• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Another dead 2080ti

Associate
I

Thought ssd had failed so took that out and have put windows on M2 fresh.

Just went to put ssd back in as now it's turned out to be the card and I've just snapped the sata connecter on the ssd :mad::mad::mad:

Today just gets better !!!

To be fair mine was a little different. I didn’t have the space invaders and my pc would boot but as soon as I logged into windows my screen would go black. Yours definitely seems like more of a GPU issue than mine did and mine definitely turned out to be a GPU issue.

Soldato
Associate
Had a problem yesterday display went off and then couldn't boot windows .

Couldn't get pc to boot . Wiped it fresh install

Ran on onboard graphics
Installed 2080ti new drivers
Opened heaven and have a screen full of space invaders

I presume nothing else would cause this ???

Can I asked how overclocked it was on the gpu and ram ?

Associate
OP
Can I asked how overclocked it was on the gpu and ram ?

Just the factory overclock bud
The card would over clock I had it at 2000mhz on a benchmark once but I only play rainbow 6 mainly and it gets 150 plus FPS at 4k max
The memory wouldn't over clock at all.

It posted this morning but had worse space invaders than last night and now will not boot pc. If gou is in slot I get the MSI logo then usb items all power off and it stays a black screen.

As soon as card out pc operates fine. I'm just in the process of getting another GPU to confirm it's not psu or PCI slot but with it being the space invaders I'm pretty sure it's the 2080

Soldato
Really surprised this is still a problem there must be rather a lot of test samples that have escaped into the wild :eek:

They probably ALL have the defect, it's just luck whether it presents itself of not. Nvidia are likely still pushing the original batch of chips they produced as they aren't selling all that many.

Man of Honour
Yeah, all Turing cards with gddr6 have the same issue (includes 2080 and 2070 - just that their mem isn't clocked as high as the 2080ti, so the failure rate is less pronounced)

Man of Honour
Though it seems that all gddr6 (micron, Sammy, hynix) are prone to failure, so speculatively, I suspect it's a mem controller or chip design flaw.
Who knows?

Either way, I'm definitely avoiding this round of GPUs. 1080ti serving me well so far.

And anyone who buys a second hand Turing GPU is a mug. I expect 2nd hand Turing prices to tank, given all it's reliability issues (again, speculation here)

Associate
OP
should have kept my 1080 !!! Old faithful!!! Anyhow if I buy another can I use that for a week and send back or is that something that u cannot do anymore (dsr) ??

You just cannot trust the 2080ti which bothers me as in stuck with a £1000 monitor that's requires that card I'd say for upcoming games

Man of Honour
Anyhow if I buy another can I use that for a week and send back or is that something that u cannot do anymore (dsr) ??
you could, in theory.
but the retailer is allowed to charge you a restocking fee. up to 15% of the price IIRC (don't quote me on the exact %age though).

Soldato
Half tempted buy a Vega 64 and wait till something better comes along if I get money back on the card

That's probably not a bad idea.

Personally I would be skipping the 20** series of cards.

They could all potentially be ticking time bombs as far as reliability is concerned.

If I owned one, I would forever be thinking, is this going to be the day it breaks, or every game I played, will it make it through the session?

Associate
OP
I managed to get into windows I down clocked the memory to 6000 it ran for 7 mins on rainbow 6 then I completed space invaders it was worse than yesterday totally filled screen .

Associate
I managed to get into windows I down clocked the memory to 6000 it ran for 7 mins on rainbow 6 then I completed space invaders it was worse than yesterday totally filled screen .

It actually reminds me of Jean Michel Jarre cover artwork for Equinox, a few years before the Sinclair ZX81 came out. Incidentally the ZX81 was the first ever computer I touched as a kid of which I would have been around 4 years of age back in 1981. I recently brought my ZX81 as well as my Atari 800 XL down from the loft. Sadly I'm not seeing any power from my Atari 800 XL anymore for some reason.

Anyways here's the Jean Michel Jarre and his full Equinox album.... :). A big idol of mine as a kid growing up and thus reflected in my own orchestral trance music today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAhgz9aLukk

Soldato
Just RMA the card, I got my replacement within 4 working days.

The replacement is fine and overclocked - but some games still crash to desktop (no artifacting though) which makes me wonder if the new 2080ti is dying, but a quick google search suggests it's widespread.

For instance I'm trying to play Hitman 2 and it crashes, especially on the Columbia map while the intro cutscene is playing - on other forums there are heaps of RTX owners complaining about the exact same crashes, turns out something in the game doesn't work well with Turing and the Developers haven't fixed it even though it's been known for over 3 months now

I just finished playing Metro Exodus and that had zero crashes or issues

Back
Top Bottom