• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Lo guys, so i have turned to the red team for the first time in 10 years, got a 2700x and Asus rog strix x470-F. All went smoothly but im at a loss at all the options in the bios, my temps seem pretty high at 70c in Cinebench and 55c in basic games ive tested.

I have a pretty beefy cooler in the Thermalright Macho but im surprised at how much the temps fluctuate on this chip, idle can be anywhere from 35 to 50c. Im a n00b clocker so what should i be looking at to get the temps down but boost still high?

PS: Ive set windows to balanced power so the EDC is thankfully not at 105% :eek:

Asus is pretty generous to the power delivery :/
Does it have any power offsets?

Associate
Been reading a couple of other threads recently, where posters have said that they might give up PC gaming due to the cost of Intel and NVidia components; and move to console gaming instead.

I really don't understand why people would take that view and it seems to be a blocker for people buying AMD. If you gave up PC gaming, lose all of the advantages that come with it - to buy a console that it's almost certainly going to have somekind of AMD APU or similar in it? Why is there an issue with people buying AMD PC components instead?

I've currently got a X99 system and it's been about 15 years since I've had an AMD system - but it's likely my next upgrade will be AM4 or TR4 based - I'm just trying to rationalise which :)

Soldato
Been reading a couple of other threads recently, where posters have said that they might give up PC gaming due to the cost of Intel and NVidia components; and move to console gaming instead.

I really don't understand why people would take that view and it seems to be a blocker for people buying AMD. If you gave up PC gaming, lose all of the advantages that come with it - to buy a console that it's almost certainly going to have somekind of AMD APU or similar in it? Why is there an issue with people buying AMD PC components instead?

I've currently got a X99 system and it's been about 15 years since I've had an AMD system - but it's likely my next upgrade will be AM4 or TR4 based - I'm just trying to rationalise which :)

It's a stupid mindset.

So people can't afford or justify THE BEST card or THE BEST cpu anymore.

Big deal, do you like the games you play or are you doing it for some other reason.

It's easy enough to put together a solid gaming PC as long as you realise that resolution and graphical extras are what makes things expensive.

Soldato
That is very strange, they are unwilling to buy AMD hardware when they can no longer afford to buy Intel and nVidia, they complain they will buy a console instead, which has an AMD CPU and GPU :rolleyes:

It's not strange at all. If they were sufficiently computer literate to know that AMD power the consoles then they'd also know you can build respectable gaming PCs with AMD components. Or to put it another way, to be so blinkered into believing Nvidintel (that's SO now a word if it wasn't before) is the only route for PC gaming, they won't have a clue what's inside a console.

Caporegime
A half-decent AMD GPU is still £250+. That's still the cost of a console by itself.

I partially switched to console gaming and I'm sitting on an RX 480 + 2500k CPU. No regrets. The PS4 Pro gives me as good an experience as the (now fairly ancient) PC, and to get substantially better - from either nV or AMD - I'd have to shell out £350+ on a Vega 56.

The idea that you'd only move to console if you had some kind of vendetta against AMD is as laughable as anything the nV die-hards might say. Just a different colour of bias.

It's amusing tho to watch the usual AMD super-fans reply to each other's comments, lamenting the (perceived) ignorance of the masses who "will only consider nV". Shrugging their shoulders and putting on an air of enlightenment :p And now trying to paint anyone here who switches to a console as AMD-haters.

Amusing, not factual.

Associate
I guess it's where your appreciation rests. If you are just a casual gamer and interested in just having a bit of fun then yes console gaming is perfectly valid. If you are more competitive or want to have the top graphics or the top performance then a console just doesn't cut it.

There's always the argument of what hardware to use. Personal preference at the end of the day. Some activities will prefer one vendor over another and there's some argument to be prepared for you intended use case, but in general most configurations will work for the end user if some logic is applied.

I have an all AMD machine at the moment and considering an Intel one for a specific use case. The 9xxx launch has put that on ice until at least next year, if Zen 2 can perform with equivalence to a 5GHz Intel then it may well be the way to go, but will still need to confirm that use case with the Intel equivalent. Personally not a fan of blind fanboism.

Soldato
What sort of voltage are you guys using to OC the 2600 to 4GHz?

I started at 1.3v but am now down to 1.18v and still passing 8 hours of OCCT. Is 1.2v at 4GHz fairly typical of this chip?

Soldato
The idea that you'd only move to console if you had some kind of vendetta against AMD is as laughable as anything the nV die-hards might say.

No, the notion of "Intel and Nvidia are taking the mick with their prices, I'm moving to consoles" is what's laughable, but unfortunately is exactly what we're seeing posted on these, and other, forums. If somebody wanted to upgrade, for the price of a console, you could buy AMD components for your existing system and sack off the insane Intel and Nvidia pricing.

And where in the blue hell did you get "vendetta" from?

Man of Honour
I have a question. I have been tasked with building a pc for someone and after a good chat persuaded him to go down the AMD Ryzen route. He has one particular requirement though and wants to run a pair of NVME drives. I believe if you run a pair of NVME drives on the mainstream Intel platform (Z370/Z390) then the gpu would be dropped to 8x pci-e lanes. Is this the same with Ryzen or does AMD do things differently on AM4?

Caporegime
I have a question. I have been tasked with building a pc for someone and after a good chat persuaded him to go down the AMD Ryzen route. He has one particular requirement though and wants to run a pair of NVME drives. I believe if you run a pair of NVME drives on the mainstream Intel platform (Z370/Z390) then the gpu would be dropped to 8x pci-e lanes. Is this the same with Ryzen or does AMD do things differently on AM4?
I don't think many in here will know the answer to that, you should have better luck on AMD reddit page... https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/

Soldato

On X370/XZ470, the first M.2 slot is PCIe 3.0 x4. The second M.2 slot will be PCIe 2.0 and it will share bandwidth with something. Usually one or more PCIe slots or SATA ports, but it depends on the motherboard - you need to read their user manuals to find out.

I believe the Crosshair VI is the only X370 board to have a secondary M.2 slot that is PCIe 3.0 x4 and that's because it shares bandwidth with the second GPU slot. So as long as you're only planning on ever running one GPU, that board would give you full M.2 speeds for both drives. There may be X470 boards that do this also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom