• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
So I'm set on a 16 core chip, equiv to my 2700 in the stack but that'll take a knock if I find my X470 TUF isn't upto the task, which I'm sure it won't be :( this is what happens when you buy the cheapest X470 chipset out at the time of cpu purchase, with poor VRM design...

Otherwise it'll have to be an 8 core to 8 core upgrade, which will be a shame as money's extremely tight this year with getting married her dress has to come first ... I have never been so broke,, but need my new arch revision to play with so what we looking at for an 8 core to 8 core performance wise between zen+ and zen2? Insignificant or worse in a poor board?

Soldato
Look around for msi-x470-gaming-pro-carbon-ac from a company in Bolton, it's shown as EOL.

One company? that i cant find anyway. The AC version can still be found but non AC board is even easier to find and they are all around the same £170-£180 price.

Buildzoid has a video about the Carbon X470 and said really good things about it, said it would be perfect if they had BCLK OC and Offset Voltage options in the BIOS, and since he did that video MSI have added Offset Voltage according to somebody else in these forums.

Edit.. https://youtu.be/PI-gm6Doiq4?t=1662 < Buildzoid on the VRM's.

I would update my AC version but if it isnt broken.. :)

@Gibbo do you know if this board will be back in stock please?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33q-ms.html

Last edited:
Soldato
So I'm set on a 16 core chip, equiv to my 2700 in the stack but that'll take a knock if I find my X470 TUF isn't upto the task, which I'm sure it won't be :( this is what happens when you buy the cheapest X470 chipset out at the time of cpu purchase, with poor VRM design...

Otherwise it'll have to be an 8 core to 8 core upgrade, which will be a shame as money's extremely tight this year with getting married her dress has to come first ... I have never been so broke,, but need my new arch revision to play with so what we looking at for an 8 core to 8 core performance wise between zen+ and zen2? Insignificant or worse in a poor board?

Personally I wouldn't bother unless it was at least the 12 core.

Associate
But but.... Shiney ... In all seriousness though what are expectations or facts if any at all.... I need more cores, but I will settle for faster ones

It is entirely possible a 12 core would work fine in that board, being a 7nm shrink and all. Maybe you wouldn't get much of an overclock on all cores but pbo over a couple may still work fine.

Permabanned
New laptops with new 12nm mobiles:

Experience smoother, more immersive gameplay with the new ASUS TUF Gaming FX705 AMD Edition.
Featuring a cutting-edge IPS-level NanoEdge display with AMD® FreeSync™ technology,
and armed with the latest AMD Ryzen™ processor and discrete Radeon™ graphics, it delivers high-performance gaming at an affordable price.
It’s also tested and certified to military-grade MIL-STD-810G standards, so you’re guaranteed toughness and durability that’s second to none.

Experience smoother, more immersive gameplay with the new ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DY.
Featuring a cutting-edge IPS-level NanoEdge display with AMD® FreeSync™ technology and a refresh rate up to 120Hz,
and armed with the latest AMD Ryzen™ processor and discrete Radeon™ graphics, it delivers high-performance gaming at an affordable price.
It’s also tested and certified to military-grade MIL-STD-810G standards, so you’re guaranteed toughness and durability that’s second to none.

Soldato

The 3800X is the 16 core chip. If you want equiv to your 2700 then you're looking at the 3700 which has 12 cores.
But but.... Shiney ... In all seriousness though what are expectations or facts if any at all.... I need more cores, but I will settle for faster ones

The facts are that the mid range Ryzen 5 beat the i9 at CES. The 3700 has 50% more cores than your 2700 so it should score 50% higher in Cinebench. We can only speculate at the rest but the clockspeeds should be about 15% higher and the IPC also 15% higher. So if you're current Cinebench score is 2,000, the 15% IPC increase should give you a score of 2,300. Then add on your 15% higher clock and you get 2,645. Then add on your 50% more cores and you get a Cinebech score of 3967. It's going to get crazy.

Soldato
I haven't seen major issues, any examples you can provide?
In the past it has been stuff like providing single channel RAM set ups for APU based notebooks which rely heavily on RAM latency/speed/capacity. Several of the few recent ryzen ones that have came out have had poor cooling design that has significantly throttled the system between what should be spec identical laptops, giving worse performance than the mobile parts should provide and providing a inconsistant user experiance. You then also have the very poor driver support for the onboard graphics, provided by vendors who were the only source that provided drivers often several months behind, which despite AMD promising to solve, has not been integrated into every new driver release as far as i am aware. These are all well known issues.

I have a full desktop system with them. But the laptop output by themselves and their partners has been flawed and particularly lackluster. Hopefully this is the start of changes in this area. Those laptops seem decent, I look forward to the reviews. (price is £949 btw)

Back
Top Bottom