1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Boomstick777, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Panos

Capodecina

Those games are 20 years old, made for Windows 98/ME!!!! Let them die for heaven sake.
    Backwards compatibility had held up Windows & Linux back. See what happens with Linux distros dropping completely compatibility for anything older than 5 years and how much faster running compared to all other distros.

2. TNA

Capodecina

Not bothered at all about Max Payne. I have it on steam, picked it up many years ago as I remember enjoying it on release so wanted it in my collection, but actually never felt like playing it again in the end. If it was say Deus Ex, then I may feel a bit different. Would I return my 3600, mobo and RAM over it? Not a chance.

3. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Played that game at Uni in 2000. Times change.

4. pete910

Mobster

Care to elaborate on that bit ?

5. Panos

Capodecina

Clear Linux is a great example here. It only works on Haswell era and newer CPUs, with few exceptions on Ivy Bridge also. It also works AMD Bulldozer and newer only.
    Is surprisingly fast distro dwarfing the performance rest by huge margins on most benchmarks. All other distros (and windows) are build to support everything released this century on 64bit and previous century on 32bit. Carrying a lot of crap, while none of the optimizations.

That forces the OS to not having optimized Kernels and software to the latest tech.

Gentoo build for Zen only, is surprisingly fast distro also, because it doesn't carry useless code and flags and especially if compiled with GCC 10 fully utilizes all the advanced architectural parts of the Zen 1 & Zen 2.

And since I am on technical details, lets put this also. The Scheduler runs on 15ms intervals talking to CPU and the latter decides how to boost.
    Ryzen 3000 CPUs are designed to operate on 1ms intervals and decide how to boost per 1ms not 15ms. That is why is paramount to run latest chipset drivers (at least the one after August) as it overrides partially the windows scheduler forcing it to communicate on 1ms intervals with the Ryzen CPUs. So CPU clocks are faster to respond and throttle according to the need 15 times faster than the Windows Scheduler by default.

6. Martini1991

Caporegime

I played through the Max Payne games just last year on my Ryzen 2XXX kit. I'd have been devastated if my Ryzen 3XXX upgrade had prevented me from playing them.

PC gaming always has "That backlog" as a positive.

I'd use my Girlfriend's gaming PC to play the game though, the same as I had to with Amazing Spiderman since it will not work on AMD GPU's.

7. Panos

Capodecina

You can always player them with virtual machine. Or in compatibility mode. The guy in the video hasn't said anything about trying this.
    I play Ravenloft 2 tonight on my 3900X. I have no issues other than would loved to have a CRT monitor.

8. pete910

Mobster

Whilst clear is quick it's also slow in other areas so its not all bells and whistles like your trying to make out, I agree it shows what's doable. Also clear works fine on a old hardware so not sure where you're getting that from, maybe not P100 era I agree :p

Clears also has numerous caveats if you wish to use it , though it's not really aimed at average joe but that's another discussion.

No idea about windows, don't use it so :D

9. Panos

Capodecina

Anything older than Ivy isn't supported. Why you do not use google to find thread after thread asking for old CPU support?

10. pete910

Mobster

Was sandy after Ivy as it works on a 2500k ?

Cant say I've looked to be frank.

Like i said, it's not aimed at mainstream.

11. Woodsta888

Wise Guy

Sandy was before Ivy. A 2500k was Sandy as I upgraded my z77 setup from i5 2500k and dropped in an i7 3770k

12. TrixX

Hitman

True but architecturally they are almost identical, so anything that supports Ivy likely works with Sandy too. Though it may have slight issues.

13. jigger

Capodecina

So the 25th for the 3950X.

14. Quixote

Wise Guy

So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record - does anyone know when 3950x pre-orders go live ?

15. Martini1991

Caporegime

There's no guarantee of pre orders since pre orders only really happen on paper launches and even then it's rare.

16. Quixote

Wise Guy

Ah, I see, it's just 1st come 1st served on the 25th ?
    I can't remember the last time I was shopping for a part that wasn't likely to be in easy supply.

17. Martini1991

Caporegime

I can't say for definite because I know nothing about anything.
    But there's always a misconception about pre-orders. It's very rare with PC kit because of NDA's and all that.

I can be quoted saying the exact same thing for the 5700XT and Ryzen 3XXX launch, and that played out as I imagined it would.

There's some caveats with the 3950X though. It's coming later than originally penned, and the architecture stuff is no longer under the same NDA it was. But then I'd have expected a paper launch by now with pre-orders having already been live if AMD were to go down that route.

18. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

19. DragonQ

Soldato

For $49 the Athlon 3000G is probably the perfect budget office/general use CPU right now. Imagine a Zen 2 based version next year though!

20. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Will the B350/A320/X370 boards get a new BIOS update that is said to bring about >100 fixes?