570 for 150-250 it would fill some gaps in the graphics market.

Caporegime

Apparently it is for Desktops, i also cannot see an RX 570 like APU at 65 watts or less.

Meanwhile desktop series are also making an appearance. Raven Ridge APU featuring 28 CUs (1792 Stream Processors) has been spotted along alongside Fenghuang Raven platform (engineering board).

Soldato
Apparently it is for Desktops, i also cannot see an RX 570 like APU at 65 watts or less.

65 watts before we slap an AIO or big heatsink on them.

The Xeon E3 1265lv3 is 45 watts with HD4000 graphics and 22nm IIRC so 65 watts might be doable with a 12nm+ Ryzen APU.

Caporegime
65 watts before we slap an AIO or big heatsink on them.

The Xeon E3 1265lv3 is 45 watts with HD4000 graphics and 22nm IIRC so 65 watts might be doable with a 12nm+ Ryzen APU.

The 2048 Stream Processor RX 570 is 185 watts, this thing has 1792, that's not a lot or difference, its the difference between an R9 290 and R9 290X.

It will no doubt be lower clocked and better binned but it will also be running along side a Ryzen 1500X which by its self is a 65 watt CPU.

I just cannot see all of that in a single 65 watt packaged, even while better binned and on 12nm, it would be a miracle to get that much horsepower into such a small package, i don't see it.

bru

bru

Soldato
The 2048 Stream Processor RX 570 is 185 watts, this thing has 1792, that's not a lot or difference, its the difference between an R9 290 and R9 290X.

It will no doubt be lower clocked and better binned but it will also be running along side a Ryzen 1500X which by its self is a 65 watt CPU.

I just cannot see all of that in a single 65 watt packaged, even while better binned and on 12nm, it would be a miracle to get that much horsepower into such a small package, i don't see it.

Exactly right. +1

(Yes humbug, I am agreeing with you for a change):p

Soldato

That is total board power running flatout with a confined heatsink the size of the card. Socketed the power use would drop significant amount so a 65 watt cooling requirement might be doable on a desktop.

IIRC the Xbox One X is around 200watts total system. That's with a 8 core 40CU chip. Remove the memory, motherboard, hard drive, ROM, bluetooth, WiFi, NIC, 4 cores and I'd bet just the chip isn't pulling much power at all.

Last edited:
Soldato

NUC-like devices are desktop though. Using such an arrangement would work well for premium NUC-like devices,especially since HBM2 would help too in making the PCB smaller.

Integrating a Ryzen 5 1400 and even a lower clockspeed RX570 would be much more difficult to do within a 65W TDP for example.

Edit!!

If this is socketed and could work in a normal AM4 motherboard I would be surprised!!

Soldato
Not to be confused as a beta BIOS, this is a test BIOS. Pre-Beta.

+1
If anyone is thinking of flashing to this, caution will be needed. A sacrificial HD with your chosen OS is the way to go, along with the removal of any HD's with important data on them.
It's very rare for any mobo manufacturer to release a "Test" bios into the open. Testing is nearly always done in house before the release of a Beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
No, February-March will be Q1 2018.

REVIEWS
Ryzen Mobile Finally Arrives: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Review
Encoding Benchmarks https://www.techspot.com/review/1545-amd-ryzen-5-2500u/

That's not a good article, they used top of the range i7 Laptops as a comparison to half the price AMD mid range Ryzen 5 as if that was a fair comparison and then concluded the inevitable.

What's very telling when reviewers do crap like that is they never tell you the price of all these system they are comparing. Its A crapping typical nonsense brought back from exactly the sort of crap that was going on 10 years ago, the last time AMD were competitive.

The 2500U was already compared to Intel 8'th Gen i5 elsewhere and found to the opposite to the fudged assertions they make in that ^^^^

Permabanned
That's not a good article, they used top of the range i7 Laptops as a comparison to half the price AMD mid range Ryzen 5 as if that was a fair comparison and then concluded the inevitable.

What's very telling when reviewers do crap like that is they never tell you the price of all these system they are comparing. Its A crapping typical nonsense brought back from exactly the sort of crap that was going on 10 years ago, the last time AMD were competitive.

The 2500U was already compared to Intel 8'th Gen i5 elsewhere and found to the opposite to the fudged assertions they make in that ^^^^

You are right.
But if we don't go through the crap, we won't appreciate the goodies :p

Caporegime
You are right.
But if we don't go through the crap, we won't appreciate the goodies :p

I think i upset Steve.... he's resorted to deleting my posts.

image.jpg

image.png

I actually don't mind Steve but that gormless fake grinning other guy, whatever his name is always comes up with some eyebrow raising corkers, i don't think he's a shill just think he's not bright enough to think for himself and just reads from Intel's script and follows their review advice pamphlets.

Back
Top Bottom