• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Yes this is what has given them the R&D to leap-frog Intel in process node advancement, as well as other big clients.

Ryzen 3700X: 8-CORE/16-THREAD, 4.8Ghz boost clock, 12% IPC increase is a reasonable expectation. This would trounce the upcoming Intel 9900K. That CPU's power draw would make it look like a relic in comparison, for one.

Amen to this. And lets not forget Pci-e 4.0 and 24 or more pci-e lanes.

Soldato
How is Ryzen with multiple sticks of ram? Just got the Aorus MATX B450 board and intend to run 4 sticks of LPX DDR3200. I’ve seen mention of issues on the web, but they seem to be from last year.
I can't answer your question but I would be keen to hear how you get on. I currently have 4 sticks of LPX DDR-3000 (Hynix) and I am debating 9900K vs 2700X. Like you I have only read of issues when trying to run 4 suck sticks on the mATX B450 boards.

Associate
So got the Corsair 3200mhz with
16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V timings. Seems fine at 3200, but will those timings drastically impact me?

They won't have a large impact, no. My 16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 ran at 3200Mhz when I built my sig rig no problem and I just left everything at default settings.

Soldato
So got the Corsair 3200mhz with 16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V timings. Seems fine at 3200, but will those timings drastically impact me?
I think they are basically the same as my sticks but just with different XMP timings (slightly faster, but looser). From another thread it seems that the ability to run 4 sticks of Hynix is dependent on the the VRM on the motherboard. Sadly all the B450 mATX boards are budget models and don't have great VRM. The ASRock B450M Pro4 seems to be the best of a bad lot as it is the only B450 mATX which has full VRM heatsinks. It is a 3+3 phase design which should help with the RAM.

Here are Buildzoid's thoughts on the Gigabyte VRM:
https://youtu.be/yWAwOH-egFs?t=926

Soldato
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere. I've also posted this in the *** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread *** thread. Apologies if you don't like double/duplicate posts.
TechPowerUp | Posted: 8 October 2018 said:
AMD Introduces Dynamic Local Mode for Threadripper: up to 47% Performance Gain

AMD has made a blog post describing an upcoming feature for their Threadripper processors called "Dynamic Local Mode", which should help a lot with gaming performance on AMD's latest flagship CPUs.

cHGypVN.jpg 1MTJYwR.jpg

Threadripper uses four dies in a multi-chip package, of which only two have a direct access path to the memory modules. The other two dies have to rely on Infinity Fabric for all their memory accesses, which comes with a significant latency hit. Many compute-heavy applications can run their workloads in the CPU cache, or require only very little memory access; these are not affected. Other applications, especially games, spread their workload over multiple cores, some of which end up with higher memory latency than expected, which results in a suboptimal performance.

The concept of multiple processors having different memory access paths is called NUMA (Non-uniform memory access). While technically it is possible for software to detect the NUMA configuration and attach each thread to the ideal processor core, most applications are not NUMA aware and the adoption rate is very slow, probably due to the low number of systems using such a concept.

yhto5FP.jpg rPjntrW.jpg

In ThreadRipper, using Ryzen Master, users are free to switch between "Local Memory Access" mode or "Distributed Memory Access" mode, with the latter being the default for ThreadRipper, resulting in highest compute application performance. Local Mode on the other hand is better suited to games, but switching between the modes requires a reboot, which is very inconvenient for users.

AMD's new "Dynamic Local Mode" seeks to abolish that requirement by introducing a background process that continually monitors all running applications for their CPU usage and pushes the more busy ones onto the cores that have direct memory access, by adjusting their process affinity mask, which selects which processors the application is allowed to be scheduled on. Applications that require very little CPU are in turn pushed onto the cores with no memory access, because they are not so important for fast execution.

K2pIrhP.jpg

This update will be available starting October 29 in Ryzen Master, and will be automatically enabled unless the user manually chooses to disable it. AMD also plans to open the feature up to even more users by including Dynamic Local Mode as a default package in the AMD Chipset Drivers.
Source: AMD Blog Post / TechPowerup

Last edited:
Soldato
Although I applaud AMD for developing something like this, I've always found the notion that a reboot into gaming mode is somehow "inconvenient". With fast RAM, fast CPU, NVMe SSDs, you're looking at a 15 second turnaround time? Oh no, think of all those lost frames you could have been playing with!

Soldato
So the performance figures are also misleading because you would already be able to get them if you just switch to "Game Mode"?
Game mode turns off half the CPU pushing everything to the remaining cores.

This solution is more clever as it pushes applications not needed to the back of the CPU. Something Microsoft should have done with the Scheduler now the CPU tech is moved forward.
And wrote SHOULD have done, because the Linux community have already resolve these issues since last year.

So in effect AMD is doing Microsoft's work here.

What hit me is that, would this work if someone only has Dual channel RAM on the TR4 system?
For no other reason as that it will greatly open the market to more customers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Posted in the Memory section of the forums as well >> Link
TechPowerUp | Posted: 11 October 2018 said:
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen v1.4.0 by 1usmus Released: Memory Settings Made Easy

Ukrainian PC enthusiast and software developer 1usmus today released DRAM Calculator for Ryzen version 1.4.0. This utility was formerly known as "Ryzen DRAM Calculator," which has since been voluntarily renamed by the author in the interest of avoiding any future trademark conflict with AMD, or giving users the impression that the software has been made by AMD. The change in name doesn't change the fact this could be your go-to app to figure out the best memory settings for your AMD Ryzen-powered machine.

PC enthusiasts usually only remember 4 or 5 DRAM timing settings besides DRAM clock and voltage, letting the motherboard BIOS figure out the rest of the stable values, which could often be looser than needed. DRAM Calculator for Ryzen figures out nearly every under-the-hood timing, voltage, clock-speed, and other setting needed to make the most out of your memory overclock. You can also make the app work out "safe," "stable," and "extreme" variations of its own calculations. Version 1.4.0 isn't just a name-change for the application. It introduces a large number of critical updates to the app that improve accuracy and functionality.

DOWNLOAD: DRAM Calculator for Ryzen v1.4.0

fiYvdML.jpg

The change-log follows.
  • Initial support Threadripper gen 1 and gen 2
  • Improved SOC voltage prediction for different processors and their generations
  • Additional window that will tell what minimum DRAM voltage is needed by the system
  • Additional windows that show a nanosecond delay for the current calculated profile. It will be especially useful for users who are reflashing SPD
  • Improved prediction procODT + RTT + CAD_BUS for some memory (the block has endured many changes)
  • Improved overclocking for Hynix CJR . Up to 3800 MHz inclusive. Big thanks @Reous for the help
  • A switch has been added to define system tasks, BGS / BGSalt recommendations depend on it. Turning off BGS allows you to increase gaming performance by up to 5%
  • The "Custom" profile will be based solely on the data that is placed in XMP. Its new name is "Debug". Mode designed from scratch, available for almost all chips (but still need some time for a more subtle configuration).I think this mode is needed for professionals who want to see all the changes relative to automatic overclocking or XMP profile. This will allow them to see some nuances that can not provide the profiles of "V1" and "V2".Also, this mode will be useful to owners of systems based on Intel processors.
  • Some changes in procODT + RTT for systems in which 4 RAM SR modules
  • Added support for Micron D-die
  • Changes in the code that will help speed up the development of the calculator (future versions)
  • Added some popup tips for key settings
  • New picture in folder Configuring Ryzen Systems v5
  • Other corrections/bug fixes
Source: TechPowerUp

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom