And Lewis Hamilton wins his 5th Championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Vettel went from a high possibility P1/2 to a P3/4/5 in the space of 2 races.

Either the Merc or RB pulled out something special or Ferrari went backwards. Or both.

Either way, his season imploded at the exact wrong moment and he never recovered.

Caporegime
Either the Merc or RB pulled out something special or Ferrari went backwards. Or both.

Neither. Look at Kimi, he scored 116 pts in the first 10 races, and 135 in the next 11. A very similar pace. Or look at Bottas: 106 vs 141. Again: similar.

It wasn't the cars that shifted, it was the drivers: Max stopped driving into other drivers so much and Vettel started.

Soldato
I never said you did.
You implied it by needlessly rushing to Vettels defence as if my original statement somehow attacked him. As @CaptainRAVE said, the RB in 2013 was in a class of its own. Vettels only competition then was a past-it Webber who'd pretty much checked out.

The Mercedes this year was nowhere near as dominant. They had to contend with Vettel, assuming he'd bothered to show up that weekend, and the Red Bulls when the circuit suited them.

Associate
You implied it by needlessly rushing to Vettels defence as if my original statement somehow attacked him. As @CaptainRAVE said, the RB in 2013 was in a class of its own. Vettels only competition then was a past-it Webber who'd pretty much checked out.

The Mercedes this year was nowhere near as dominant. They had to contend with Vettel, assuming he'd bothered to show up that weekend, and the Red Bulls when the circuit suited them.

Big fan of Vettel, but i'm starting to agree with this. Bottas is also showing how good Rosberg was too.

Also Vettel had a bad final year with RB didn't he?

Soldato
Nah, he was just thoroughly out-classed.
He wasn't great, but it was purely bad luck he finished behind Ricciardo. He was shafted by the team in Montreal (otherwise he would have won) and he was miles ahead of Ricciardo in Hungary when the safety car came out just after he'd passed the pits - Ricciardo was able to pit in time and as a result won the race.

He'd been tapped up by Ferrari for most of the season, so I guess both he and Red Bull knew he was almost certainly off long before it was confirmed. Even in pre-season he wasn't on it - he was arriving just before driving and leaving immediately after to be with his new-born baby (born just before pre-season). His priorities had changed.

Caporegime
He wasn't great, but it was purely bad luck he finished behind Ricciardo. He was shafted by the team in Montreal (otherwise he would have won) and he was miles ahead of Ricciardo in Hungary when the safety car came out just after he'd passed the pits - Ricciardo was able to pit in time and as a result won the race.

Ricciardo took three wins; Vettel took none. That's the bottom line and, yes, Seb had some bad luck but so did Daniel; that's F1. Either way, it was obvious to anyone watching that Ricciardo was simply driving better than Vettel throughout the season, and the result reflected that.

Permabanned
Soldato
Ferrari would likely have won with Lewis Hamilton. Or Verstappen, who has shown good qualifying speed and then a great ability to control a race once at the front. Or Alonso, who drove the wheels off the McLaren. Or Ricciardo, who had sub-par year due to car issues but still performed reasonably well himself.

But all these drivers would still need to overcome the shortcomings of the Ferrari trackside operational management, which didn't exactly cover itself in glory all season.

I just hope that this doesn't go down as the season Hamilton and Mercedes won the championships because Ferrari screwed it up. Yes, there's an element of that but it feels to me that a lot of the Ferrari, driver and management, errors were down to the immense and relentless pressure that Hamilton and Mercedes put them under. They choked.

Soldato
Ferrari would likely have won with Lewis Hamilton. Or Verstappen, who has shown good qualifying speed and then a great ability to control a race once at the front. Or Alonso, who drove the wheels off the McLaren. Or Ricciardo, who had sub-par year due to car issues but still performed reasonably well himself.

But all these drivers would still need to overcome the shortcomings of the Ferrari trackside operational management, which didn't exactly cover itself in glory all season.

I just hope that this doesn't go down as the season Hamilton and Mercedes won the championships because Ferrari screwed it up. Yes, there's an element of that but it feels to me that a lot of the Ferrari, driver and management, errors were down to the immense and relentless pressure that Hamilton and Mercedes put them under. They choked.
indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom