And Lewis Hamilton wins his 5th Championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
And vettel done the same mistake on the same kind of corner at that race.

Yes. It's weird. Vettel in his Toro Rosso days had a deserved reputation as a rain master. I remember commentators Talking about how he was so good because in his karting days his parents couldn't afford wet tyres so he had to race on slicks.

But, since then, Vettel has repeatedly crumbled and made costly mistakes in slippery conditions.

I wonder what happened?

Soldato
Yes. It's weird. Vettel in his Toro Rosso days had a deserved reputation as a rain master. I remember commentators Talking about how he was so good because in his karting days his parents couldn't afford wet tyres so he had to race on slicks.

But, since then, Vettel has repeatedly crumbled and made costly mistakes in slippery conditions.

I wonder what happened?

I wonder if Ferrari was giving vettel Hamilton's lap times?

Also, When vettel was at Toro Rosso. He ran in to the back of RB Webber in the rain. And he cried again :D

Permabanned
No, it was by Jenson Button. Although Hamilton was actually much faster than him until they collided in confusion as Button tried to let him past.

(Not that Seb's Italian GP 2008 win wasn't a stunning drive)

The best wet weather drive of the past 10 years was Hamilton in Silverstone 2008 where he lapped nearly the entire field and finished 1 minute and 9 seconds ahead of second place. It was one of the most dominant wet weather displays in modern F1 history.

Sebs Monza win whilst great is overrated by casuals who have forgotten (or more likely never watched) the race and the exceptional circumstances that enabled him to win in a Torro Rosso.

He did not transcend the Torro Rosso that race. He started at the front because of freak weather in Q2 which resulted in lots of top drivers starting near the middle/back. It should also be mentioned that the Torro Rosso that year was a decent car, it used a Ferrari engine and read end and had the same chassis as the Red Bull. They ended up finishing ahead of Red Bull in the constructors from what I remember and this resulted in Red Bull forcing Torro Rosso to be responsible for more of their own development... which has of course resulted in their competitiveness dropping since that peak.

That's not to say it wasn't a good drive by Vettel, it was a very good drive but the win was only possible due to a specific set of circumstances, some of which I've not even mentioned.

Button in 2012 at Canada is also overhyped as a drive, he was slow as hell for most of the race, wrecked Alonso with a clumsy move, damaged his car again later in the race and basically lucked out on pitting at the right time which enabled him to be on the perfect compound at the perfect moment. One of the most sensational results but it wasn't a particularly great drive, too many errors.

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't win by luck by qualifying on pole and dominating the race.

He was brilliant at Interlagos in the rain that year too (remember him overtaking Hamilton and his move was keeping Hamilton away from the championship, before Glock's tyre gave up on the last lap - Hamilton couldn't get near Vettel).

Luck was Hamilton's win at Monaco that year, where he crashed into the wall, got a puncture, and the timing of the forced pit-stop meant he was always on the best tyres (so he got fresh inters which gradually turned to slicks as the track dried - others had to pit for inters (which cooked as they still had the tread blocks) and dry tyres). Hamilton drove well that day, crash aside, but it wasn't up there with Silverstone or Monza.

Don't you mean Button?
OK, one of the best wet weather wins in the last decade then. Though Button, as good as his drive was, did crash into and end the race of two cars (Hamilton and Alonso), which did taint it a little. Still one of, if not the best drive despite that of course.

Also, When vettel was at Toro Rosso. He ran in to the back of RB Webber in the rain. And he cried again :D
Caused by Hamilton speeding up and slowing down constantly under the safety car, which is why that's banned.

Permabanned
Vettels decent in rain but he's not standout impressive, same goes for Alonso... neither are known for being wet weather dons, Alonso even admits one of his weaknesses is the rain.

Button developed a rep for being decent in changeable conditions but was never that impressive in full wet conditions.

Hamilton time and time again has shown himself to be the best in the field when it comes to proper wet weather racing. Verstappen looks decent as well but in truth he's only ever competed in one proper wet race so im reluctant to fully jump on that bandwagon yet.

Permabanned
It was caused by vettel being to close to Webber in the rain. No one else's fault. .

Hamilton definitely played a roll in it, ultimately though it was just an unfortunate incident in hellish conditions. Webber actually spoke a bit about the incident on the most recent official F1 podcast and said it was partly caused by Hamilton stopping and starting erratically.

Soldato
Button in 2012 at Canada is also overhyped as a drive, he was slow as hell for most of the race, wrecked Alonso with a clumsy move, damaged his car again later in the race and basically lucked out on pitting at the right time which enabled him to be on the perfect compound at the perfect moment. One of the most sensational results but it wasn't a particularly great drive, too many errors.

Yeah, I'll give you that. But he was absolutely awesome in 2011 :) :p

Sgarrista
Commissario
The best wet weather drive of the past 10 years was Hamilton in Silverstone 2008 where he lapped nearly the entire field and finished 1 minute and 9 seconds ahead of second place. It was one of the most dominant wet weather displays in modern F1 history.

I agree, this is one of the races which absolutely sticks out in my mind.

Man of Honour

Would have to agree. He was in a different league on that day.

That said, he can be his own worst enemy. Bashing the Sky commentary team probably isn’t the best idea.

I can’t see him winning this year. Some fantastic drives, but it feels like the year when rosberg won.

Soldato
OP
In that 2008 video, you hear the names of so many drivers we never hear of anymore, like Timo Glock, Adrian Sutil, Nick Heidfeld, Heikki Kovalainen, Robert Kubica. Although I seem to remember Kubica sat in for a drive recently with Williams?

This is a great lap by Lewis around one of my favourite circuits, Suzuka. Lots of twists and turns and heavy g-force. As much as the sound of the whining engines of the past were exciting, I do like the throaty sound of the current cars. Although it does sometimes sound like a moped on steroids. :D

I can't imagine what it must feel like to be fearless and flat out at 310kph at 130R, the sense of exhilaration must be off the chart. I had enough trouble with it in the F1 2011 game, let alone doing it for real, lol. And I suppose it must be similar excitement at Eau Rouge and 325kph at that left kink at Blanchimont at Spa.

Soldato
I can't imagine what it must feel like to be fearless and flat out at 310kph at 130R, the sense of exhilaration must be off the chart. I had enough trouble with it in the F1 2011 game, let alone doing it for real, lol. And I suppose it must be similar excitement at Eau Rouge and 325kph at that left kink at Blanchimont at Spa.

LOL, 130R is a piece of cake now! It was modified from it's fearsome nature back in 2003 I think it was. Before that it was a much more demanding corner (ask Allan McNish).

Blancimont too is an easy corner now in the dry.

Eau Rouge is still a challenge in the right conditions, but even it has lost a bit of it's magic since the late 90s and early 2000s.

Caporegime
And far superior aero now.

Three or four times the amount of grip compared to 20 years ago means faster cornering everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom