• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
There must be a language barrier or something as you can't have a 'silent' official position and you don't have to excuse or justify a position you've not taken.

Why do you say they haven't taken a position (wrong) when they clearly prefer to sell you configurations with single channel and don't care much about the performance reviews?

Soldato
Because you've failed to provide any evidence that they have, the OEM's have not published anything to indicate their point of view or attitude towards dual vs single rank SODIMM's.

Just because they prefer to sell you a configuration that uses single rank doesn't, in anyway, indicate what their official position is with regards to single vs dual rank, saying it is would be like saying McDonalds official position is that they think a large fries and large drink is better for you than a small fries and drink....hint: It's not better for you, it's better for them.

Permabanned
Because you've failed to provide any evidence that they have, the OEM's have not published anything to indicate their point of view or attitude towards dual vs single rank SODIMM's.

Just because they prefer to sell you a configuration that uses single rank doesn't, in anyway, indicate what their official position is with regards to single vs dual rank, saying it is would be like saying McDonalds official position is that they think a large fries and large drink is better for you than a small fries and drink....hint: It's not better for you, it's better for them.

Wrong - with single channel configurations they have worse products which show worse performance, hence less sales.

Soldato
Less sale according to who, you? Again you've failed to provide any evidence in support of your assumptions.

Sales have nothing to do with an official position. I mean seriously you've gone from saying there's no performance difference between single and dual rank, saying how it's their 'official position', saying how it's a 'silent' official position, that they know what's good and not good, to saying it's about sales....you know what they say about digging holes, right?

Soldato
And yes they are stupid, you only have to look at all the bloat they install so they can offer cheaper products to see that cost/price trumps all, you only have to look at all the security flaws introduced by OEM's (à la SuperFish). The only thing I'd trust OEM's to know is what's best for their bottom line.

How does that make them stupid? If they refused to install bloatware, they would have to increase their prices and sales would decrease. The profit margins amung the big 5 laptop manufacturers at the lower end are very low indeed.

Soldato
Personally I'd say it's stupid as (iirc) one of the biggest complaints about OEM's is the bloatware they install, what started as a means to reduce prices and increase sales has ended up having the opposite effect, at least that's the impression i get as I've not exactly done much research into OEM devices that use iGPU's.

Soldato
OP
Just made the jump to DDR4 3200Mhz (Sexy RGB ;) )

Amazed this cheap mobo I've had for ages can run maxed. Everything just works plug and play. Very impressed with Zen and it's compability. If can manage as 3000 Series chip in this board too before swapping it out in a couple of years will be icing on the cake xD

Awesome support from AMD.

Soldato
3200MHz CL16 seems to the current optimal performance/cost option. I wonder if that'll change between now and when Ryzen 3 is released. We also don't know how RAM speed and latency will affect performance this time around. Could be less, could be more!

Permabanned
Just made the jump to DDR4 3200Mhz (Sexy RGB ;) )

Amazed this cheap mobo I've had for ages can run maxed. Everything just works plug and play. Very impressed with Zen and it's compability. If can manage as 3000 Series chip in this board too before swapping it out in a couple of years will be icing on the cake xD

Awesome support from AMD.

I've had the opposite experience (Probably because I cheaped out on my M-ATX motherboard due to a lack of options as no-one does an X370 or X470 M-ATX board), I bought a B350 MSI Mortar M-ATX board with my 1600x, It was poorly built & it eventually failed so I bought an ASUS B350 M-ATX Prime board to replace it (The Asus Prime board was very well built), then when I upgraded to the 2700x I found the Asus Prime M-ATX board wouldn't let me run my 3200mhz memory any higher than 3000mhz with the 2700x, It was fine running the memory at 3200mhz with the 1600x but not with the 2700x so I grabbed an Asus Prime X470 Pro ATX board. This also has great build quality & it lets me run my 2700x with 3200mhz memory. I've got my fingers crossed for it with Ryzen 3000. :D

Soldato
Still a little earlier yet to rejoice but the latest BIOS released for my board which supports AGESA 0072 might have finally got my ram to run at DOCP.

Every time there's a BIOS update I try and usually it freezes eventually during gaming. This time round I've played a combined 3hrs of BF5 and RE2 and it is thus far stable.

Also as a bonus PBO is back in the BIOS which I have set to enabled.

Is there any point playing with the scalar value?

---

Edit* Eventually started getting crash to desktops. It's more stable but not 100%. Back to 3133Mhz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any one know why the version of the chipset drivers is older on the official AMD download page compared to the ASUS download page?

AMD version: 18.10.1810 - size: 65.1 MB - date: 10/26/2018

ASUS version: 18.50.16.01 - size: 367.86 MB - date: 03/08/2019

Soldato
If I kept my CPU at 3.7GHz rather than aim for 3.8 to 3.9, and tried to up my ram from 2933 to the native 3200 and tighten the timings, would that provide a bigger benefit than an extra 200MHz on the cores?
Depends on the situation, you'd have to try it really. I know upping RAM from 2666 MHz to 3000 MHz provided a noticeable boost in CPU benchmark performance on my undervolted R7 1700 (stock clocks). Some benchmarks show noticeable differences up to 3466 MHz but you're probably not gonna get the ~5% that going from 3.7 to 3.9 GHz would give you. It would, however, be more power efficient if you don't over-volt your RAM.

Soldato
Astonished at the bargain prices around right now, had a friend after a PC upgrade for his daughter and just managed to build an Ryzen 5 2600, with 16GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM and a decent MSI B450 MATX board for <£290. When you consider OCUK want £260 for a 9600K it was a no brainer really. Just need to decide on which GPU now, there's a £99 RX 570 which seems tempting as it's only used for light gaming, seems crazy to by something slower for more, wahter ever I chose it's gonnab e better than the Geforce 560 that is currently being used. :p

Soldato
Astonished at the bargain prices around right now, had a friend after a PC upgrade for his daughter and just managed to build an Ryzen 5 2600, with 16GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM and a decent MSI B450 MATX board for <£290. When you consider OCUK want £260 for a 9600K it was a no brainer really. Just need to decide on which GPU now, there's a £99 RX 570 which seems tempting as it's only used for light gaming, seems crazy to by something slower for more, wahter ever I chose it's gonnab e better than the Geforce 560 that is currently being used. :p

Mind trusting where you managed to those parts for that much!?

Back
Top Bottom