• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
I keep testing fake frames… er I mean frame generation in CP2077 and The Witcher 3. This is at 4K on a 4080.

My first aim is to get settings that keep minimum FPS above my monitor min freesync range of 48 FPS. At 4K with a 4080 this means RT on with DLSS quality and some settings at high. With CP2077 this means the full path tracing is off limits in some areas, as it dips below 48 FPS

When I enable fake frames the FPS rises to the point full path tracing is now smooth. But even with reflex set in the game options and low latency in NVCP, I get noticeable lag that is not there with it disabled. So before someone complains it’s my monitor or I need to enable reflex, this excessive lag ONLY happens with fake frames enabled.

In order to reduce latency to acceptable levels I need to reduce settings to raise the minimum FPS. So graphical settings end up being reduced until my minimum FPS is at 60-70 FPS before fake frames can be enabled. This is ironically lower settings than if I were to simply use DLSS (or FSR) and aimed for the freesync to maintain smooth and low latency gameplay.

In essence fake frames are only useful if you already have very playable FPS because that way the latency impact is not as big. This is especially noticeable if you are a mouse and keyboard player. Using a game controller helps mask the latency in my tests.

Fake frames have their uses, if you are OK with low latency in games. But if you think it means your 4070Ti, or even your 4080 is now a viable 4K monster with extreme RT settings, think again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if you’ll be able to use FSR frame gen on its own without needing to run the FSR upscaling? AMDs FG could be used with DLSS2 then I think.

Associate
I wonder if you’ll be able to use FSR frame gen on its own without needing to run the FSR upscaling? AMDs FG could be used with DLSS2 then I think.
Is AMD frame gen not supposed to be limited only to AMD 7000 and newer graphics cards.?
Anyway with Nvidia, frame gen is a separate toggle so you can use it with dlss upscaling or without (didn’t try it with FSR so not sure about that).

Last edited:
Soldato
Is AMD frame gen not supposed to be limited only to AMD 7000 and newer graphics cards.?
Anyway with Nvidia, frame gen is a separate toggle so you can use it with dlss upscaling or without (didn’t try it with FSR so not sure about that).
No don't know if AMD have changed their stance but when it was announced towards to end of last year their marketing suggested that FSR3 will work on most GPUs, including Nvidia. Maybe thats why its taken so long or maybe they've scrapped that plan to get it released...

Caporegime
Maybe thats why its taken so long or maybe they've scrapped that plan to get it released...
I can live with that as long as they utilise the AI hardware elements in the chip for a better solution. It's embarrassing for AMD that they're the only gpu manufacturer without a hardware solution now, never mind the fact that software-based XeSS 1.1 has overtaken FSR2/2.2 in terms of quality!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can live with that as long as they utilise the AI hardware elements in the chip for a better solution. It's embarrassing for AMD that they're the only gpu manufacturer without a hardware solution now, never mind the fact that software-based XeSS 1.1 has overtaken FSR2/2.2 in terms of quality!

To me DLSS 3.1 and FSR 2.2 look about the same, when i say about the same what i mean is....... i can't tell the difference, XeSS on the other-hand clearly looks different, its no where near as sharp as the other two, its a much softer image.

EMHMAQs.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

At least in CB77 you can use FG plus FSR with no issues. Actually, FSR, at 4k, tends to present a better (more stable) image in some cases with path tracing than DLSS does.

With FSR3 is up to anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mate of mine is one of these who is always complaining and screaming about fake frames and latency, the frothing at the mouth type like we see on these forums... I sat him down to do a blind A/B test in The Witcher 3.

Everything he chose that "felt horrendous and was the worst ever" was 60+ FPS gameplay without FG enabled, With FG enabled it was and I quote "really buttery smooth so it can't be fake frames <insert frothing at the mouth and screaming>"

For whatever really weird reason, Frame gen seems to have brought the loons out of the woodwork or just highlighted some peoples desperate need to go to a therapist.

In TW3 the FG does contribute to the smoothness of the gameplay as it irons out small stutters here and there.

People forget that gamers played (and still play) on consoles with 30fps (at times significant lower than that) and find it relatively fine. Not everyone is too sensitive to input lag to the point that it becomes problematic.

I'm mostly a 60hz gamer and played most of the time with v sync, ergo rather used to latency. At times FG can feel pretty much the same as native, while in others I notice a bit of lag - that's around 60fps with FG on. Input lag can depend per scene/game/card. Some will notice it, some will not. Probably a lot will be happy to game with it on if that means a smother gameplay and higher details.

Last edited:
Associate
I keep testing fake frames… er I mean frame generation in CP2077 and The Witcher 3. This is at 4K on a 4080.

My first aim is to get settings that keep minimum FPS above my monitor min freesync range of 48 FPS. At 4K with a 4080 this means RT on with DLSS quality and some settings at high. With CP2077 this means the full path tracing is off limits in some areas, as it dips below 48 FPS

When I enable fake frames the FPS rises to the point full path tracing is now smooth. But even with reflex set in the game options and low latency in NVCP, I get noticeable lag that is not there with it disabled. So before someone complains it’s my monitor or I need to enable reflex, this excessive lag ONLY happens with fake frames enabled.

In order to reduce latency to acceptable levels I need to reduce settings to raise the minimum FPS. So graphical settings end up being reduced until my minimum FPS is at 60-70 FPS before fake frames can be enabled. This is ironically lower settings than if I were to simply use DLSS (or FSR) and aimed for the freesync to maintain smooth and low latency gameplay.

In essence fake frames are only useful if you already have very playable FPS because that way the latency impact is not as big. This is especially noticeable if you are a mouse and keyboard player. Using a game controller helps mask the latency in my tests.

Fake frames have their uses, if you are OK with low latency in games. But if you think it means your 4070Ti, or even your 4080 is now a viable 4K monster with extreme RT settings, think again.
So you are basically saying that fake frames are for console playing peasants then!

Well, fake visuals was what PCMR use to say about consoles and their tricks. Now it seems PCMR opinion has turned 180° and the masters with expensive GPUs get to experience real elite fakery!

Back
Top Bottom