American Truck Simulator

Last edited:
Any idea which level it will be available from ?

I'm at 9 now, will hit 10 soon, but I already drive a 379Peterbild, so similar, well sort of. ;)

Edit: O.k. found out its level 15, so just a few more to go, then I'll buy me one of those W900.. At level 10 now, going strong ;)

What? It should be available straight away? You just unlock the bigger cabs/chassis as you progress through the levels.

I'm only Level 12 but I swapped my Peterbild to a W900 last night. Love the sound - got it with an 18-speed Eaton Fuller w/ retarder. I also like that you can get a higher powered engine at the top end, up to 625hp compared to the other's 550hp.

Well, I needed to get a pimped out W900, and only had 130K. But I noticed a 3rd PB had joined the drivers fleet recently, and I wasn't going to sell my first truck - emotional attachment, like a first car. The only fair thing to do for the 3rd driver was to sell his truck (for 76K) and he got my old mildly customised truck.

205K later I got my customised W900. It's a loud beast, with more horsepower - have to pay attention to all speed limits now! 86mph is no problem with a decent load on. Parking in cockpit view is a bit more challenging, as the exhausts obstruct the view when looking out the window. Just need to find a "Smokey & Bandit" skin now.

Just witnessed my first pile up on the highway outside of Bakersfield - just barely made it around them without adding to it. Oh that and a school bus ran me off the road! Loving this game so far :D

I done most parts of the map now, so I'm back in ETS2 with pro-mods and a few others (maps). Want trips of 1500+ kms, shorty trips are no good for me. Gone back to the 'Kenworth W900B Long ARI Legacy Sleeper' mod. Fully kitted, best of everything, nice truck.

Last trip I did was a nudge over 2750kms, current trip is a tad under 3000kms, which is more the thing I like. Will go back into ATS every now and then, but more when it opens up a little and gets more variety.
Its a great game and looks marvellous. But for me, for now. Its back to ETS2 and some long hauling. :)

The W900 in ATS was o.k. not enough grunt sound though, for me.

I'm really confused. My truck keeps ending up only being able to do about 15mph no matter how hard I accelerate, yet about 10 seconds before it was fine? Then when I quit and reboot the game it's fine again? Am I being an idiot?

I'm really confused. My truck keeps ending up only being able to do about 15mph no matter how hard I accelerate, yet about 10 seconds before it was fine? Then when I quit and reboot the game it's fine again? Am I being an idiot?

Your retarder is engaged, if you have it set on auto and try to adjust your cruise control under 20mph the retarder will stick on for some reason and need to press the key to disengage it. You will see an orange light on your tacho when its engaged.

Last edited:
Your retarder is engaged, if you have it set on auto and try to adjust your cruise control under 20mph the retarder will stick on for some reason and need to press the key to disengage it. You will see an orange light on your tacho when its engaged.

Aha, thank you, I did notice an orange light but couldn't figure out what it was. :o

I've gone quite heavy on the loans initially, but have myself three trucks and two other drivers slowly paying them back. I'm on level 9 now and my drivers are on level 1.8 - netting about $1600 a day.

Last night was fun, I managed to get a 'Driving on the wrong side of the road' offence, something like $260 :D

Also, I was pushing the limit last night with driving whilst tired. I was free roaming and had to catch a job a good 400 miles away, but had no time to rest. Hilarious when the **You are Dozing** black screen appears. I had to roll the dice on this about 12 times.. thankfully only minor damage occurred.

Last night was fun, I managed to get a 'Driving on the wrong side of the road' offence, something like $260 :D

Haven't encountered that one yet. Picked up a Logitech G920 and am slowly getting used to driving properly rather than by keyboard. Up to level 20 now, with 5 employees and a $400k loan. Cash is really starting to roll now. might be time to get myself that Kenworth W900 soon. Waiting for an Edtracker kit to be delivered soon. My trackIR has long been consigned to the bin of broken bits and FacetracknoIR isn't really stable enough. Especially as I'm prone to touching my face quite a bit which sends it squirrely as I've recently found out ... (TMI I know!)

ATS

33013_ats_00050.jpg

VS pic i made when i was around there:

33013_100_3401.jpg

Just a tip for anyone getting a wheel. The Logitech G920 has buttons on the wheel, but not on the shifter, which makes using toggles for range changing and splitting very awkward. You can be half way through a turn, wanting to use a toggle and obviously you have no idea where the button is if you map it to the wheel. Other wheels like the G27 have buttons on the shifter which is a much better solution. Fortunately I have a Nostromo next to the shifter, and Ive mapped the toggles onto that instead. I might figure out some way of putting buttons onto the shifter in future.

I also bought the W900 last night, and it is a beast to drive in the Long chassis version. Couple it with short trailers at your peril ....

Last edited:
Got myself a Thrustmaster T150 on Thursday, makes the game much more emersive for me.

Sadly my parking has gone to **** with a wheel lol and I think I've spent more time messing around with the key binds than actually driving but I've sorted them now!

Time to rack up that money!

So, I built an Ed tracker to work with this and it's turned into a right headache. The soldering and construction went fine. The firmware flashing and calibration went fine. Opentrack CTD'd every time I tried to start it. Managed to configure ATS manually to work without opentrack, and that worked. However, the control and sensitivity options within Edtracker aren't up to much, so I decided to have another play with Opentrack. All of a sudden it's just stopped working. Re-installed Edtracker, and it won't play ball. The Arduino is detected, but I just can't get it to connect anymore. Think I'll give up on this.....

What's an ed tracker when it's at home..?

Edtracker

A simple piece of hardware that uses a gyroscope and magnetometer to give 3 axis tracking of your head. No camera or IR LED's required. When it was working it was quite good. I've had TrackIR before which is expensive and flimsy. It broke inside a year. Mind you if the EDtracker hardware only lasts a day .....

Back
Top Bottom