• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Intel can't magic something up.
All Intel can do is price drop current crop and alter tiers on new CPU series launch.

Unless Intel have some architecture that's baking away somewhere.

They can't magic something up, but they've had the past 10 years of sitting very comfortably ahead. If the ~5% IPC increase is truly the "best" they can do with their huge R&D budget then they would have some serious questions to answer.

My expectation is that Intel will jump back ahead fairly soon, but it's important that another company is there to give them a kick up the backside.

Soldato
Canonlake is the only real change in intels consumer lineup with a mainstream 6 core part. But that might have been due to what they had been hearing about zen. Their plans are laid out a year or more in advance, all they can do for now is change their product lineup since a 4c8t Zen part will be on par with their consumer i7's, making the i3 and i5 parts redundant if prices around i3-i5 price range.

Caporegime
Oh, I can't imagine Intel just spending the next decade being behind or anything.

Intel have a 10 core CPU anyway, so they've probably still got the best performing flagship.
But if AMD were suddenly completely ahead for a few years, I can't see the ultimate issue as long as there's consumer choice.

Soldato
Oh, I can't imagine Intel just spending the next decade being behind or anything.

Intel have a 10 core CPU anyway, so they've probably still got the best performing flagship.
But if AMD were suddenly completely ahead for a few years, I can't see the ultimate issue as long as there's consumer choice.

The issue with their current 8 and 10 core is price though. if amd drop 8 core Ryzen for 350-500 depending on lowest end to overclocker binned parts. then intel will have problems if they keep the prices so high for HEDT parts.

Caporegime
The issue with their current 8 and 10 core is price though. if amd drop 8 core Ryzen for 350-500 depending on lowest end to overclocker binned parts. then intel will have problems if they keep the prices so high for HEDT parts.

Their only option is to either ride it out or lower prices though.

Ultimately think they can do whatever with their 10 core though.

Soldato
coffee lake - the 6 core will be 14nm and high end igpu

intel are still having issues with 10nm , as cannonlake will be a2 or 4 core with low end igpu

QUALCOMM are shipping 10nm snapdragon 835 on Samsung finfet process

Fudge, i meant coffeelake for the consumer 6 core. :p

The big difference is that a Phone SOC is often less complex and far smaller compared to a monolithic CPU/GPU.

bru

bru

Soldato
Maybe we could see a big marketing push for Intel, using the APU aspect, seeing all the initial Ryzen parts will have no IGPU.

If not Intel could just use Kabylake, solder on the IHS, raise the clocks and up the allowed voltage, hey presto a Devils canyon mk2 that actually clocks much better. ;)

Soldato
Their only option is to either ride it out or lower prices though.

Ultimately think they can do whatever with their 10 core though.

Just makes me wonder what they will do when 4c8t Ryzen drops, because it will no doubt have higher clocks and similar IPC to 8c16t. So should in theory compete with the current i7's.

Soldato
They'd have to drop their i7 pricing or change their tiers when their new SKU's launch.

Depending on Zen pricing obviously.

Yeah, although i can see intel trying to ride their current hype and keeping prices high for a generation still. I would think that they will have to completely rethink their Tiers for their next gen if AMD has a well priced 4c8t part, assuming AMD keeps SMT on their lowest tier part which i can see them doing.

Back
Top Bottom