• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
Would it be fair to say then that if AMD had the same performance and features they should be valued the same as Nvidia?

It's about perception to the market. I don't care personally if AMD is "behind" and is cheaper. But most of the market seems to care about so called value added features. So AMD has to be seen competing in this regard. FSR3 really needs to be hear sooner rather than later. If it had been in Starfield it would have helped them.

Last edited:
Suspended
It's about perception to the market. I don't care personally if AMD is "behind" and is cheaper. But most of the market seems to care about so called value added features. So AMD has to be seen competing in this regard. FSR3 really needs to be hear sooner rather than later. If it had been in Starfield it would have helped them.

So when it is out them AMD will gain market share, i don't see the problem?

Soldato
So when it is out them AMD will gain market share, i don't see the problem?

It's not out now and it's been almost a year since DLSS3. If it had been in time for Starfield, there would be less of this talk about dlss. It seems Starfield is becoming free advertising for Nvidia now about how crap FSR2 is. They are more worried about getting this out in Cyberpunk 2077.

Why isn't Starfield on the FSR3 list?

Last edited:
Caporegime

The problem is these features are actually making a big impact to the experience hence why there is more value placed on them. As discussed many times now, there is no way of getting away from how vital upscaling is becoming to a pc gamers experience, you either:

- significantly drop your settings resulting in noticeably worse IQ "overall" to achieve the same performance as you would with higher settings AND upscaling

Or

- use upscaling to allow good performance with higher graphical settings

Take your pick and bear in mind that devs are 100% relying on these things now as "optimisation" for their games.

The argument of consoles being shamed upon by PCMR wasn't as relevant back then as pc didn't need this due to how much better and further ahead the pc platform was and even nowadays, arguably still is, don't forget consoles are sacrificing the settings (especially on RT which whether people like it or not does improve IQ on the whole) even further and dropping to as low as 480p in games just to "maintain" a locked 30 fps..... Not to mention, the upscaling methods available to pc is far superior to what consoles had/have as proven time and time again.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
it'll be the game engine keeping track of all the npc's, objects, quest stages etc. there will be a lot of npcs with their own set daily schedule and so on. i would assume that graphics rendering is of a lower priority than that to make sure that npc's, objects and quests fire off correctly and are in the right places, i could be wrong though.

In the Digital Foundry video they left a pile of bottles randomly on the floor in a toilet booth and then coming after visiting 10 other planets and the bottles were still there exactly as they placed them. The game engine is keeping track of everything it seems. No wonder it is cpu heavy.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
In the Digital Foundry video they left a pile of bottles randomly on the floor in a toilet booth and then coming after visiting 10 other planets and the bottles were still there exactly as they placed them. The game engine is keeping track of everything it seems. No wonder it is cpu heavy.
I wouldn't call that CPU intensive tasking, you could save the game at that point, exit, restart the PC, then go back to the game and find the bottles still there which shows that the location data of dropped items is being stored to disk - which makes total sense as these are just text entries which are recalled when you re-enter that area later and the loading screen loads the area, inc dropped items etc.

Soldato
I wouldn't call that CPU intensive tasking, you could save the game at that point, exit, restart the PC, then go back to the game and find the bottles still there which shows that the location data of dropped items is being stored to disk - which makes total sense as these are just text entries which are recalled when you re-enter that area later and the loading screen loads the area, inc dropped items etc.
Well it was the same in Fallout 4.After a few 100 hours the save files were 10s of MB each.

Soldato
I tried the HDR LUT fix and had to remove it. It was looking better up until I visited a remote planet after a distress call and the ground had loads of neon green low res textures. I removed the LUT fix textures and it was back to normal. I wish I had taken a note of the planet now but I'm back to waiting on official patches if they ever come.

I also upgraded my ship and it makes the Space combat easier and less annoying. To clarify, my issue with the space bit was how the enemy AI always seemd placed right inside their scanner range and most of the fights are to the death anyway. So turning your shields off is totally counterproductive and every fight seemed to be head gung-hol right at the enemy and hope you simply out-tank them. Maybe there are some long range high yield missiles that can bought?

Soldato
it'll be the game engine keeping track of all the npc's, objects, quest stages etc. there will be a lot of npcs with their own set daily schedule and so on. i would assume that graphics rendering is of a lower priority than that to make sure that npc's, objects and quests fire off correctly and are in the right places, i could be wrong though.
Game engine keeps a low level tracking of npc's AI packages i.e. routines thats simply to prevent every npc from exiting their houses etc as soon as you enter an area instead they'll all be at their locations doing whatever they're supposed to be doing already. Everything else is stored as data within the savegame and loaded when the cell loads

Graphics level is more to do with drawcalls and texture size a medium or low settings level simply uses lower mipmap resolutions of textures i.e. instead of 2k or even 1k they'll be 512kb instead as well as lower shadow resolutions in bethesda games they're very cpu intensive. Its all pretty basic stuff

Its not preserved by cpu cycles its preserved by the savegame Havok or whatever they're using now stores the position of every object affected by havok physics in the savegame everytime that cell loads it loads the x,y,z co-ords of every clutter object (objects that move). Most objects are static so unaffected

Traditionally in bethesda games if you enter console command resetinterior <cell i.d.> for an unloaded interior cell it'll reset the havok'd object and they'll all be returned to their default position and your savegame will be slightly smaller as it removes all the havok data for that cell

This is just basic videogame ABC I'd really like to know what DF are smoking

When he did the Digital Foundry intro i was expecting Digital shilliries due to seeing it on this forum so much.
DF are idiots.

7 minutes it's been upoaded and you've watched it already?! :p
That negates anything because?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Forspoken and Immortals of Aveum will be the first 2... weird choice as both of those games are terrible, Forspoken was that bad Square Enix closed the studio down and IOA's devs are slowly being laid off :cry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom