Android mini pc (MK802). Anyone got one ?

Associate
At the moment i use my launch PS3 as an HTPC, however, since being reballed, and probably due to rubbish thermal grease it became very loud. Also i cant really justify 200w electricity eating machine anymore. And its on for long periods, so cost and noise starts to get to me.

So i decided to put in an android mini pc in its place, since apparently it can do pretty much all ps3 can (sans ps3 gaming that is, which is not essential at this point). It draws just a tiny fraction of power of what ps3 does AND its solid state and completely fanless/silent.

Anyone got one of these Allwinner A10 MK802 devices ? How are they ? Do you use touchpaded keyboard or a mouse ? If you have one is it 512mb or 1gb ? Is it fast enough compared to smartphones UI wise ?

I cant seem to find any comprehensive hands on, device is still new...

So, anyone ?

UPDATE 1: I have found a "workaround" for the problem - BOOT DEVICE UNPLUGGED FROM HDMI.

UPDATE 2: Aaaand overnight power supply/adapter died... mk802 is ok, but can only be powered via usb...Just, because 500mA is not enough to drive it...

UPDATE 3: Apparently "hdmi workaround" was a fluke. Cant be reproduced. Today, after replacing its original DC supply with my old HTC TP Pro charger (5v 2a mini usb end) tried to get some streaming done - cant reach speeds over 400-500kbps. Period...

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC? Thats cheaper yet and using a dedicated HTPC OS rather than Android where you may struggle to find software capable of playing all filetypes. Pi also has 2 USB ports and an Ethernet port.

Associate
OP
Well, spec wise rasp-pi is blown out of the water by mk802(256mb vs 1gb ram, about twice the cpu mhz-wise), and software is there. I've been playing all relevant files on my android phones for ages too...

I'm fishing for hands on experience and control options...

Soldato
Just been reading up on these. Going to get one myself for the "main tv" so i don't have to lug the Xbox down all the time.

There is a large thread over on xda. Quite a few have one and are impressed.

I was going to get the PI but this looks a lot better for my needs. Now just need to find somewhere that sells one!

Associate
OP

Again, its about half of mk802. Ports are fine, but processing power is way down there...

I'm getting mk802 on ebay, for 46 quid +5delivery. Not too bad...

Now i have to figure out how to control it. Been looking at things, mostly w-less keyboards with touchpads, bit it just doesnt do it for me as a remote control. So i came across something called Mele F10, which is sort of like air mouse, most likely driven by a gyro, plus a keyboard, plus a "normal" remote. All three in one... At a cost of about 20-25 quid... THE question now is will mk802 recognize it... Anyone own mele f10 ? Did w7 required special drivers for it to work, or is it just translated internally to a normal mouse+kbd operation ?

I'd like to get my hands on PXI Cotton Candy micro pc, but i most definitely not paying 200 dollars for one more core...

Man of Honour
I would personaly just build a value HTPC around Ubuntu rather than use Android.
Why?
More expensive, bigger uglier box, more power consumption, for what benefit?

Why not a Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC? Thats cheaper yet and using a dedicated HTPC OS rather than Android where you may struggle to find software capable of playing all filetypes. Pi also has 2 USB ports and an Ethernet port.

It cant run drm files. Limiting its use as a hTPc massively, exactly why I hope there will be a win8 one, as that will support any drm, be it Zune, iTunes, blinkbox and all the others that don't have android based apps.
Like r-pi does not run netflix

Last edited:
Soldato
Always just used a playonhd mini used very little power silent running and plays 25GB 1080p without an issue. As far as I know its quite an old chip in them as well so I do not imagine all these new powerful little android pcs should have an issue.?

Back
Top Bottom