AMG GT R - Der Tag

Caporegime
When I did get the car done last week I was able to have a proper good look under the car, which was helpful. Car looked mucky and salty but in good shape outside some oil making around the sump bolt, I suspect due to the dealer overfilling it and me telling them to take it out. I will be picking that up next time I speak to them…

When I did my Scotland road trip I did have a MASSIVE crunch when the bottom of the car hit a rock/rise when we had to navigate a small lane. It was a real WTF moment for me and my mate in the passenger side as the noise was horrific so good to see nothing obvious under the car.

I've caught my undertray on a lump on an unpaved road at 2mph and it sounded like the whole front end fell off. Haven't found any damage and there's no puddle of coolant/oil so I guess I'm okay. The only worse noise is the sound of a freshly refurbed alloy kissing a kerbstone.

Man of Honour
OP
This is unquestionably the best car I have owned. It is also the fastest and the one with the most road presence, measured by the reaction of other road users and supercar owners too. One of two don't understand it or get it usually because they have been in an AMG GT and been unimpressed by its abilities. One of the gents who joined the road trip was of that mindset and I blew his mind when I took him out in mine as I did with his young son.

The front end on this car is incredible and when the cups are performing as they were in Wales, it just puts all that power down effortlessly and goes like stink. My fried in the RS was amazed how it just vanished from him in most road situations as I didn't have to worry about getting it into the power range to the same extent he did. Love this car, proper beast and full of character like all the best cars.

For 100K, nothing comes close in my eyes.

Man of Honour
OP
That Porsche looks incredible in that last picture, couldn't quite make it out on the other photos you posted.

The GTR is still the best looking car i've seen as far as i'm concerned. Just absolute perfection.
Yea the Porsche is gorgeous and owner just took delivery of it. Still a fantastic road car and so well suited for this sort of thing but also tiring and noisy. Owner lived in Kent so came a long way and quite tiring where as my Merc has the ability to waft and just go all quiet in comfort mode. The BIGGEST issue with the GT3 RS, like my old GT3 is no cruise control. On a long M4 run end to end you want cruise.

Soldato
Great pics! Out of interest did you test drive the GT S at all? Any thoughts on it? Obviously, it is a considerable step to up to the -R but just spent a little bit of time in one (possible replacement to a W204 C63) and I must admit I didn't get that sense of occasion from it. Admittedly it was a wet day so couldn't use it to anywhere near its potential but it didn't feel special enough to be second/weekend toy. Will try to get some more time in one another day soon hopefully.

Soldato
Great pics! Out of interest did you test drive the GT S at all? Any thoughts on it? Obviously, it is a considerable step to up to the -R but just spent a little bit of time in one (possible replacement to a W204 C63) and I must admit I didn't get that sense of occasion from it. Admittedly it was a wet day so couldn't use it to anywhere near its potential but it didn't feel special enough to be second/weekend toy. Will try to get some more time in one another day soon hopefully.

Interestingly I drove a AMG GTC back when I had a W204 C63 and it didn't tickle my biscuit either. For me it was the driving positon & super long bonnet. It's hard to give up that n/a 6.2 though, even though I now beleive the 4.0 bi turbo to be a much better engine overall.

Man of Honour
OP
All the other GT models are worlds apart, completely different dynamics on many levels. The GTR is a GT3 homologation to all intents and purposes.

I feel lots of people have driven a GT C or S and reference that as “oh I’ve driven one” when they really have no idea what the GTR feels like. It is very very different.

Associate
It's probably my favourite car

Yeah it's is actually amazing. It's one of very few cars that look good from every angle.

Very rare too. I've seen more Ferrari's than I have these on the road.

Cheers. Drives ace too.

You must get an enormous amount of attention when you drive this no?

Out of interest (you may have mentioned it already but I've not read the whole thread) what performance car did you have prior to this one? And how do they compare?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I had an R8 V10 Plus gen 1. This is far more special and much more sharp and exciting but the R8 was a great car too. Different approaches.

Back
Top Bottom