Android mini pc (MK802). Anyone got one ?

Man of Honour
Another thing is, x86 cpus would make the software side of things easier.

Harder in fact. Because unless you run windows or OsX on it, you will have a night mare with DRM issues. Unless of course you are just streaming, but then why go x86 which is more expensive, bigger and power hungry.

Associate
OP
Well, the mk802 i just got is a biggest disappointment i had in recent times.
Device works more or less fine, albeit a tiny little bit laggy, except its absolutely and completely useless due to critical WiFi issues.

What i mean by this - it wont connect to anything at more than ~300-600kbps.
I have checked my network and everything is fine. I have three android devices that easily connect to my wifi at speeds of up to 8mbps (internet speed, lot lan. which is fine here). Changed channels, disabled all wireless devices in my house to test. No other interfering wifi networks nearby, i live in the sticks... Even changed encryption to wep, just to see... (should prolly try no encryption, but i doubt it will change things in any way...)

Been reading some sites that suggested that hdmi cable generates interference. In that case the rest of devices would have been jammed as well, which they weren't. What a load of ********...

Now i will have to deal with ebay returns to hongkong and i'm NOT HAPPY.

I am very seriously disapponted in this product. And apparently its not just me...

Gah...

If anyone have any ideas aas to what else i can try, please chip in...

Associate
Well, the mk802 i just got is a biggest disappointment i had in recent times.
Device works more or less fine, albeit a tiny little bit laggy, except its absolutely and completely useless due to critical WiFi issues.

What i mean by this - it wont connect to anything at more than ~300-600kbps.
I have checked my network and everything is fine. I have three android devices that easily connect to my wifi at speeds of up to 8mbps (internet speed, lot lan. which is fine here). Changed channels, disabled all wireless devices in my house to test. No other interfering wifi networks nearby, i live in the sticks... Even changed encryption to wep, just to see... (should prolly try no encryption, but i doubt it will change things in any way...)

Been reading some sites that suggested that hdmi cable generates interference. In that case the rest of devices would have been jammed as well, which they weren't. What a load of ********...

Now i will have to deal with ebay returns to hongkong and i'm NOT HAPPY.

I am very seriously disapponted in this product. And apparently its not just me...

Gah...

If anyone have any ideas aas to what else i can try, please chip in...

I was in the process off getting one to try, my main concern was that some say wireless g, and some say wirless N for this device, that in itself with other people selling theres on ebay put me on hold making a purchase to date.

to be honest apple tv3 hacked off course is the one iam looking at although firecore still has to get it finished for the atv3.

Kenneth.

to add its states 1ghz others say 1.5ghz !

Associate
OP
I have found a "workaround" for the problem - BOOT DEVICE UNPLUGGED FROM HDMI. Then plug in video and do speedtest - result, about 4.5mbps, which is fairynuff for local streaming, which is what its intended to do...

So, there you go. i'd say this is something that could be fixed with a fw update, no ?

UPDATE: Aaaand overnight power supply/adapter died... mk802 is ok, but can only be powered via usb...Just, because 500mA is not enough to drive it...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update: Apparently "hdmi workaround" was a fluke. Cant be reproduced. Today, after replacing its original DC supply with my old HTC TP Pro charger (5v 2a mini usb end) tried to get some streaming done - cant reach speeds over 400-500kbps. Period...

Definitely sending it back. Not sure yet if for refund or replacement...

Man of Honour
Finally arrived, getting 21mbs on wifi, loving it. Tiny and quite. Runs Netflix great.

Now need to get a tiny remote for it.

Just have to decide if I buy another one of these, or have a look at the slightly more powerful ones.

img0522lr.jpg

img0523ry.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite like the look of these, the smart functions of my tv are well pretty rubbish if you ask me, so this may possibly fit the bill, looking around there seems to be so many different models, typical spec's are stating 1.5ghz where 1ghz cpu + 500mhz gpu and ram although states 1gb then says between 512mb-1gb is this the norm?

Associate
Finally arrived, getting 21mbs on wifi, loving it. Tiny and quite. Runs Netflix great.

Now need to get a tiny remote for it.

Just have to decide if I buy another one of these, or have a look at the slightly more powerful ones.

img0522lr.jpg

img0523ry.jpg

I want to order one but I don't know if could trust aliexpress or other sellers.
Can you tell me (post or pm) where to get one of those please?

Man of Honour
I got it off eBay, you can get them off uk sellers if you want to pay extra.

Oh they have a mk2 out, wonder if that's any faster. It would be nice with a bit more speed, to load things faster.

Yep can't wait for proper internals. They are going to be amazing. They aren't the snappiest ATM.

Caporegime
Anyone seen the MK808 is now out?

Upgraded specs include:

• Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
  • Dual-core A9 1.6ghz
  • Quad Core Mali-400
  • Dual WiFi antennae

Looks pretty damn sweet for $60!

Video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJSECBP2VE

It's only a matter of time before Quad Core A9 CPU versions are released, and then you have a seriously capable little Micro-PC that will chew through high bitrate 1080p.

Add to that A15 and Mali 604-powered sticks in the not-too-distant future (within a 6-12 months I reckon) that will chew through anything and play games like a laptop, and things are going to get a little crazy in the HTPC world and I think this market segment is going to explode.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom