• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ampere owners - do you own a FE/reference or AIB model?

Ampere owners, do you own an FE or AIB Model?

• FE

Votes: 156 67.8%
  • AIB

Votes: 74 32.2%

• Total voters
Associate
"Whilst it is possible to buy a FE, due to how quickly they go out of stock, it is very hard to get one, not impossible, however, you will have a better chance of buying an overpriced AIB compared to FE"

A mostly accurate statement.

A given AIB card may or may not be overpriced compared to an FE card, depending on what value an individual may place on the features that the AIB card provides in contrast to the FE card - e.g. cooler, power, even RGB. But availability is also one of those features - if an individual needs a card now (for whatever reason - that's their choice), then the price of the FE card is completely irrelevant (i.e. "fake") because they can't buy one right now[1].

Maybe create a thread for rdna 2 to see just how many people in the UK managed to get "MBA" for MSRP, I would certainly be interested in seeing them figures :)

Alert! Goalposts moved! You didn't mention specifically getting an MBA card for MSRP. I'll quote your statement again:

No doubting if you wanted to buy a FE, you would have had to sign up to telegram etc. same way you also had to do the same for rdna 2 and even consoles last year.

No mention of MBA or MSRP in that blanket statement. That statement - that you had to sign up for alerts to get an rdna 2 card is just as false as the statements to which you are objecting.

Again, read this:
If people chose to pay AIB prices or/and not hold out for nvidia FE, that is their choice.

To use your words back at you.
Again you are missing the point:
if you want to make a sound price comparison you need to compare products that are similarly available to you to buy. That means AIB to AIB. Not AIB to FE and likely not MBA to FE either. Not until FE cards and MBA cards are properly in stock.

You can't reasonably claim an AIB AMD card is automatically poor value against the price of an FE card if you could get the AMD card tomorrow, but might not get lucky with the FE card for months. That is imposing your own value-judgement on availability onto others.

[1] Well unless a 3090Ti meets their other requirements, because that's the only FE card that you can actually buy at the time of writing this.

Associate
Results won't suddenly change over night, as said, this thread is in reference to comments made in rdna 3 thread, I am curious to see if FE will take of now though or if AIB will since their prices have crashed. I don't think there has been much of an improvement in the FE availability situation for ampere but could be wrong on that.

The 3090ti FE has been available straight off the uk distributers website for a while now. I bought a 3090FE just after the christmas that they launched and they were staying in stock for most of a day, saw a post here that they were in stock. Not a great card, lots of whine and fan noise, ended up water cooling it.

Soldato
At the time i got my FE, they were definitely easier to get than AIB models, not just cheaper.

The problem with the AIB models, the retailers didnt seem to be placing any order restrictions, so the miners and scalpers could snap them up easier. Whilst Nvidias restrictions arent perfect I believe they had some effectiveness. Whenever I got a AIB alert, if I clicked right away, it wasnt listed or out of stock, on the FE notices, the first one I missed out but I did see was in stock briefly which never ever happened on AIB, the second I managed to snag one.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a 3060 Ti FE, 3070 FE and now 3090 FE they're an incredible card, beautifully designed, the aesthetics, temps noise are brilliant in my opinion. I belive the 3070 Ti/3080 FE weren't as good but yea.. I love my 3090 FE

Back
Top Bottom