An Idiot Abroad 2

Soldato
I'm really struggling with this series, it's without a doubt far more scripted than the previous series (appeared to be at least). I did think tonights episode was the best one so far but I just can't picture last years Karl getting done up like a ladyboy like he was tonight, likewise the wrestling last week and the blindfolded Thai fighting tonight.

So far I've almost be forcing myself to laugh at parts of the show just so I don't sit through it in utter silence :/

He done wrestling in series 1 as well :)

Associate
I think this episode ended before it started getting good. Spent far to much time in Thailand, snake city was rather pointless and monkey city was not nearly as good as I expected it to be considering how much he loves Monkeys.

Also, I would have preferred Karl to swim with Dolphins then Sharks as he can actually interact with a Dolphin rather then being stuck in a cage :(

Still its rather a good program to watch with some funny lines here and there. Still listen to their XFM show on YT courtesy of Telepop123 on the weekends, I do prefer when the lads are all together. Will keep watching though :)

Soldato
I think this episode ended before it started getting good. Spent far to much time in Thailand, snake city was rather pointless and monkey city was not nearly as good as I expected it to be considering how much he loves Monkeys.

Also, I would have preferred Karl to swim with Dolphins then Sharks as he can actually interact with a Dolphin rather then being stuck in a cage :(

Still its rather a good program to watch with some funny lines here and there. Still listen to their XFM show on YT courtesy of Telepop123 on the weekends, I do prefer when the lads are all together. Will keep watching though :)

Yeah, there really wasn't much focus on the task he had been sent to do.

Also, the whole fighting/boxing/wrestling thing is getting boring now. We've seen him do fighting in three episodes now.

Caporegime
this whole show is basicly a clone of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_Sick

but travel sick was better..
Travel Sick was a British hybrid comedy-travel television series that originally aired on Bravo from 2001 to 2002. It placed UK writer Grub Smith in a different region of the world in each episode. In each destination, he was asked to complete five undesirable challenges posed by the show's producers. If he failed a challenge, he was forced to perform something unpleasant called a "forfeit". The more he failed, the worse the "forfeit" at the end of the show became.

Soldato
I still enjoy this show but I do find their Podcasts funnier.

I also find myself agreeing with most of Karls comments to be fair.
And I have to say, if there was only 1 thing in the world I would NEVER do is get in a cage with a shark, especially not one like that. I wouldn't have even got on the damn boat...it's pretty much one of the only things I fear.

My partner wants to do it...so I said she'll have to go out by herself and i'll stay in the hotel that day or just go into town. lol. Not a chance!

Associate
My favourite quote from this season has to be when hes on the phone to ricky and karl's like "i've got a wet nose and cold ears" and ricky says back " you sound like a ****ing labrador" had me in stiches xDD

Soldato
The Thailand one was amusing the blind boxing had me in stitches.

Also the land jumping thing when Ricky said "So if you had fallen over and hit your head, you would have fallen further" loool

Associate
Watched the Route 66 episode earlier and it was one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen. The Glee musical bit with him trying to do Van Halen - "Go on have a jump!" LOL. He truly is the savior of all mankind.

Associate
I think Series 1 was definitely better than Series 2. I can't help but think so much of it is staged... Really can't watch it without thinking it! Gutted :(

Man of Honour
I think Series 1 was definitely better than Series 2. I can't help but think so much of it is staged... Really can't watch it without thinking it! Gutted :(

But it's still brilliant.
Did you actually think being a Merchant/Gervais production it wasn't going to be staged?
Pilkington is undoubtedly their best character (this doesn't mean that Pilkington hasn't got strange ideas, just that they have honed them).
It's hard to see where else they can go with him and Gervais always said that you don't do more than 2 series of anything (Office UK and Extras).

Soldato
While I think it's still funny I don't think it's as good as series 1 and now the "set-ups" are so blindingly obvious I don't find them that good.

Soldato
But it's still brilliant.
Did you actually think being a Merchant/Gervais production it wasn't going to be staged?
Pilkington is undoubtedly their best character (this doesn't mean that Pilkington hasn't got strange ideas, just that they have honed them).
It's hard to see where else they can go with him and Gervais always said that you don't do more than 2 series of anything (Office UK and Extras).

He isn't a character written by them though.
He is just like that, if you don't believe it, go back and listen to their XFM show when he was just a Producer in the background.

I'm not doubting for a second that they haven't decided in advance what is going to happen though.

This isn't a drama like Gervais and Merchant's other shows, so I believe it will continue because it's doing well for Sky, who really don't produce much content of their own as it is. It also requires very little work from Gervais and Merchant, yet keeps a pay cheque coming in for their mate Karl.

Man of Honour
He isn't a character written by them though.
He is just like that, if you don't believe it, go back and listen to their XFM show when he was just a Producer in the background.

I did say that in the post you quoted.
He has strange ideas and they latched onto them and honed them.
Sometimes in the XFM shows you can hear when he is actually being very clever with some of the things he says where a lot of people will just laugh.
My daughters have now caught on with the new series because they wouldn't have it when I said things were staged in series 1 but now they see it in series 2.
A year ago I had people on these boards calling me stupid and an idiot for saying that I thought Pilkington was actually a clever man but it honestly now seems that a lot of people are catching on.

Back
Top Bottom