1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Boomstick777, Apr 10, 2015.

1. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Year 2025..

2. Praz94

Hitman

On 5nm and hitting 5ghz

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. 4K8KW10

Soldato

4. Destination

Capodecina

WHat exactly is that telling us?

5. Panos

Capodecina

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...tecture_not_process_tech_says_amd_s_lisa_su/1

Basically Lisa Su said that AMD will continue focusing on improving to architecture every year, instead of trying to refine the process (aka adding more clock speed).

And completely agree with her. Especially as the transistors getting smaller and closer packed together and the physics involved prohibiting it more power & speeds. (at 5nm we might lose 1Ghz).

Gains exist on cutting power and add more transistors tweaking the architecture from now on.

The end of adding more power and clocks to a half decade old architecture like Intel does with Skylake 4+ years now (August 2015).

6. Alan1969

Hitman

AMD has a nice line up now. The APUs are decent and good value. They just keep getting better.

7. willhub

Capodecina

What happens when we get to 1nm? Will there be improvements like 0.70nm, 0.50, 0.40, 0.14, 0.7 etc.. until 0nm? lol

8. NeverWinter

Soldato

9. willhub

Capodecina

So one can assume that as our CPUs are getting smaller, as we start to hit the hard limit of reduction of transistors, the physical hardware will then start to increase to add more power?

10. 4K8KW10

Soldato

Probably no.

Quantum, cloud power via internet connection... other technologies....

11. jigger

Capodecina

Processing power will be so abundant you won’t need a PC. Passively powdered devices, smart carpets and wall paper for everyone!

12. almoststew1990

Mobster

Am I going to see much difference in upgrading my BIOS and CPU/chipset drivers from the launch ones? I saw the second release was a bit buggy or something so didn't bother.

My board is a Asus x470 Prime Pro. The latest BIOS is from the end of September. I'm on a July one I think.

13. welshrat

Gangster

I have the same board with a 3700x. Latest bios is fine. I would suggest moving to latest drivers and bios

14. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

Wow Ryzen 2 is not compatible with max payne games, just tried it and I confirm it crashes.

15. Harlequin

Mobster

WOW Starlancer is not compatible with any modern cpu or OS either......

16. Panos

Capodecina

2nm going to be the barrier for CPUs & GPUs. Anything smaller and there is going to be too much electric interference.

17. TNA

Capodecina

By the time we get there, there will be some other tech or way of improving me thinks. At least that is what Keller was saying.

18. Panos

Capodecina

We would be moving to Carbon by then. But is not that far away to hit the 2nm, 2024-2025 is just 5 years away.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

Even if you move to carbon, it’s not going to stop the limitations of quantum tunnelling at atomic wavelengths.

We also have limitations on heat density regardless of technology, something we’re starting to notice I’d assume.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  20. Aretak

Wise Guy

There are always going to be compatibility issues between old software and modern operating systems and hardware. Seems a weird reason to go flouncing off returning an entire system, unless you're a Youtuber looking to whip up outrage for views I suppose.

If you're really interested in playing games from the XP era and before, it'd be best to keep a second system around with some older components and a period-appropriate OS installed. You could get a system for XP gaming that'd run everything at >100fps for less than £100, combining something like a Sandy Bridge i3-based system with a 750 Ti (which has official XP drivers). There aren't many XP games that can make use of more than a single core (some even have issues if you have more than one core), so a lot of people even disable all but one in the BIOS or use software to limit it per application. Of course, you can go with period-appropriate hardware too, but that's a lot more expensive. Something around the Sandy Bridge era seems to provide a good balance of compatibility without being gouged for "retro" hardware.

Although Max Payne is even older than that and apparently had issues running on XP initially. It entertains me that I found a thread from 2004 with somebody having issues running it on XP, which contains a patch link providing a fix that still works today. It's somehow comforting to know that 3D Realms' FTP server is still up and running almost 16 years later.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/130554-max-payne-1-doesnt-work-in-xp/