**Announcing the Overclockers UK Racing Championship**

Associate
Well done, I'll see the top three in July :)

You boys are going to have a seriously brilliant day, I'm a bit jealous I can't do it again...Rich you stuffy get, it's you're second go, try and get 4th spot lol

I don't think I'll have much of a choice m8 lol, you never know, 3rd times a charm and all that ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Current weather forecast for Bedford on the day sunny/cloudy and 14deg C, so looking good.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and seeing how quick all you 'relative to me' youngsters are gonna be and believe me, the 'instructors/go faster goaders' let you have free rein and take the cars to the max. :D

Associate
Wow that forecast sounds nice, it was brass monkeys last time out. Thank god for those hospitality units by each event...I know it goes without saying but have fun guys, wish I was going there with you. Gutted Lewis didn't make it through considering how well he went in December. I found one or two of the instructors a bit intruive on the dual controls Rich, but wicked fun nonetheless. The 3 events without instructors were my best, karting, caterham pursuit and the F3000, I won all of those only beaten in the karts and F3000 by the VIP guest who beat me but wasn't included in the rankings.

Associate
is it actually a normal full day programme? i assume it is with it finishing at 17.30.
absoutely amazing prize to be honest, worth £1k. seems almost too good to be true really, i kinda hope overclockers are making extra sales from all this, hopefully this becomes an annual competition.

last time i did palmersport was in 2011, a wet november, morning half day programme. always said i'd do it again - only taken 5 years!

landrover was a bit sedate, i guess midly amusing if you've not done any offroading before (which i hadnt). i remember the karts being average, just standard 4 stroke sodi's i think. everything else was pretty exhilarating.

but looks like they've changed the lineup for 2017 and its all a mouth watering prospect.

i desperately wanted to do a track day last summer before uni, palmersport is easily the best value for what you get, in terms of machinery, track time, the track itself, and how much you're allowed to push, even the half day ones are still better value than anything else. Easily the best value for money experience days in the UK, along with phil price rally school.

if anyone fancies doing an evening programme in may or in the summer, give us a shout!

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, dual controls suck but they gotta cater for all levels I suppose, to maximise revenue and minimise crash costs haha.

@hajiohaa , are you the King of the hell winner?
Yeah, a full day of driving worth a grand-ish. :)

Wasn't there talk of going to a different, proper size racetrack for the finals?

Plus I reckon the grand prize is a seasons racing in a OcUK liveried touring car or something, that would be a sweet 1st prize :eek::D

Last edited:
Associate
Lots of hints about the final but nothing solid...

Bit optimistic on the top prize Rich...although that would be awesome. Not sure I could fit it in around work though, gotta pay those bills.

Associate
Lots of hints about the final but nothing solid...

Bit optimistic on the top prize Rich...although that would be awesome. Not sure I could fit it in around work though, gotta pay those bills.

Yeah, stretching it a bit about the drive as a prize, maybe they'll give away that Monster Orion PC they took on the roadshows.

You're sounding confident about the final in July, did you do that Ginetta track day after? Any good?

Associate
Not confident just dreaming Rich :) as I'm sure we all are, making it to the final was a huge shock for me, I did really badly in JP-LMP cars on the same track so wasn't expecting much ...
Ginetta day is a week on Wednesday (5th April). Really looking forward to it, 3x20 minute sessions around silverstone. I just hope my back holds up as it's being a bit niggly at the moment.

Associate
so what were the track limit rules at bedford?
at least 2 wheels inside of the white line i assume?

Yeah, pretty much. I thought you'd been before?

So excited for this! Went 18 months ago and it's the best thing I've done on track. I've wanted to go again but just can't quite justify the outlay. So this is so awesome to go for free!! :D

Associate
What a time for my TomTom to have a benny.

Have to dig the map out but I will be there.

See you all tomorrow after my 3hr drive :rolleyes:

@Born2BSlow , is that Ginetta day you're going on connected to the 'want2race' entries as well?

Associate
Not sure Rich, it's called a taster session in the e-mail...the offer was for 8 spare places so it might be some spares they had on one of their want2race corporate events.

