• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Associate
Waiting on proper comparisons.

I guess it’s an option in games that won’t support DLSS Upscaling/FG/RT reconstruction but having to use FSR garbage to use the FG will hurt.

Nonetheless already enjoying my popcorn with all the hypocrites on reddit that were ‘fake frames bro’ suddenly be all up FG the bestestest ever thing! .. once AMD has it :))

Last edited:
Soldato
As a 4080 owner I’m not a fan of FG but having a brand agnostic version is a good thing IMHO. So kudos to AMD for finally releasing it. Though I see the usual suspects are gearing up to dismiss it totally while claiming not to be hypocrites.

Just don’t expect it to be a game changer for those with low FPS. My experience of FG is that paradoxically you need decent base FPS for it to work at a reasonably acceptable lag.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yes you need at least a 60fps baseline to then get you the 100fps+ with FG that is necessary to not have rubbish mouse input latency rubber-banding.

Timetsamped link, it is not as stable an image vs 1080p native resolution :p

Last edited:
Associate
Yes you need at least a 60fps baseline to then get you the 100fps+ with FG that is necessary to not have rubbish mouse input latency rubber-banding.

Timetsamped link, it is not as stable an image vs 1080p native resolution :p
Seems a bit low of an uplift from ~50 to ~70 fps.
It is RTX 3050 so hopefully it will run much better on faster GPUs.

Soldato
Yes but if you are getting 60 FPS you don’t need more :p

I kid of course but personally I’m lucky because with the advent of VRR I find even low 40 FPS to be playable. So while aiming for that as a baseline, enabling FG introduces very noticeable lag. If I’m getting 60 I don’t need 120. Sacrilege I know, I’ll just make my way to the lower class console forums :D

Soldato
Seems a bit low of an uplift from ~50 to ~70 fps.
It is RTX 3050 so hopefully it will run much better on faster GPUs.

I went from 85 to ~150 all settings max @ 3440x1440

These are my numbers a little more in depth.

Native was 60-65fps
FSR 3 Quality 80-90fps
FSR 3 Quality with FG 130-155fps

Over native resolution it more than doubled my fps and still looked perfectly fine, I will see what the upscaling looks like by upscaling from 1080p to 1440p.

1080p upscaled to 1440p
Native ~85
FSR Q ~110
FSR Q FG ~190

Last edited:
Associate
Yes but if you are getting 60 FPS you don’t need more :p

I kid of course but personally I’m lucky because with the advent of VRR I find even low 40 FPS to be playable. So while aiming for that as a baseline, enabling FG introduces very noticeable lag. If I’m getting 60 I don’t need 120. Sacrilege I know, I’ll just make my way to the lower class console forums :D
If nothing else increased frame rate increases motion resolution as well.
What’s the point of 4K display if in motion that drops to 1/5 of that.

Caporegime
Just use Nvidias FG or did Nvidia block that?
I think you're just being obtuse for the sake of it here....

There are 2 possible sides to the story here and either one isn't unlikely until testing or/and amd confirm why this is the case.

If Nvidia allow all upscaling and even no upscaling to be used with their frame gen then why can't amds? Are they again deciding what is best for their customers even though it has been shown time and time again, their solutions are not what's best for "all" customers. If it's because it 100% relies on the upscaling side of fsr or/and natives method of motion vectors then that is fine but if not... Well let's just say amd got called out by all the tech press (and before you say Nvidia shills, better tweet and call out gamer nexus and hub) for their "potential" dodgy behaviour surrounding their amd sponsored titles and lack of competitors upscaling and the same will happen again if this is the case....

Last edited:
Soldato
From initial impressions it more than works well. Exceed expectations of what it can do, refresh cap on my monitor (165hz) with upscaling 1080p to 1440p still looks good, everything maxed inc RT in Forspoken.

Now we just need FSR3 in some actually good games.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Quick update, bit of lunch browsing lead me to find out that the Forspoken demo has also been updated to support FSR 3 now, so anyone can check it out, I did just that.

(Might still be processing on YT)

Watch the frametime graph, it's got a steady stream of micro stutters in the frame delay with FSR frame gen turned on, but the actual registered latency itself is almost 0ms which is weird. In person whilst moving around etc there appears to be zero latency introduced and this game has no Reflex option and what I'm feeling with the mouse corresponds with what the RTSS frametime latency number is showing.
  • Native 3440x1440 all max settings = 70-80fps
  • DLSS Quality = 90-110 fps
  • FSR 3 Quality + Frame Gen = 175fps
Nice work AMD, now release it on more games please.

So regardless of the graph line itself being a steady jitter, the actual motion and feel is overall excellent.

Props to AMD here I guess, from 70-80~ fps native to 170+fps with FSR3 FG enabled.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quick update, bit of lunch browsing lead me to find out that the Forspoken demo has also been updated to support FSR 3 now, so anyone can check it out, I did just that.

(Might still be processing on YT)

Watch the frametime graph, it's got a steady stream of micro stutters in the frame delay with FSR frame gen turned on, but the actual registered latency itself is almost 0ms which is weird. In person whilst moving around etc there appears to be zero latency introduced and this game has no Reflex option and what I'm feeling with the mouse corresponds with what the RTSS frametime latency number is showing.
  • Native 3440x1440 all max settings = 70-80fps
  • DLSS Quality 100% render scale (so just using DLSS for its AA advantage) = 90-110 fps
  • FSR 3 Quality + Frame Gen 100% render scale (so just using FSR for its AA advantage) = 175fps
Nice work AMD, now release it on more games please.

So regardless of the graph line itself being a steady jitter, the actual motion and feel is overall excellent.

Props to AMD here I guess, from 70-80~ fps native to 170+fps with FSR3 FG enabled.
And let's just hope it remains a consistent quality and experience and isn't just a one of!

What about shimmering, aliasing and so on? Noticeable?

Btw, supposedly the micro stutter is down to FPS caps, apparently there is none if using nvcp FPS cap.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Forspoken isn't the kind of game to notice shimmering I think, at least not outside anyway lol, need games like Starfield or Cyberpunk to have it to really tell what's what. Everything in Forspoken looks "clean" though with FSR 3 FG enabled. Looks as good as I would expect from DLSS from the brief run through I did from a visual performance POV.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Forspoken isn't the kind of game to notice shimmering etc, need games like Starfield or Cyberpunk to have it to really tell what's what. Everything in Forspoken looks "clean" though with FSR 3 FG enabled. Looks as good as I would expect from DLSS from the brief run through I did from a visual performance POV.

Not played myself yet but just read on Reddit where there is foliage/grass in forspoken, it's quite bad?

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds promising. I will happily try it out on my 3080 laptop as recent releases were not very enjoyable on that.

Back
Top Bottom