US: American Gods - Starts May 1st Amazon / Starz (Wheres the post?)

Soldato
Can't believe no-one has posted anything about this yet, based on the epic book by Neil Gaiman starts tomorrow and I for one can't wait!!!

Soldato
Just watched it, found it a bit hard going, they seemed to be trying to cram to much in to the 1st EP, but will be watching the next one

v0n

v0n

Soldato
They forgot to explain the premise in episode 1. It was busy, things were getting gradually weirder and weirder but none of the characters seems phased by it in the slightest, so the viewer is just expected to suspend belief and plow ahead and the pilot doesn't really give us any direction. I don't know what it is and the show doesn't introduce itself as anything. It could be anything. Another flashy pilot that falls back to detective + magic sidekick in the next round. Trippy no-answers-just-questions LSD driven comic book adaptation garbage a la Legion. Who knows. Personally for me the lead was just meh, disattached and wooden, almost backseat riding everything that happened on the screen, therefore so far I have no idea what happens on the screen and nobody to give a toss about in this show, so will give it one more chance then if it doesn't improve I'm going to shelve it.

Soldato
They forgot to explain the premise in episode 1. It was busy, things were getting gradually weirder and weirder but none of the characters seems phased by it in the slightest, so the viewer is just expected to suspend belief and plow ahead and the pilot doesn't really give us any direction. I don't know what it is and the show doesn't introduce itself as anything. It could be anything. Another flashy pilot that falls back to detective + magic sidekick in the next round.

Agree with you on this point. If I remember back to when I read the book, it does throw you in at the deep end, the first episode was very much on point with the original story.

I guess it's a fine line when adapting a book for TV series and staying true to the story. Thankfully if they do stay true to the story then it should make for a very good watch as the latter part of the story is actually quite good

Soldato
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Certainly felt the Hannibal esque visuals due to Fuller. I am quite happy uncovering the story as it goes and anything with 'Gods' etc always draw me. Looking forward to the next episode.

One point, why do people keep posting things in the US section when it is available on streaming services at the same time in the UK? :p

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I have no idea what is going on, not read the books or any reviews and all I have been told is their are new and old gods. It was a very trippy and quite bizarre if it was not for the rude scenes I would have probably switched it off. I'll give it to episode 3.

Soldato
I have absolutely zero idea what is going on nor do I know why I like it but I do :D.

Some really weird scenes in there I assume they'll make more sense as it progresses.

Soldato
The whole point is to be thrown in at the deep end, because this is what's happening to Shadow, so the viewer shares his journey to make sense of it all. The book was the same, although i don't recall it being quite as trippy as the adaptation (but I rather enjoyed the extra weirdness).

The premise will make itself clear and the plot will solidify as it goes along, but part of the fun is working out who is who and where they fit into things. It's refreshing to have a series where the plot isn't spoon fed and telegraphed. And the moments of dark humour are wonderful, but that's a trademark of Neil Gaiman's writing.

I thought the casting was pretty good for the most part, especially Ian McShane and Ricky Whittle who portrayed Shadow's empty, shell-shocked state pretty well.

The only thing I wasn't keen on was the opening music, it's way too jarring and doesn't set the right mood (unlike, for example, the opening music for Black Sails or Vikings). Thankfully the varied Americana soundtrack used throughout fits much better.

Soldato
This is bloody amazing, I have no idea what the hell is going on as i have not read the books but it is great!

I looked into it a bit and can see that it is mean't to throw you in at the beginning.

Soldato
I've always hated spoon fed American TV stories, if you are looking for the next CSI/Bones etc, this probably isn't for you.
So far so good!

Soldato
Felt like watching the Legion pilot, no idea what's happening but enjoying it so far.

Can definitely tell it's got Bryan Fuller on board with how some of the shots and graphics are.

Soldato
I can't go back to watching one episode a week on shows like this. I think I'm going to have to wait and watch it all over again when the series is finished.

Back
Top Bottom