Amiga forever?

Soldato
I had two C64, the original light brown with dark brown keys in a rounded case and the later version in lighter colour wedge shaped, really regret chucking the older unit out with the Commodore composite monitor :( kept the wedge version though.

Soldato
You didn't buy an Amiga for it's arcade conversions (that's what a Neo Geo was for), you bought it for original classics like Lemmings, Worms, Cannon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Alien Breed, The Secret of Monkey Island, Sensible Soccer, Speedball 2, Turrican II, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker, IK+, Stardust, It Came from the Desert, Moonstone, Super Cars 2, Syndicate, Gods, Hunter, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Zeewolf, Eye of the Beholder, Xenon 2, Shadow of the Beast, Midwinter, Pinball Fantasies, North and South, Sim City, Wings, Frontier: Eilite II, Stunt Car Racer, Flashback, Populous, F/A-18 Interceptor, Battle Ilse, S.W.I.V, Lure Of the Temptress and of course Defender of the Crown. Nearly all of these launched on the Amiga first and most of them are genre defining.

Username to post content checks out.

I played 90% of those games and they were all superb. Lure Of the Temptress was the first game I bought for my Amiga 500 and Monkey Island 1&2 soon after. But SF2 was absolutely huge and finding a way of playing it at home was an imperative at the time. Neo Geos were a mythical console only seen in magazine reviews to someone on pocket money.

Soldato
Plus or premium?. Has any one bought Amiga forever plus or premium?. Premium sounds better but is it worth it and do games work right what are included?. Could i put the OS on a raspberry pie too?.
Only difference between the two that i understand is premium includes a load of videos. I went with plus. Neither of them come with many decent games, BTW.

Soldato
Stunt Car Racer

All those games good but this game has never been beaten. A sequel was about to be made on modern PC but the company went broke so the rights are tied up somewhere I think. The guy who made these was a physicist who learnt to program

You can run this game on a PC in a dosbox. North & South is one of the most unique games I've played. I completed the whole of Battle Isle, the computer turns at the end game take the best part of a day to process due to AI struggling on a 1980's cpu.

I dug my old Amiga out the loft in 2005 or so. It sold to some chappie in euroland for a hundred or so, I packed the hardware with hundreds of floppy disks around it shipped across the channel like a viking funeral :p
In 12 years it had lost about 70 quid in value

I have a C64 set up in the spare room as well. And a Vic20!

Vic20 was my first ever computer. ctrl break and edit in your own keys preference or even your name to the scoreboard :p
The c64 was way better though

Last edited:
Caporegime
I remember once Christmas some mail order catalog company (IIRC it was Watford Electronics) had screwed up and not sent a boxed set of Amiga games my dad had ordered (bitmap brothers pack or some description)... was magic pockets, chaos engine, speed ball 2 and one other which I can't remember.... never did get the games, he chased it up with them on the phone then it got forgotten about. (Eventually borrowed some of them from a friend and definitely didn't copy them)

Permabanned
Really enjoyed wings... They remade it for PC about 4 years ago. Plays pretty well. I think my all time favourite game on amiga was the original Dune. Great art style and really felt like you were part of the story. Dune 2 also great although a different genre entirely.

Associate
The Amiga with, dare I say, Xcopy was great in the schoolyard, exchanging games and almost collecting them as you had too many to play. Some of the mega demos/animations at the start were more impressive than the game. But, yeah, I can remember enjoying Moonstone, pretty much any Bitmap brothers or Sensible Software game, Frontier Elite 2, Pitates, Dynablaster etc.

Caporegime
demo disks were pretty cool sometimes... I remember getting one containing a special crossover version of cannon fodder and sensible soccer - "Cannon Soccer"... it only had two levels but was quite cool... IIRC the goal keeper on the first level had a rocket launcher

Man of Honour
The rave demo things were good, Jesus on E and Bud Brain come to mind. Probably best not linking to them on youtube here directly :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

The rave demo things were good, Jesus on E and Bud Brain come to mind. Probably best not linking to them on youtube here directly :p

State of the Art by Spaceballs :)

Really gets going at 0:38

Man of Honour
Used to love those demos back in the day - though I was more a RISC OS user than Amiga. Some of them managed incredible graphics for the hardware.

I remember once Christmas some mail order catalog company (IIRC it was Watford Electronics) had screwed up and not sent a boxed set of Amiga games my dad had ordered (bitmap brothers pack or some description)... was magic pockets, chaos engine, speed ball 2 and one other which I can't remember.... never did get the games, he chased it up with them on the phone then it got forgotten about. (Eventually borrowed some of them from a friend and definitely didn't copy them)

Watford Electronics went to **** there was a time where pretty much no one got their goods from them despite some being mailed out and then they were acquired or something and the new company promised to sort it out but nothing ever materialised. In the end I managed to get my £30 or whatever refunded via the bank for some reason (I probably wasn't alone in complaining) even though they don't normally do chargebacks, etc. for those kind of amounts.

Dunno what happened really they used to be good and just kind of collapsed overnight and eventually kind of limped into the Savastore acquisition which is kind of what pushed me towards OcUK actually.

Last edited:
Associate
Probably a long shot, but does anyone remember an Amiga demo scene clip that showed a Mayan type temple that had a base that looked like a boat that headed into space after a fire was seen spreading across the planet, along the lines of Terminator film where the nukes go off with Sarah Connor grasping onto wire fence?

Fairly sure it came in both 68k & PPC versions.

Been trying to find that for ages but no luck :/

Man of Honour
Was it a demo by TXP? they did a lot of Mayan, etc. stuff though not sure how active on the Amiga front.

Caporegime
Hired Guns.

That was always one I look at through rose-tinted specs. Never got very far as it was too hard for my child brain. Looking at a walkthrough on YouTube, it would probably still beat me today. :p

My favourite was Driller featuring Freescape. Spent many moons playing that over and over again with its sequel, Dark Side.

Caporegime
here is the Cannon Soccer mashup game mentioned earlier (it came with an Amiga Format Christmas special - have still got the disk somewhere)

Soldato
I had that issue with the Cannon Soccer demo, was good fun but indeed short lived.

I was watching some videos of James Pond Robocod earlier and the colour palette isn't half garish. Sad to say it made me a bit queasy whereas I played for hours as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom