Annual clothing budget blown in a week.

Soldato
You aren't interested in what you wear at all?
Not a dig. I don't even really like getting clothes from people at all due to preference.

No dig taken :)

That's the best part of being nearly 50, you're past caring what other people think of you. I wear jeans and a t-shirt 99% of the time, at work and at home. If someone cares about what they wear, it's because for some reason they care what OTHER PEOPLE think of what they look like.

I lose zero sleep thinking about other peoples perception of me. I don't care what anyone thinks I look like :) I don't have time to be concerned about what other people think I look like or want to get their approval for what I wear, to make myself feel accepted by them, it's just a stupid waste of my time and I'm not doing it.

I do get it that younger adults may care what others think they look like, but that's their issue to deal with, not mine. It's liberating.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's the best part of being nearly 50, you're past caring what other people think of you. I wear jeans and a t-shirt 99% of the time, at work and at home. If someone cares about what they wear, it's because for some reason they care what OTHER PEOPLE think of what they look like.

I lose zero sleep thinking about other peoples perception of me. I don't care what anyone thinks I look like :) I don't have time to be concerned about what other people think I look like or want to get their approval for what I wear, to make myself feel accepted by them, it's just a stupid waste of my time and I'm not doing it.

I do get it that younger adults may care what others think they look like, but that's their issue to deal with, not mine. It's liberating.
Does your partner not care what you look like?

I’m sure they would care if you took better care of yourself or your image. Would you be happy if your partner didn't take any care of their imagine?

Caporegime

For me I also don't care what people think of me. But u like my clothes to be what I like if that makes sense. I love bright bold colours and dislike the drab reds/navy/black see so often.
I actually care what I wear more now than I ever have for some reason

Caporegime

I’m sure they would care if you took better care of yourself or your image. Would you be happy if your partner didn't take any care of their imagine?

Where did he say he didn't take care of himself?

You can look great in jeans and a T-shirt as long as you're well groomed and in decent shape.

What you wear and taking care of yourself aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's the saying, it takes a lot of money to look this trashy, I am ultra casual ( you want buy my big issue ?) with occasional days with the linen look , I don't like touristy surf t-shirts just usually blue to go with my stunning eyes (just saying, maybe red Saturday morning)

Soldato

She's the one that buys my clothes for me. She buys nice stuff, well fitted and suits my body shape. She has no complaints on how I look :D
(I go to the gym a lot and I'm in good shape for my age)

daz

daz

Soldato

I don't think that's true.
Even if you don't care what people think of you, your clothing should still fit appropriately.
Even if you don't care what people think it's probably best if it doesn't have holes in it.
You should also dress appropriately for the occasion, whether that's a job interview, nice restaurant or a work or networking event. It's not necessarily caring what people think, it's being socially aware of what is expected of a way to dress.

There are lots of reasons to care about the clothes you wear outside of caring what other people think.

Caporegime
Even if you don't care what people think of you, your clothing should still fit appropriately.
Even if you don't care what people think it's probably best if it doesn't have holes in it.
You should also dress appropriately for the occasion, whether that's a job interview, nice restaurant or a work or networking event. It's not necessarily caring what people think, it's being socially aware of what is expected of a way to dress.

There are lots of reasons to care about the clothes you wear outside of caring what other people think.

I do disagree with having to dress a certain way for certain places.
I find it a bit weird myself.

Dirty clothes, that's something different. But I don't understand why need to wear a suit to work. I mean now I don't need to wear smart clothes for interviews in tech. So things are changing.

I've never owned less shirts than I do now. And most of those (about 5) I have barely worn. One for a funeral and one for a meal I think in 2 years

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if you don't care what people think of you, your clothing should still fit appropriately. - It does, fits very well
Even if you don't care what people think it's probably best if it doesn't have holes in it - They don't, I throw out stuff that gets worn
You should also dress appropriately for the occasion, whether that's a job interview, nice restaurant or a work or networking event. It's not necessarily caring what people think, it's being socially aware of what is expected of a way to dress - see comment below :)

I wear jeans and a t-shirt 99% of the time.....I didn't say I was 100% jeans and t-shirt :)

Where appropriate, I suit up accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't have a budget, don't buy stuff that often, when I do it's good quality stuff that lasts. Prefer Diesel jeans which fit well and last a while, last few pairs I've got for about 60 quid each off the bay.

Got a new winter coat recently Fjallraven, 70 quid, only been worn a few times.

Don't see the point buying new when people let brand new stuff go for peanuts. Cept undercrackers and sock of course. Buy Darn Tough socks when they're on sale, likewise Under Armour boxerjocks.

Works out cheaper than high street crap that falls to bits.

Soldato
I think my wife got sick of me looking like a scruffy so and so, I used to spend loads on clothes when I was young but now I really can't be bothered, rather spend it on the kids or my PC so she usually just gets me stuff she knows I will like.

I do buy my own trainers but even that is starting to get less and less often, I only really have 2-3 good/decent pairs and one good set of shoes....you know for when she makes me wash and go out.

Soldato
I had a photoshoot in work a couple of weeks back

In work its generally quite casual, so a lot of the IT staff wear jeans, t-shirt, nice casual shoes etc

Anyway, i volunteered for a photo-shoot.

Asking the friendly organiser :) what was the dress code for the photoshoot, the words smart business / business casual, came out

Not bad i thought, later proceeding to go home, and try on some of formal clothes i had (AKA Smart business) from about 2 years ago, which was hardly worn, practically brand new.

"looks in to the mirror"

Wow, i have put on weight, my belly was popping out,

"next shirt"

the same

"next shirt"

the same

Anyway, to cut a long story short, i went to next, i get so frustrated with some areas of clothes shopping, couldnt find what i wanted,

ended up spending about £140 on a few shirts and a couple of pairs of trousers.

Done the photoshoot,

returned everything apart from one shirt and one pair of trousers

I usually have to buy socks more than anything as i keep putting holes in them when i put them on my feet.

also hate it when you like something, then in 2 years the shop has replaced it with some bizaar pattern because "thats what's in" this season

TLDR - Unless its a plain black muscle fit t-shirt, a plain grey muscle fit t-shirt, and black jeans - I am very fussy :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't have a budget, don't buy stuff that often, when I do it's good quality stuff that lasts. Prefer Diesel jeans which fit well and last a while, last few pairs I've got for about 60 quid each off the bay.

Got a new winter coat recently Fjallraven, 70 quid, only been worn a few times.

Don't see the point buying new when people let brand new stuff go for peanuts. Cept undercrackers and sock of course. Buy Darn Tough socks when they're on sale, likewise Under Armour boxerjocks.

Works out cheaper than high street crap that falls to bits.
You can get some cracking stuff on vinted.
Better for women as women buy/sell more clothes. But still some good bargains.

Caporegime
Wearing your dad's and your sister's boyfriend's hand-me-downs is next level.

I wore really old stuff out and about before I broke my anxiety and started buying clothes I liked.

So didn't really care what I wore. But I still bought my own stuff. Much of my prior disinterest in clothes was I just didn't like the standard look. But was too anxious about not fitting in. I now own no jeans.. Because I hate them. I always have.

Since breaking away though I actually enjoy picking out an outfit that like. Even if no one else likes it!

Back
Top Bottom