1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amex/american express

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theone8181, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Marvt74

Capodecina

Upgrade to the Amex Platinum card then, thats metal :D

I was trying to work out a man logic process to make it work but there's no chance it makes sense on my current level of spending!

2. Kenai

Capodecina

Never had mine declined either between filling at Tesco / Sainsburys and Costco, always use pay at pump.

3. Bluecube

Wise Guy

I think I spend about £40 a month on personal expenses. I don’t think I could make it work for me!

4. Marvt74

Capodecina

One thing that confused me this morning. I was listening to a podcast where the guy mentioned paying a plumber by bank transfer using his Amex for airmiles.

From memory there's a cash advance fee of 3%, surely that's a stupid thing to do given that the fee far outweighs the benefits of any rewards.

5. FerretBoy

Mobster

You can get more than 3% but probably only if the spend is part of getting the 2-4-1 voucher or reaching an introductory offer and those avois are used efficiently in combination with the 2-4-1 voucher.

6. Marvt74

Capodecina

Feel like i'm going to do everyones head in soon :p

Is there anyway to find out how many Avios you'll earn when clicking through their links?

On TCB is clearly breaks down any cashback by deal. So

X for a phone contract over £40,
    Y for a phone contract under £40,
    Z for a SIMO deal
    etc

On Avios it just says "Up to 7000 Avios"

I'd like to know which is actually the better deal!

7. Marvt74

Capodecina

I'm back with more questions :p

1 - Has anyone experienced their AMEX not working on contactless but it's fine when inserting the card? What's the reason for that as i don't understand it. It happened in Morrisons to me yesterday and same at the airport last week.

2 - Am i missing something with Amex Travel? Was looking for flights the other day and they're more expensive for KLM flights than the likes of Skyscanner/Expedia and KLM direct.

8. Rossi~

Capodecina

Yes. It's a mild annoyance.

9. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

1 - No, as I always pay with Amex in Morrisons (with my phone).

2 - Amex Travel is probably the most expensive way to buy…I am not saying it can’t be cheap but whenever I look up prices on it to compare, it is always the highest by some margin. I tend to ignore it.

10. Marvt74

Capodecina

Weird, maybe it's certain terminals. I had it in TK Maxx too. I often use Apple Pay and don't carry the physical card so it was really annoying on that particular day!

Fair enough, i've found that too. Wasn't sure if there was any way to make it more competitive but seems not.

11. Glanza

Sgarrista

I use AMEX for my daily CC and have it linked to Paypal for sites that don't accept AMEX directly, for the few places that don't accept it I use a 'backup' CC that still gives me cashback.

12. Bluecube

Wise Guy

I’ve had my Amex declined both via Apple Pay and contactless. I was told that Amex have implemented further security which messes up such payments. Card was accepted on insertion to the machines though.

13. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I think there are certain perks if you book your holiday through Amex travel, I forgot now, it may be 3x more points for that spend or something, but the extra cost is never worth those points.

14. Glanza

Sgarrista

That may not be a AMEX issue but in general all banks now have enabled more checks for contactless payments, you get up to 5 transactions or a spending cap before you need to use your pin to 're authenticate'

15. Rotty

Don

1 yes mine does that at Asda

2 I've never found Amex travel competitive

16. SPG

Soldato

As above

17. Liquidfox

Mobster

There's a special place in hell for your kind, right next to the people that talk in cinemas!

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I don't talk or eat or drink in cinemas :p

One reason I am not getting an Apple watch is that I would be annoyed if i raise my wrist and it lights up in the dark.

19. Marvt74

Capodecina

That's what Theatre Mode is for

Well, that and long sleeves :p

20. theone8181

Mobster

Thats exactly where mine has issues, a santander card is fine via contactless though. I wasn't sure if asde need to pay extra for amex contactless?