• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ampere owners - do you own a FE/reference or AIB model?

Ampere owners, do you own an FE or AIB Model?

• FE

Votes: 156 67.8%
  • AIB

Votes: 74 32.2%

• Total voters
Associate
I did not expect that result. The FEs are good, but the AIBs are mostly better.

Does this reflect Nvidia direct selling more GPUs this cycle, or is 2/3 being FE normal?

Soldato
All that was available when the urge to buy hit! Both cards have been faultless.

Gigabyte 3070 Eagle (I paid £610 just after release)
Zotac Gaming 3090 (I paid £1300 Nov 2020)

Associate
yeah I think theres a lot of them that whine but I dare tempt fate to send it back for RMA, it works and its manageable

I went down the RMA route for my 3090fe. The process itself was flawless. nVidia approved the RMA within hours, just based off a video they requested.
The replacement card was new-sealed in retail box.
Sadly it still has coil-whine, but a bit less.

So yea... sadly it seems the odds of getting a whine-free FE card is very low. At least from my own experience and the general posts about it. Seems some people get very lcuky... but most seem to have whine.

Further... seems lots of the AIBs do too this gen. I always wanted to get a Suprim X, but never managed to snag one, as I have seen fewer reports of those whine-ing. But the cost of them over the FEs now is insane... so I UV my card and its 'manageble'

Soldato
I went down the RMA route for my 3090fe. The process itself was flawless. nVidia approved the RMA within hours, just based off a video they requested.
The replacement card was new-sealed in retail box.
Sadly it still has coil-whine, but a bit less.

So yea... sadly it seems the odds of getting a whine-free FE card is very low. At least from my own experience and the general posts about it. Seems some people get very lcuky... but most seem to have whine.

Further... seems lots of the AIBs do too this gen. I always wanted to get a Suprim X, but never managed to snag one, as I have seen fewer reports of those whine-ing. But the cost of them over the FEs now is insane... so I UV my card and its 'manageble'

Coil whine seems like the same situation as people that like sprouts or not, some gene that determines it, must be the same with the whine, doesn't bother me, and I love sporuts.

Soldato
Coil whine seems like the same situation as people that like sprouts or not, some gene that determines it, must be the same with the whine, doesn't bother me, and I love sporuts.

it bothered me when I could hear it over even when the fans kicked it, just annoying pitch which isnt consistent luckily with replacement the coil whine gets drowned out when the fans kick in i can settle for that

yeah mostly use headset but doesnt mean I should have to have it when its lottery and im paying the same to someone else who may not have it

Soldato
Looking at the result of the poll NVidia selling FE direct seem to have nearly 2/3 of the market.

The question is are NVidia limiting the supply to AIB partners/retailers or is there something else shady going on in the supply chain.

Are AIB partners sending their cards in bulk direct to the big miners?

AIB's might be favouring America, apparently over there, FE is much rarer than the UK.

Soldato
Looking at the result of the poll NVidia selling FE direct seem to have nearly 2/3 of the market.

The question is are NVidia limiting the supply to AIB partners/retailers or is there something else shady going on in the supply chain.

Are AIB partners sending their cards in bulk direct to the big miners?

I could be that its this place thats skewing results I'd like to see a poll of the general public regulars here are more likely to be clued up on whats a good deal and how to get one. And I'd say the reason here is down to price with a 3080 FE roughly half the price of an AIB I'd say budget is the principal reason

PSU issue in my experience only ever had it once on a GTX 1080 that howled like a banshee but not seen or heard it since and not on my 3xxx FE card either. That PSU is long since dead and buried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom