• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Clear Linux is a great example here. It only works on Haswell era and newer CPUs, with few exceptions on Ivy Bridge also. It also works AMD Bulldozer and newer only.
Is surprisingly fast distro dwarfing the performance rest by huge margins on most benchmarks. All other distros (and windows) are build to support everything released this century on 64bit and previous century on 32bit. Carrying a lot of crap, while none of the optimizations.

That forces the OS to not having optimized Kernels and software to the latest tech.

Gentoo build for Zen only, is surprisingly fast distro also, because it doesn't carry useless code and flags and especially if compiled with GCC 10 fully utilizes all the advanced architectural parts of the Zen 1 & Zen 2.

And since I am on technical details, lets put this also. The Scheduler runs on 15ms intervals talking to CPU and the latter decides how to boost.
Ryzen 3000 CPUs are designed to operate on 1ms intervals and decide how to boost per 1ms not 15ms. That is why is paramount to run latest chipset drivers (at least the one after August) as it overrides partially the windows scheduler forcing it to communicate on 1ms intervals with the Ryzen CPUs. So CPU clocks are faster to respond and throttle according to the need 15 times faster than the Windows Scheduler by default.

Whilst clear is quick it's also slow in other areas so its not all bells and whistles like your trying to make out, I agree it shows what's doable. Also clear works fine on a old hardware so not sure where you're getting that from, maybe not P100 era I agree :p

Clears also has numerous caveats if you wish to use it , though it's not really aimed at average joe but that's another discussion.

No idea about windows, don't use it so :D

Soldato
Whilst clear is quick it's also slow in other areas so its not all bells and whistles like your trying to make out, I agree it shows what's doable. Also clear works fine on a old hardware so not sure where you're getting that from, maybe not P100 era I agree :p

Clears also has numerous caveats if you wish to use it , though it's not really aimed at average joe but that's another discussion.

No idea about windows, don't use it so :D

Anything older than Ivy isn't supported. Why you do not use google to find thread after thread asking for old CPU support?

Caporegime
Ah, I see, it's just 1st come 1st served on the 25th ?
I can't remember the last time I was shopping for a part that wasn't likely to be in easy supply.

I can't say for definite because I know nothing about anything.
But there's always a misconception about pre-orders. It's very rare with PC kit because of NDA's and all that.

I can be quoted saying the exact same thing for the 5700XT and Ryzen 3XXX launch, and that played out as I imagined it would.

There's some caveats with the 3950X though. It's coming later than originally penned, and the architecture stuff is no longer under the same NDA it was. But then I'd have expected a paper launch by now with pre-orders having already been live if AMD were to go down that route.

Permabanned
Let's hope they have just started to roll the BIOS updates for all boards.

Question - is it possible to move the cIOd chiplet from the CPU substrate to the boards? Thus leaving only one or two chiplets for the processors themselves.

This should leave room to increase the size of the chiplets and allow more than only 8 cores.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Let's hope they have just started to roll the BIOS updates for all boards.

Question - is it possible to move the cIOd chiplet from the CPU substrate to the boards? Thus leaving only one or two chiplets for the processors themselves.

This should leave room to increase the size of the chiplets and allow more than only 8 cores.

no it’s not the infinity fabric won’t go that sort of distance and introduce more latency. And moving as much as they can to that io chiplet makes it more and more important.

Plus amd only need to make the io chiplet 7nm like the rest of the chiplets and they can add another 8 cores to the main stream anyhow. But the question is do we need 24 cores 48 threads :)

Soldato
But the question is do we need 24 cores 48 threads :)

Well, "need" as @pete910 put it is irrelevant :D

But also we do " NEED" :D a 16 core TR 3000. Seems quad channel ram is the way to do for gaming :D

Hell cannot imagine the performance next year with the 4000 series, considering that CCX goes the way of the Dodo and each CCD would be with 8 Zen 3 cores (no 2 quad CCX), with over 32MB L3.

That monstrosity with with quad channel ram going to chew anything thrown at it for years, until DDR5 6400Mhz ram is cheap enough.

TrM

TrM

Associate
When has need had any part in it :p

So true hehe:)

Well, "need" as @pete910 put it is irrelevant :D

But also we do " NEED" :D a 16 core TR 3000. Seems quad channel ram is the way to do for gaming :D

Hell cannot imagine the performance next year with the 4000 series, considering that CCX goes the way of the Dodo and each CCD would be with 8 Zen 3 cores (no 2 quad CCX), with over 32MB L3.

That monstrosity with with quad channel ram going to chew anything thrown at it for years, until DDR5 6400Mhz ram is cheap enough.

The whole removing the ccx is a nice leap forward for amd :) and I’m looking forward to the 4000 series cpu I’m just hoping that my 3900x will hold its resale value better then previous generation CPU’s and being amd just drop it into my x570:)

Back
Top Bottom