Annual clothing budget blown in a week.

Man of Honour
New socks, new underwear once a year to refresh them. Other than that, every few years a new coat and perhaps a new hoody and new jeans when they wear out.

I can't say I spend that much on clothes, I used to but not anymore.

Anyone else find that they spend less as they get older?

I don’t care about clothes anymore.

Less fussed about spending big money on a car.

Over holidays.

Still enjoy a good gaming setup.

Is this why old people don’t do or spend as much? Suddenly I don’t think I need such a big pension if I live that long.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Over holidays.

Is this why old people don’t do or spend much? Suddenly I don’t think I need such a big pension if I live that long.

It's just more of "I don't care what anyone else think" and "who am I trying to impress?" mindset.

I wear socks until they have holes in, I wear jeans until there is hole in the crotch! I have a couple of T-shirts that have so many holes it looks distress and probably cost £200 if you see it in on a rack lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Same. I buy as and when I need. I don't give a toss about fashion. Jeans / tshirt / polo shirts / jumpers is pretty much my go to.

I pretty much live in my gym shorts and t shirt these days, certainly in the summer, it’s my comfiest outfit and best fits me :)

Couldn’t give a toss what anyone thinks. It’s funny to think back to when a business wouldn’t let you in because of your trainers, I don’t think anyone cares anymore and I’m equally happy to take my money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I pretty much live in my gym shorts and t shirt these days, certainly in the summer, it’s my comfiest outfit and best fits me :)

Couldn’t give a toss what anyone thinks. It’s funny to think back to when a business wouldn’t let you in because of your trainers, I don’t think anyone cares anymore and I’m equally happy to take my money elsewhere.

I mean at work I do wear slacks/chinos and a shirt, but I wear trainers. I haven't worn a suit in ages.

Soldato
Same. I buy as and when I need. I don't give a toss about fashion. Jeans / tshirt / polo shirts / jumpers is pretty much my go to.

I hear you but people seem to be making a really basic link for not buying clothes often with being scruffy. You can buy nice stuff and it still lasts you years if you don't become too fat or too thin etc.
That said, I do not like wearing formal clothing and luckily there is no situation where I need to.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I have settled on plain black T-shirts, straight jeans and plain Nike trainers and a plain navy or black hoody. Most of it from Primark. I am aware of cheap fashion but if I can get a year out of it, which I do, it's fine by me. I just get like a dozen of the same, and work my way through it.

Man of Honour
I mean at work I do wear slacks/chinos and a shirt, but I wear trainers. I haven't worn a suit in ages.

We still have to wear a suit a lot of the time unfortunately, although I do have a work branded sports kit that I can wear on certain days at least. Everything seems a lot more chilled post Covid.

I have settled on plain black T-shirts, straight jeans and plain Nike trainers and a plain navy or black hoody. Most of it from Primark. I am aware of cheap fashion but if I can get a year out of it, which I do, it's fine by me. I just get like a dozen of the same, and work my way through it.

I’ve got lots of great Primark clothes. A lot of it is great value and looks tidy too.

The trickiest is finding appropriate XL/2XL clothing most of the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Including shoes, coats everything you wear, I reckon £200 annually on average, possibly not even that.

I mostly buy clothes from either Tesco, Primark or eBay.

I actually need a few t-shirts, I'll have a look in eBay later after some beers.

Soldato
I don't have a budget, I currently have 5 pairs of trainers I alternate (including 1 pair for running) a chair full of immediate clothes to wear and a wardrobe full of backup clothes and a suitcase that's full of clothes that hasn't been unpacked for about 10 years but the clothes are perfectly wearable
:cry:

Soldato

Over holidays.

Is this why old people don’t do or spend as much? Suddenly I don’t think I need such a big pension if I live that long.
Nope, I've gone the other way. Used to live in jeans an a t shirt, now I've got loads of different stuff.

Man of Honour
I hear you but people seem to be making a really basic link for not buying clothes often with being scruffy. You can buy nice stuff and it still lasts you years if you don't become too fat or too thin etc.
That said, I do not like wearing formal clothing and luckily there is no situation where I need to.

Oh no, I get that. Looking scruffy to make a point is daft, and looking scruffy just isn't my bag. You don't have to spend a lot or often to look acceptable IMO.

I mean I buy 3 pairs of jeans a year, they only last a year because I burn through them quickly (and I have large thighs that rub a hole in them!).

Smart shirts last me a couple of years and I tend to have a dozen or so on the go, enough to be able to wash, iron and have some spares without constantly needing to wash and iron!

I have a disproportionate amount of sports related wear as I do a fair bit of it. Rash guards, compression tops and bottoms, hoodies, etc... but I only ever wear them for exercise. I don't like leaving the house in sportswear unless I'm actually going to do actual sport!

I don't mind wearing a suit as needed, i.e. going to the HoP or meeting VIPs - but to be honest, I've got to the stage now where I don't really care - unless it absolutely states shirt and tie, I won't! :o

Soldato
Apart from a recent splurge on some new trainers, the clothes I buy the most are workwear like polo shirts and work trousers from Screwfix! They have either worn through, got too many layers of paint and silicone on them or I've set them on fire. Probably the next time I'll wear a suit is when someone I know dies.

Back
Top Bottom