• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
After a recent experience I now think AMD are ****ed. Not because of bad products, but because organisations like the one I work for (local gov) will not *ever* consider using them.

We have just finalised our min spec requirement for buying new workstations.

In the discussions about what we should stipulate, the bosses made it quite clear they would only ever have Intel CPUs in any of the servers or workstations.

When AMD was mentioned, they actually laughed. "Oh they're cheap imitations for home users. Not for serious work!"

When the question was asked, "Are we locking ourselves into buying Intel forever?" the answer was pretty much "It's Intel or nothing."

So yeah, with attitudes like this AMD just can not succeed. They can't overturn the perception that Intel is the only choice.

Pretty much how we'll never consider anything other than Windows, we'll never consider anything other than Intel hardware. The end.

But that's just the wrong attitude to have.

so many AMD haters in this thread.

I don't get that vibe, it's overwhelmingly the opposite.

Permabanned
After a recent experience I now think AMD are ****ed. Not because of bad products, but because organisations like the one I work for (local gov) will not *ever* consider using them.

We have just finalised our min spec requirement for buying new workstations.

In the discussions about what we should stipulate, the bosses made it quite clear they would only ever have Intel CPUs in any of the servers or workstations.

When AMD was mentioned, they actually laughed. "Oh they're cheap imitations for home users. Not for serious work!"

When the question was asked, "Are we locking ourselves into buying Intel forever?" the answer was pretty much "It's Intel or nothing."

So yeah, with attitudes like this AMD just can not succeed. They can't overturn the perception that Intel is the only choice.

Pretty much how we'll never consider anything other than Windows, we'll never consider anything other than Intel hardware. The end.

So what case did you put forward to educate them? If you did nothing you are part of the problem, not the solution.

V F

V F

Soldato
No but theres a difference between reality and delivering. They said the same thing about Bulldozer.

Hasn't it been 10 years since AMD officially could compete against Intel for the Core Duo... Where the chips were more or less on par.

Caporegime
So what case did you put forward to educate them? If you did nothing you are part of the problem, not the solution.

LOL, no. I have little influence and no authority. I'm not getting fired to promote AMD chips, when all the other members of the team are advocating Intel (only).

What I'm saying is, amongst people who places orders for hardware, AMD are seen as "imitation" chips, like fake Chinese knock-offs. And that idea is so firmly embedded, that mentioning AMD actually made them laugh.

So this is what AMD are up against. In the corporate (government at least) world, AMD is a joke.

Last edited:
Soldato
Where I used to work. We spec'd every workstation based on its main usage. Many had a mix of Intel and AMD. That was back in the early 2000s, before I took redundancy. I still maintain the same policy. Unfortunately, Intel have been on top for a long time now, since AMD went down the silly route of the Bulldozer core design.

I will still spec a workstation based on its main usage, from all hardware available. So if that means that AMD Ryzen, becomes a viable option compared Intel offerings, then I'll look at both equally. I have no allegiance to any manufacturer.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

LOL, no. I have little influence and no authority. I'm not getting fired to promote AMD chips, when all the other members of the team are advocating Intel (only).

What I'm saying is, amongst people who places orders for hardware, AMD are seen as "imitation" chips, like fake Chinese knock-offs. And that idea is so firmly embedded, that mentioning AMD actually made them laugh.

So this is what AMD are up against. In the corporate (government at least) world, AMD is a joke.

Sounds like you work for a two bit operation. That certainly isn't how discussions went when I worked with Hewlett Packard, IBM, Dell and fujitsu when specing things out.

Associate
I run a 5960x but I'm hoping Zen is as competitive as it appears at the moment because Intel need a good kick up the backside. I waited until June this year in the hope that the Broadwell-E 10-core would be the new extreme chip, but then when they were released instead they extracted the urine and created a new super-expensive £1400 price point and offered another 8 core chip at around £900. As that had little advantage over the 5960x at all I (begrudgingly) went for that instead.

I have no doubt that if the top Zen can get close to the 6900K for under £600 then we might finally see the nudge up in performance and cores at pricepoints that we should have seen already. The Q6600 came out in 2006 and 10 years later we're still getting quad cores up to £350 from Intel. If the 6 and 8 core Zen chips are as strong as hoped then we might see Coffeelake early or the HEDT chips at lower price points like we used to.

Competition is always good.

Soldato
My wife works for the council in the energy department, the amount of money that's wasted on failed projects and bad decisions is staggering.

Mate of mine works for NHS in IT also he showed he pics from a warehouse they store brand new unboxed hardware in, some of its been there long enough to run out of warranty lol. These all add to our tax bills.

Sad thing is many of the people in charge in these types of organisations are yes people and often incompetent at their actual jobs.

I'm very conscious at work about spending money, I spec all hardware on a job by job basis and once AMD get their act in gear if they offer good performance at the required job and the price is good I will be adding their products to our inventory.

Funnily enough I spoke to two of our suppliers this past few weeks and both of them mentioned AMD during conversation and in a positive light.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah. The thing most people don't realise is that AMD have a lot of solutions in the server space where they offer better MIPS per $ performance. Headline performance figures rarely come into play when your architecture consists of thousands of racks.

Permabanned
looks like AMD have beaten Intel on power efficiency which is a first for them and by quite a big margin too 95w vs 140w .

if the benchmarks are anything to go by they have beat them on performance too.

dont forget very few people overclock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom