• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Am I correct in thinking that maybe AMD has screwed up with the X370 chipset? Maybe this isn't going to get much better and they cut too many corners trying to make it cheaper than X99?

No. Is just motherboards that are rushed. Also don't forget the Ryzen is SOC, so the functionality of the X370/B350 etc is different that the X99.
Is more simplified with the good meaning, because the actual workings of the chipset are in the CPU.
The issues are with the boards which is getting resolved. See the Gigabyte K5 or the Tomahawk. Great boards.

Soldato
Good video from adoredTV there. Very confidence inspiring for anyone looking into buying a Ryzen.
BUT WAIT...The 8350 is faster than a 2500k now? And the 9550 smashes it. What happened?

It really is funny, if someone asked if they should upgrade their 2500k the answers would be no its fine or just overclock it, yet if someone with an 8350 asks it would be completely different.
I guess we are all used to AMD being tosh.

OcUK Staff
Ok im making progress. With the 5803 bios, it seems stable with all memory settings on "auto" However it still BSOD's if I use any of the DOCP profiles

Remember oc above Imc rated speed is not ever guaranteed. Also xmp is an intel thing not qualified at all on amd platforms.

It's actually amd as well as board partners who need to fix these mem issues with correct memory tables. Optimization of core performance in multi thread was amd's goal. Sadly had they tested they would have seen 3000 or so mems is as good as 200Mhz on core so should have also paid attention to this.

Associate
ok well I have a friend bringing his TG xtreem memory round now. If that works fine with DOCP profiles, then ill most likely just buy a different kit of memory and send this GeIL stuff back.

Associate
ok well I have a friend bringing his TG xtreem memory round now. If that works fine with DOCP profiles, then ill most likely just buy a different kit of memory and send this GeIL stuff back.

But before you send it back you must punish it. Do you have a hammer ?

:D

Associate
Thinking I must be one of the few that's having very few issues with the Crosshair VI. Only really had the occasional stuck on boot but a restart sorts it. Running Corsair 3000MHz Vengeance LPX at 2933MHz no problem. Just chose the closest to 3000MHz in the drop down menu.

Soldato
In a few months, when there are some more Mini ITX boards, and if 4C 8T gaming performance is on par/close to Intel 7600K, it'll likely be the next upgrade for me. I'm looking to go ITX anyway, and with pretty low temps on the 8C 16T R7 series, I'm excited to see what can be done.

Associate
just flicking through the installation instructions that came with my 1700, and noticed it says the following..
"use ONLY the heatsink/fan provided. Use of any other heatsink/fan will void the warranty."

is that normal? seems a little strange to me..

Caporegime
just flicking through the installation instructions that came with my 1700, and noticed it says the following..
"use ONLY the heatsink/fan provided. Use of any other heatsink/fan will void the warranty."

is that normal? seems a little strange to me..

Pretty sure that's standard rhetoric on most cpu's.

Back
Top Bottom