Just looked at weather forecast for Bedford...it's dry every day except tomorrow. Take your wellies people. Damn shame, the weather's been lovely lately too. Take care travelling to it and keep out of those tyre walls.

Oh and report back in here about what blast it was :)

Last edited:
Associate
Raining in Wales atm, surprise surprise but looked at Bedford and it's warm/cloudy all day until 4pm, then it's rain.
Just about the time the f3000s start

Associate
Thanks to all at Overclockers for another amazing track day experience.

The weather held out for us and we only had a little bit of drizzle that came to nothing during the Clio round.

All the other competitors were awesomely quick and able to be really fast in the short time, (8/10 laps on each track/car combo), that we had in each of the cars.

Improved my time by 6secs in the F3000s from last time, I'll have to actually have a look at the videos and datalogging to where I'm bleeding time in that car but I was just losing time everywhere. :D

Well done to the top 3 on getting through and it was good to meet you all.

Associate
Well that was a cracking day wasn't it!

Well chuffed to get through, but gutted to lose my 1:15.14 and a 1:15.24. Must have been for track limits, but I watched MO's 1:15.18 lap back and it looked like he hit a yellow marker at the exit of T5, and had all 4 wheels on the white lines so I think we'll need another chat about what's legal and what's not in the final :D

Huge huge thanks to OC for an amazing day and competition, and commiserations to the 3 that didn't make it, especially Matty.. look out round 3, that guy's FAST!:eek:

Associate
Well chuffed to get through, but gutted to lose my 1:15.14 and a 1:15.24. Must have been for track limits, but I watched MO's 1:15.18 lap back and it looked like he hit a yellow marker at the exit of T5, and had all 4 wheels on the white lines so I think we'll need another chat about what's legal and what's not in the final :D

hey dude, was great to be in with some serious drivers on the day, was pretty intense!
which corner you referring to, T5? Do you mean T3? We both cut that corner by the same amount, maybe they thought we didn't gain an advantage or something.

I agree, definitely need them to tell us precisely what is allowed. I was trying to be extra safe on that final chicane and hardly cut it, went too conservative. Coz I thought the sensors were perpendicular to those strips, so i avoided them completely.
On your lap you went right up to the yellow strips, i should have done the same really.
Probably another half a second there alone!

they should have just kept it simple and said '2 wheels inside white lines at all times'.....maybe they should just make that the rule going forward.

i think the guy was getting annoyed with me pestering him about track limits and in the end he said 'just keep it on the black stuff' lol
but its like.....we actually do need to know. its like simracing haha.

but yeh, great competition and serious pace from you guys, i felt most comfortable with the f3000 compared to the others. Didn't get along with that clio at all, could barely see over the steering wheel. Need to bring about 4 cushions for the final...
in the f3000 i lost about 2 laps at the beginning as i realised i wasn't sat high enough, had to switch off engine, get out car and put in more padding.

so note to other competitors - if you're only 5 ft 6...bring a lot of foam padding with you...

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
And all 4 over the white here:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/saxojimbo/IMG_4626.png

So it's anyone's guess what we can do haha!

yeh, if i analyse both laps properly (i really should be doing uni work :D) their decisions actually make sense. I can actually see where the sensors are now, they are perpendicular going away from the track. For some dumb reason i thought they were pointing towards the track from the yellow kerb....

fzJ3Jfs.jpg PEtV1zB.jpg

but yeh, at T3 ('im just counting the corners from start/finish line) we both did the same thing and both didn't touch the sensor, so they were clearly fine with that.

For that other image, i wouldn't have gained any advantage, i ran wide and had to come out the throttle, so they would have taken that into account - makes sense. They did say if no advantage gained then its fine.
Where you really gained time on me was at that final chicane, i was way too conservative. So basically the rules are actually straight forward - anything up to the yellow kerb on the chicanes are fine. I wish they'd just ... said that, On the day, would have been very clear then. At least i know where to find time now!

yuQxjXp.jpg QvBNFD2.jpg
8G0PYRD.jpg Y4aSbBD.jpg

so yeh, wouldn't worry about it dude, all good to me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom